My first dollhouse.....BOOK

MiniDoxLuvr

This is not aobut my first dollhouse, but rather the first book that I read when i was eight years old and what is single handedly responsible for catapulting my love for the dollshouse today .....

The book is called "Big Susan". I read it in 1975 when it was on its second reprint. Originally was copyrighted in 1945. GOD I LOVED THAT BOOK and for the past 25 years, off and on, i have tried to find a copy of it and never could. I had gotten it from the Library back then...

And lo and behold, guess what one of my anniversary gifts was this year? It was our first Anniversary, the "paper anniversary" and somehow my hubby remembered me talking about this book and ALSO it was reprinted again this year. He found it thru Amazon!

I cannot tell you the thrill and nostalgia that washed over me reading this book. The best part is they used all original illustrations, and it was the illustrations that I remembered in vivid detail.

It was an extradordinary gift, even tho seeming so simple. IT meant so much to me! I have been looking for this book for several decades! The book is about a dollhouse and a young girl named Susan...she normally cared for her doll family very well, and the premise is after six weeks of neglect the doll family wonders if Susan, who normally takes care of them, will be back in time for Christmas. And the family comes to life every christmas night!

I made my very first dollhouse at the age of 11 out of cardboard, real house paint, and glue and straight pins and it was modeled to look just like Susan's dollhouse. It actually looked pretty good. I was too young for a saw so I had to use cardboard panels vs plywood. I took brown file folders to make shingles and cut each square out singly...

I loved that book! A GREAT gift for any young girl who loves dollhouses (or in this case, an old gal like me LOL).

What a lovely story! I'll have to go find that book.

It's amazing how a book will captivate us as a child, and hang on through adulthood. For me, it was Little Men, by Louisa May Alcott. I LOVE that book...almost knew it by heart, as a child. I'd read two pages, then tell myself what I was going to find on the NEXT pages, then turn the page. I still have my very tattered and torn childhood copy. Little Women was wonderful...but never compared to Little Men.

There is one chapter there that talks about not a dollhouse, but a child-sized kitchen, and a real child-sized cookstove that works, and all that goes with it. I dreamed about having that for myself!

It was awesom of your husband to remember it, and find the book for you! He's definitely a keeper!

thanks for letting us know abt Big Susan and your enchantment.

oh, it sounds like a marvellous book, and what a perfect gift.

i agree - hug that fella!

:lol: Thank you so much for sharing information about " Big Susan." As it happens I found your post at a time when I was supposed to be searching the Internet for book ideas for my little grandniece-- she turns 6 next month, and we always buy her books for her birthday-- so this was pure serendipity. I enjoyed reading the Amazon reviews: one reviewer said this book was worthy of running in to save during a house fire! Golly. I look forward to reading it myself before I send it on to Alabama.

Thank you for giving me the idea of reading the AMazon reviews. I am shocked at how many others ALSO had been looking for that book for years and years!

It truly must have some magic to it !! I figured I was the only one looking for a childrens book for so many years !! LOL At least several others were also looking for it!

I might have to write my own review!

• 3 weeks later...

What a thoughtful thing for your husband to do. I'm going to have to look for that book. I never read Little Men either, will have to pick that one up as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have discovered a lot of Louisa Mae Alcott's books in thrift stores lately, and have gone on a binge to read them! I knew she was a pastor's daughter and had always wondered at how fresh and rather un-Victorian her stories were. She was truly a woman ahead of her time!