how to cut apart shingles

Paula

Hi:

New here and have been building a small dollhouse (the orchid) since approx last april. Yikes this is tedious!

SO my question is...how do you cut apart the shingles? I've been using a razor blade thing in a holder for the rest of the pieces but the shingles --there are so many of them. I spray painted them red (to match the shingles on our house per dd's request)...but now comes the hard part...cutting them out! Plus what do you suggest to make the angle cuts for the dormer areas?

Thanks in advance...Paula !~ who will have more ??'s soon I'm sure!

They should just snap apart when you bend them. If you have problems & they split, I just use a utility knife. Make sure you have a new or sharp blade in it. I use the same for cutting angle cuts or if you have the time, you can try a hacksaw blade & touch it up with alittle sandpaper. You will have to experiment & see what works best for you.

I guess since you painted them first they might not "snap" out so easily. As far as cutting angles etc. I just use sissors :thumb:

They didn't snap easily before I painted them either...dh suggested painting them first and it made sense so I did. It takes a lot of strength to cut them apart and just takes time! Yikes...lots of time! thanks for your responses!

Paula

oops ...just saw the scissors thing. Perhaps the tiny cuticle ones? WIll experiment!

Hi.. I am taking apart the greenleaf shingles now. I used a x-acto knife to split down the seams. Then I cut with scissors to seperate each section. Then you should be able to easily snap each shingle off. Then I take my scissors and cut the rounded top off.

It is very tedious. Good task to do while watching a movie.

• 1 month later...

what kind of shingles are they? i bought a bag of wood shingles that were as thick as the wood from the kit walls. i used a tile cutter to cut them and it worked well.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay This may be silly, but I actually didn't cut apart the shingles into individual pieces. I left them attached in long rows and only cut the ends to make them fit. This was with Greenleaf shingles so I can't say what will work with other brands. I also did prestain the entire sheets. I took a dark stain and applied it directly with a stain pad and wiped it off right away with a towel. The stain got into the grooves and made it look like the shingles were individual. I did have to do some touch up on the ends that I did cut, but it was easy just using a cuetip. Hope this helps...