My first house: The Beacon Hill

marknyc

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of us who love high tech, AND cameras, and love to chase the megapixels, just thought you'd all like to hear about a new DIGITAL camera brought out by Hasselblad of all companies. This one is 22 Megapixels. It has every feature imaginable on a camera. The detail available would allow you to blow up pictures to almost a wall mural size (for a real home not one of our mini's).

I would love Santa to bring me one. Becuase I have checked my bank account and all my credit cards and simply cannot find a way to come up with the $26,995 cost of it. Anyone have $27 thousand (American) just laying around you need to get rid of? LOL!

Just thought I'd toss this out. IF I had even one thousand extra I can think of things I'd much rather do with it than spend it on this camera. But since we were talking of cameras and megapixels I thought it would be a nice piece of trivia for ya.

Darrell

Those are pretty! Thanks Tracy! I think the Beacon Hill and the Pierce are the most stunning houses!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too! I'd love to get a Pierce Kit. My husband will be retiring early next year ... hmmmm ... a retirement project for him.

Susanne

Ooh, what a pretty Beacon Hill!  I love the combination of the colors. 

One thing... I may be mistaken, but are some of the furniture those of 1/2 scale?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That brass set in the foyer does look tiny, it might be 1/2".

Hey everybody, it's Mark (the guy who started this thread).

Well, I gave Gerry his Beacon Hill last night. I was pretty nervous because when we were in a toy store awhile back, I pointed out a dollhouse and he told me not to get him one. But I had already been working on it for weeks so it was too late to turn back.

It wasn't completely finished (it was a lot more work that I expected), but I had all of the front done (windows, siding and shingles) so he would have a good idea of how it will eventually look.

I first gave him clues, like a piece of wallpaper and one of the punched out sheets, and he said, "Oh, no - you didn't get a dollhouse, did you?" I took a deep breath and brought it in from the bedroom. When I unveiled it, he was stunned. He loved it! He got very excited and couldn't believe how good it looked. He admitted he had always dreamed of having a dollhouse, but was too embarrassed to admit it. Here's the note he sent me today:

"Thank you again for the wonderful Beacon Hill mini. I'm still at a loss

for words to express how much I adore my new 'house' and how deeply I

appreciate all the time and effort you put in to build it.

Please thank all your mini gurus for their advice and support in helping

make a childhood dream come true. This was the best Christmas present

I've ever received and I'm finding it very difficult to concentrate on

work today because I'm fantasizing about how to fix up the different

rooms. The options are limitless! Once the house is finished, we'll

have a virtual house-warming and they're all invited."

So we're a hit! I couldn't have wished for a better reaction. We're going to complete it together, so I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon. And I'll post some more pics as soon as I can borrow a camera (the shingling turned out beautifully).

Thanks again - you're all fantastic!

Mark

Mark -

How wonderful to hear Gerry's reaction! Isn't it exciting when you present a gift that you've put so much effort into making. Now you will have such fun finishing it together! Thanks for sharing. Please post more pictures as you work on your Beacon Hill! There's lots of mini gurus on this website....I like to refer to them as mini minions (many mini minions....try saying that three times real fast).

Susanne

many mini minions....try saying that three times real fast

ROTFLMBO! I had trouble saying it once fast :D

Mark, I wish you could have taken a picture of Gerry's face when he was his house. Every time someone looks at one of my "little houses" (my friend with the Westville coined that) the child inside them runs up into their eyes to look and all that wonder spills out onto their face; and children who are not yet trapped in grownup bodies love to ask me all sorts of technical "how'd you make that" questions. All in all, I can't think of anything more joyful than to make dollhouses & miniatures for others to enjoy.

Oh Mark, I'm so excited for you both! How wonderful that Gerry really really liked the house and that you're now able to work together on it! ;) What a lovely note he wrote . . . you must be very proud!! :D Can't wait to see your pictures (of course, of course)!!!!

Tracy, that is a really lovely Beacon Hill. I love the color combinations! Gorgeous!! :D

So Gerry is already coming up with ideas for his house. He even asked me if we could change the wallpaper in the foyer - agggh! I told him we couldn't and that he'll have to live with it. :D

One thing I'd like to do is to use an oval door for the front, as I've seen some people do - can anyone tell me where to find one that will fit? Will this one work?

http://www.bellaminiatures.com/product_p/cla70137.htm

I've also seen nice stained glass windows - where can I find those?

Thanks again,

Mark

Mark, check your doorway measurements against the dimensions given for the door you like, you can cut the opening a bit larger & use plywood scraps to pad out the thickness.

Find (art books, search engine) and print the stained glass pattern you like and use a paint-type program to scale it to size, lay a piece of acetate over the pattern and trace it (Koh-i-noor makes a special ink to draw on acetate with a Rapidograph pen, just make sure to flush out the pen's inkwell & tip really well with solvent to prevent a permanent clog, & you DON'T want to hear how I ruined my good ol' Rapidograph to learne that...). There's an acrylic paint thinner you can add to paint from the tube to make the colors transparent for colored stained glass. Anyway, use the old acetate window inserts to cut the new ones & use them.

• 4 weeks later...

i'm a newbie here and all i can say is "wow!" all of you need to get together and write a book! i was going to print all this wonderful info out...but i think my printer would blow up! lol!

thanks to everyone for all the great info on building this house! oh and marknyc, i'm really glad your house came out so good, and i hope to see a photo when you finish all the decorating!

Hi Mark, I've just read this post and I'm so glad to hear that Gerry loved the house. We all know how much time and effort you put into building it, what a great friend you are!! But then I'm sure he knows that!!!

Shaci, Welcome to the forum.

Wendy

I've been sick with a bad chest cold and unable to work on Gerry's house, but last night I got a great surprise - a friend of mine has a dremel tool, and he is letting me borrow it for as long as I need! He has a ton of attachments for it.

This is such a relief - I was really dreading the sanding of all the tiny detail pieces, but I'm sure this will make it much easier. Anything I should know before I start using it? Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Will try to get some more pics soon!

Thanks,

Mark

Sorry to hear you've been sick Mark! Hope you're on your way to feeling better!! :angry:

Yippee for you Mark! You're gonna love working with the Dremel. The only thing I would suggest is be sure to watch your speed depending on what you're doing it may need to be higher or (as I found out the hard way) lower, especially for those tiny little pieces.

Have fun!! I can't wait to see more pictures!!

• 1 month later...

Gerryand I have been busy adding the trim. He's been dremeling it all, and I've been painting and applying it.

I just added new photos in my Gallery - let me know what you think! We aren't quite sure if we should leave the trim two-tone, or paint it all white - any opinions?

Siding and shingling is all done. All I have left is to finish the windows and doors and the outside is done!

Now Gerry has to make all those tough interior decorating decisions...

Mark

Thanks for the kind words - it looks better than I hoped!

One thing: Gerry is having a hard time finding wallpaper he likes. Most of it is far too Victorian for his taste (like the stuff at miniatures.com).

Does anyone know any more sources for wallpaper? That's the first interior decision he has to make and so far, he's stumped.

Thanks,

Mark