Wood turnings

Hallowell

They're beautiful, Greg. Just a little finishing and they'll dress up any little house!

So this was done on a Dremel lathe, eh? <fingers itching> DH has been telling me I need to get one. Mebbe he's right!

Absolutely gorgeous turnings Greg. You should do more.

I have a passion for wood turnings after seeing a gentleman make some quite a few years ago. He even made his own lathe because no lathe on the market was "good enough"

Here's a baby rattle that I stood and watched him make. It was made from one block of wood and nothing is glued together. Hmmm, how'd he do that.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, that rattle is so cool. I'm always amazed at how they make these things out of one piece of wood.

I've also done turnings on the dremel tool itself by placing the piece of wood in the collet at the tip of the dremel drill. I did this many years ago and will have to try again.

Loving these Greg, so it was a Dremel lathe you used hu?!? Hmmm, just might need to takl myself into getting one of those then, I just love the regular Dremel so....

Hugs and thanks for sharing these gems with us!

I don't think Dremel makes the lathe or the "workshop" any longer, but you could probably make a vertical mount for the rotary tool and possibly jury-rig the bed and tailstock. I turned the toothpicks to make rungs for my ladderback chair by chucking the pick in the smallest mandrel I have. I used DH's big lathe for the table legs.

Greg, your pieces look very nice. I'd like to learn how to turn the "barleysugar twist".

greg, these are really, really nice!

ok, Gifted Guy, i'm ready to learn that you also write operas in your "spare" time, or that you used to be an astronaut, or that sometimes you go out with the crew of the Calypso and dabble with dolphins on your way to that next Geographic expedition you're leading.

and for goodness sakes, look in more of those boxes!

Harbor Freight used to sell a little hobby lathe that was a knock off of the lathe feature on the Unimat, but they don't seem to have it anymore. A pity, I got one a coupla years ago for about 30 bucks and it's a solid little tool, way more torque than a Dremel.

More recently I picked up one of these on sale:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=33684

Acrylic is exactly what I was thinking of using on it. I want to do the time ring support arms on the Time Machine with it. Greg, if you go with acrylic the guys in the know on Starship Modeler recommend high speed with very light passes. A few guys there have turned some amazing acrylic warp engines for scratchbuilt starships ala the Star Trek universe. The nice thing about the machine lathe is reproducability of parts, I noticed they also have a 4X5 machine lathe for 250, looks to be nicely done too.

Tom our new turner also turns some wonderful & amazing items in acrylic. I believe Dr Bob (on Small Stuff) has used his Dremel to turn acrylic wine bottles.

I'm with you, C.J.; I keep expecting Greg to announce his new novel is #1 on the NYTimes' Best-Seller list, or that he got the Nobel Prize for discovering a cure for cancer or AIDS, or that his grandfather was Tsarovitch Nicholas...

:thumb: Hi Holly and C.j., well I didn't want to say but I have done all those things you guys listed and I am now designing a ship to take me to Mars where I plan to build a martian villa overlooking a dried lakebed. But that has been postponed until I finish solving the problem of world peace, poverty and all illnesses. I'm also working on a pill to make you live forever.

But I think I'll put all that on hold so I can start my Brimbles...after all, I do have my priorities. :wave:

Those look really good! It must be hard to turn such small pieces and not have them come out lopsided or not have them break in two at the narrow parts. If that was your first effort, you should do more because you obviously have a gift for it.

Jeri

CAMERA.GIF44859-3VGA

Central Machinery 8" x 12" PRECISION MINI LATHE

addtocart.gif This is the one Santa brought me for Christmas.

I have done all those things you guys listed and I am now designing a ship to take me to Mars where I plan to build a martian villa overlooking a dried lakebed. But that has been postponed until I finish solving the problem of world peace, poverty and all illnesses. I'm also working on a pill to make you live forever.

But I think I'll put all that on hold so I can start my Brimbles...after all, I do have my priorities.

In that case I'll inform His Holiness we need to postpone the canonization ceremony.

Greg! You do beautiful work! Stop hiding your talents! Wow, those are beautiful! I have a Dremel Lathe and a repeater as well, but I could never do that! Besides I'm scared of the lathe......LOL.....

Wolfie

High speed and a delicate touch for acrylic sounds right or else you would have a melted mess. :welcome:

I use a high speed drill set in a jig I made out of high density foam and clamped to my desk to turn Light Brite pegs in to bottles. I have to put water on the pegs to keep them from melting too much. I bought the drill at a tool sale on the side of the road for $10. I'll try to take pictures tonight of all the little Gatorade bottles that I've been working on lately.

I tend to be a little nervous around power saws but the lathe never bothered me. I've always found it relaxing and I learned not to worry if a piece breaks, I could always start another.
I also enjoy the lathe. I also found out I have a blast cutting things on the scrollsaw, but I used to do a lot of machine-sewing for many, many years, and the scrollsaw works similarly. I have also found that using a push stick instead of hands & fingers makes me a LOT less panicky around the bandsaw! I have a little vise I use with my drillpress and a push stick with the router table.