8 hours... countdown

sleuth14

Well, last night I FINALLY found time to open the box for my daughter's Christmas present, RGT's Victoria's Farmhouse. I verified that all the pieces were there and laid them out, ready to start building the foundation.

I figure I have about 8 hours left over the next 2 days to get a basic shell up so that it's semi-presentable for Christmas as a "Santa" gift. My idea is to include a note from Santa, and address the house to both my daughter and me, from Santa, saying something like "I thought this would be a good project for you and your dad, so I had the elves get you started, and the rest I left out in the garage for you and your dad to do together".

Corny? Yeah I know.

Why only 8 hours in 2 days? That's how much time I have over the next two evenings before we head out of town until Christmas eve.

Maybe I should make this her birthday present instead... :-(

Quick question... I've got an MDF kit. Do the edges really require much sanding? They seem very smooth to me already.

Craig I am rooting for you! Woohoo!

If you can get the shell together and maybe place some furniture in the house to show what it is going to look like I think that would be great for her.

How old is your daughter?

Craig I am rooting for you! Woohoo!

If you can get the shell together and maybe place some furniture in the house to show what it is going to look like I think that would be great for her.

How old is your daughter?

She's 6.

My wife bought her an asian doll family (our daughter is half-filipino) as stocking stuffers.

what a great idea! i dont think its corny at all. maybe you can just dry fit it all, that way you guys can take it apart and wallpaper it and stuff later?

I thought you were supposed to wallpaper and paint after it's constructed?

This is my first doll house.

I agree.....dry fit the walls but glue the base together at least. that way you can take the walls back off and put in paper and paint it easier.... you won't regret it!!!

I bet she will be SO happy to see even just the shell!! I was 5 when I got my first house and I was dancing in the kitching waiting for the glue to dry (my mom put it together) I didn't even let her put the windows or trim or anything on before I drove her crazy. I played with it for a few days like that, then mom was finally able to rip it away from me to finish putting together lol.

I have a MDF house, still in the box but, if the edges are smooth, then I wouldn't bother sanding. I figure if it is smooth enough that little hands wont get hurt then call it good and move on lol

Good luck with it! It is a pretty house that I hope to build someday!! :lol:

She's 6.

My wife bought her an asian doll family (our daughter is half-filipino) as stocking stuffers.

I thought you were supposed to wallpaper and paint after it's constructed?

This is my first doll house.

you can, but its alot easier somtimes to wallpaper ahead of time. that way you dont have to reach inside and line up the paper. everyone has their own tips and tricks. i have just found that papering is much easier to do before hand :lol:

Based on reading the instructions and seeing the rather... unintuitive sequence of construction steps for this house, I think I will wallpaper after the fact.

It seems kind of strange that I actually have to raise 2 sides on the first floor, then go to the second floor and then come back to the first floor. Seems that if I want it to hold together throughout construction, that I should probably go ahead and permanently glue these things together, with nails too.

If you don't think it needs sanded then don't to save time, but if the edges are rough I'd sand so she doesn't get splinters. Wallpapering is really up to the person and the house. If there are rooms that you are going to have a hard time reaching those should be wallpapered before building, but if you can reach all the rooms then you could wallpaper after it's built.

It's not corny at all, I think it's a great idea. I'm sure she'll love it Craig. Good Luck, I know you can do it. :lol:

I should probably go ahead and permanently glue these things together, with nails too.
As it's MDF I think the nails are a good idea. Go ahead and make patterns for the wallpaper for your rooms before you get it all permanently assembled, in case there are areas that cannot be reached comfortably.

if the edges are rough I'd sand so she doesn't get splinters.

The MDF kit I worked with splinters weren't the issue, if I found gaps I'd be likelier to hit the spackle tub than the sandpaper.

It sounds like you will have an exciting Christmas morning - I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled that Santa brought something for the two of you to work on. It's not corny - it's magical. The doll family in the stocking is a great idea. Looks like Santa thought of everything! :lol:

Craig, I think it is a great idea for Santa to leave a note. I just did something similar for my GD, I sent her an email from Santa explaining how she was going to receive one present early. (She got a new bed and since Christmas is being spent at our house and it didn't need to be brought here and taken back took some explaining.)

If you plan on electrifying you need to put it together first definitely. Lay some of the wallpaper out with it and explain that Santa felt that he wanted her to have a choice.

My dollhouse directions made me scratch my head and wonder, but it all made sense eventually. There is definitely an "order" to things and it works best to go exactly in order of the directions.

I'm making my first house, too, and I have assembled without painting (except for one room where I was warned to paint beforehand because of a stubborn staircase).

As far as the note is concerned, I would have been overjoyed if Santa had left me a note like that. It would have made me feel like Santa really valued my relationship with my daddy and wanted us to have something special together. Awww...now you're making me miss my dad. Perhaps I will call him... :lol:

Anyway, good luck!

When my two children were younger, Santa used to send them notes, and special messages on their presents. My son got into an argument with a disbeliever at school and said he knew for a fact that Santa was real, because he could even recognise his handwriting! (I went to great lengths to add fancy little curls and knobby bits to each alphabet letter that "Santa" wrote.)

By the way, to all children who may come across "conversations" like this one, I must confess that a lot of adults like to pretend that we're Santa. The real Santa doesn't mind one little bit! Can you imagine being able to make people all over the world happy? Who wouldn't want to be Santa!

Who wouldn't want to be Santa!

Wouldn't it just be a great job to have? But since Santa can't be everywhere, we have Daddies. :lol: Craig, it sounds like you're an exceptional Daddy. Please keep us posted on progress and on your daughter's reaction on Christmas morning.

Deb

Who wouldn't want to be Santa!
DH & I have been official "Santa's helpers" ever since we adopted our first son and once they were grown we began buying up toys every year beginning the week after Christmas and hauling them to the local Toys for Tots collection center. It's as much the search for wonderful toys with the maximum imaginative play value for affordable prices (we put a cap of US$10 on any toy) and every year we pack out my PT Cruiser.

dollhouse directions made me scratch my head and wonder, but it all made sense eventually. There is definitely an "order" to things and it works best to go exactly in order of the directions.

Very true for that first couple of houses; after that you can sort of figure out the directions from several readings to "see" how the kit goes together before you begin the build, and then as you & the house discuss the finer details you're more comfortable changing that order if it seems necessary.

Please keep us posted on progress and on your daughter's reaction on Christmas morning.

Pictures would be OK, too, Craig (HINT!!!)

Yes sometimes the directions make you go Huh?

If I get too messed up on them, I walk away and ignore it for a lil while. Then come back with a fresh perspective. That way no major mistakes can be made. And mistakes are made but they are easily fixed and if they cant be fixed they are easily hidden.

What a cute idea to leave a note!!! Great plan!!!!!

For MDF, i've only sanded if the edges are fuzzy, it really cleans it up.

Nails will be kind of hard with this house as the MDF is so dense. Not a bad idea if you can do it...maybe predrill holes.

I usually wallpaper after i complete my shell, my decorating usually comes after all construction is complete. I paint any exposed edges first, I also texture my ceilings first off, then paint, then wallpaper, then flooring, then interior trimwork.

I'm following a different method with my beacon hill. i've actually wallpapered before construction is complete. Part of it was necessary, the rest i just did cuz i wanted it done. :D

I look forward to your progress on this house, i'll start building mine in a few months. :D

Hope it's going well for you and you can get the shell completed!

Well, when I got home from work last night, all set to spend 3-4 hours working on this project, I discovered that I had forgotten I had to take the daughter to ballet.

So now... I'm down to about 2 hours after we get back.

I got the foundation done, with the base floor attached.

I'm taking pictures as I go, but I probably won't get anything posted until after Christmas. Things are just crazy insane right now.

I did have a problem with my foundation boards wanting to split. First I tried using 1.5" finishing nails, and one split bad. Then I tried using the 3/4" brad nails that came with the kit, but they weren't really long enough to do anything for the foundation. So finally I found some 1" finishing nails I had stashed away and the result varied. A couple more splits but most did not.

I wrapped masking tape around the ends of my split boards that are under the base floor. Hopefully that will help keep the split from running, and I'm going to leave them on permanently.

So how are you enjoying that parents/daughters/santa stress club we talked about in your very first post lol

Once Christmas monring is done and you can take time with the rest of the decorating it will make up for any rushed times now.

If it makes you feel better I am still working on my house too...will have to try and get it done today. I also had a piece break....my house has screws and little plastic receivers and one of those broke so my top floor is not tight altho it is secure for now. Have to try to get a replacement.

Keep burning the midnight oil..an't wait to see photos!!

JAck'sgurl

This is reminding me of that ole movie "Yours Mine and Ours". Remember when Henry Fonda was in the closet on christmas morning still working on the last bike. Then the kid goes to take a ride and the handlebars fall off?

She will love it no matter what stage you are in on Monday. This is something she will always remember. Dad made my first dollhouse.

There are alot of people on here with the same memories. You are a good dad!

ditto to what heidi said. just think some day she could be on this forum and under the "first house" section she could write about her amazing dad and how he built her first dollhouse :D