Cutting Wallpaper

Karen99

Hi Friends,

Can anyone give me tips about wallpapering my Harrison dollhouse? I will paint the windows and ceiling first. I will paint the "window seats" white, and the window molding brown.

Any tips on measuring and cutting the wallpaper are greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Karen

Karen, I've found the best way to hang wallpaper for a neat, clean result is to glue it to the wall BEFORE cutting out window and door openings. When it is completely dry, I use a sharp eXacto knife to remove the paper covering the holes. Then the window and door trim, baseboards, crown molding, etc., are applied on top of the paper.

I've never had a good outcome trying to make a template after the trim is installed.

• Like 3

Before you install your windows, doors, window seats, etc., IF the house is already assembled, it's probably going to be easiest to use scrap paper and lay it flat against each wall with one straight edge even with the floor, and gently and carefully work the scrap paper into the corners and crease it; then take it out and write which wall it is; this is your template for cutting the wallpaper.  I like to lay my sheets of wallpaper side by side and either fold or carefully cut the scrap paper templates and lay the back wall on the middle sheet and cut it 1/8" (or  so) wider on each end than the template and lay it against the back wall it's going to be pasted to, and repeat the pressing into the corners.  Then you can drop match any patterns of the side pieces into the corners and cut out your side paper using their templates.  I use pre-mixed RL wallpaper paste for wallpaper and paste the back wall on first, then the sides.  I have a wallpaper border brayer I use to work out any lumps or bubbles.  Once the paper is totally dry I cut out the door and window openings.

You will first want to prime your walls before papering them, to seal the wood underneath, and you can prime with gesso or give the wall a skim coat of spackle and sand it smooth when it's thoroughly dry, to prevent wood grain/ knots/ etc from showing through under the wallpaper.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

... this is your template for cutting the wallpaper. ...

8 hours ago, KathieB said:

I've never had a good outcome trying to make a template after the trim is installed.

Karen, there you have it -- two completely different approaches to wallpapering. What it should tell you is that there is no right way to do much of anything related to miniature building. If I were moved to needlepoint a couple of pillows with inspirational sayings, one would say "There is more than one way to do it" and the other would say "It is all smoke and mirrors." 😊

Kathie, you'll notice I gave my comments bout making templates before installing windows, doors, window seats, etc.; the "etc." would,IMO, include baseboards and anything else going onto the walls before the wallpaper.  Once all the other stuff is in, that's all she wrote for me.

13 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Kathie, you'll notice I gave my comments bout making templates before installing windows, doors, window seats, etc.; the "etc." would,IMO, include baseboards and anything else going onto the walls before the wallpaper.  Once all the other stuff is in, that's all she wrote for me.

I did notice, Holly. My point was the difference between templates and no templates. Sorry if I was unclear.

Thanks so much @KathieB  and @havanaholly! I hope I am replying the right way. I couldn't figure out how to reply to you individually.

Kathie I bought my house used. It was assembled and poorly painted on the outside, and not painted at all on the inside. All of the trim is already installed, so this is going to be a challenge.

I bought it to share with my granddaughter, then I fell in love of course.

I have a good hand so I will try Holly's template method, or maybe a combo approach... I am a bit of a perfectionist, but I am not taking the dollhouse apart.
I will post pix if my results are good.

Thank you both for your support and suggestions. I understand —there is no one definitive approach.
Karen

I'm with Kathie on not trying templates if all the trims, windows, etc are already installed.  If NOTHING has been done to the interior priming is going to be an interesting exercise.  The reason you will want to prime the wood is that all wood contains acidic chemicals which continually leach out over time and will discolor your wallpaper, turning it brownish and brittle.

• Like 1

Karen, since the trim is already installed, I would try this method of building a template from paper tiles:

Cut squares and rectangles out of paper in sizes to fit the various sections of the wall. Layer them in place and tape them together securely to cover the wall area to form a template, working around window and door trim. Cut notches if required for windowsills and any other irregularities. Use poster putter or similar to hold them against the wall as you work. When the entire wall is covered, remove it and write FRONT on the side that faces into the room. That's so you won't accidentally put it wrong side up on the piece of wallpaper. It happens! 😮 This is the best way I know to get an accurate template. Make one template for each wall. Then place them on the actual wallpaper so that the pattern matches, trace the template, and cut it out. Use a sharp Exacto knife to cut out window openings.

On the side walls, add a quarter inch that will wrap around the back wall. (Keep this extra bit in mind as you match the patterns.) Do not add any extra to the piece for the back wall and install it last. The idea is that the edges of the back wallpaper will butt against the side walls to form a smooth corner. 

If the wallpaper is on the thin side, it might tend to get soggy and tear as you work it into place. You might find it easier to put a thin coat of the wallpaper paste onto the wall and then smooth the dry wallpaper into place using a credit card or similar to smooth out any bubbles. 

Edited by KathieB
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Karen99 said:

I have to paint the windows trim, the stairs etc

Do all of this before you add wallpaper. But you figured that out, right? :) 

Don't forget to paint the ceilings. Turn the house upside down to do this.

• Like 2

I have never figured out why anyone would build a dollhouse totally unfinished inside; at least seal the windows, walls and any other surfaces you don't want to stian, and stain the floors, at least.  It would make life so much easier for whoever had to do the interior decorating.  So far the houses I've had to redo were built with hot glue, so I just take them apart, scrape off the glue, make new windows and doors, if necessary, and rebuild it  the way it tells me it wants.

• Like 2

If it were me, I would prime the walls first and go ahead and either paint or stain the window and window seat trim. Once that dried good I would lay the house on its side and do that sides walls leaving about a 1/4 inch overlay onto the the front wall. I would take the dry wallpaper lay it in and gently rub my fingernail across window edges to make an indentation as a guide. Take that piece out and cut out the window opening going about a 1/4 inch inside the indentation lines. I would put the wallpaper paste on the walls only and lay the paper in and begin smoothing it out. I would use a sharp razor blade to trim to the windows. Then flip the house to the other side and do the one then do the front walls

• Like 2

Thank you all for your contributions, @LPCullen, @havanaholly and @KathieB. I think with this combined advice I will be able to make a go of it.

It's a big dollhouse so I will need help turning it on its side or upside down.

@havanaholly I totally agree with you, I can't see why anyone would assemble the house and not paint or at least prime the interior. I am not the builder you are, so I won't take it apart. I may have to look past some imperfections as @LPCullen quotes. That is hard for me, but I want to enjoy it and not get too lost in the weeds.

It will be slow going but I will definitely post pictures. As my daughter said, "This is a forever project." In the meantime, my granddaughter and I are enjoying it in its unfinished state.

What a wonderful community! Thank you all!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KathieB said:

Turn the house upside down to do this.

Music to my ears! I usually wallpaper with the house upside down for difficult gables etc-just seems to work better for me. Maybe because I’m a leftie…

• Like 2

On 10/12/2023 at 11:35 PM, KathieB said:

If the wallpaper is on the thin side, it might tend to get soggy and tear as you work it into place. You might find it easier to put a thin coat of the wallpaper paste onto the wall and then smooth the dry wallpaper into place using a credit card or similar to smooth out any bubbles. 

I use a clean dry washcloth to smooth down wallpaper-especially the thin stuff-because I’ve ripped it too many times. With the thin stuff (this is usually non-pre pasted wallpaper) it works better for me if I just smooth it down and let it be. It tends to crinkle on me if I smooth it too much.

I am not a fan of templates simply because I’m too impatient. I use razor blades instead of exacto knives.

@Karen99 hopefully we haven’t confused you too much. There’s many ways to do almost everything and you eventually find the way that works best for you.

• Like 1

My go-to is the Stanley utility knife because I can retract the blade when I' not using it to cut, and with my arthritis that big chunky handle is most comfortable; also being able to store new, sharp blades in it is convenient.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2023 at 10:43 AM, LPCullen said:

Music to my ears! I usually wallpaper with the house upside down for difficult gables etc-just seems to work better for me. Maybe because I’m a leftie…

I'm a leftie too and do the same thing! 

On 10/14/2023 at 2:10 PM, havanaholly said:

big chunky handle is most comfortable

Holly is correct about handles! I have an old kitchen knife with a thick silver metal handle that is grip friendly and puts the cleanest edge on a piece of paper. Good luck finding what works best for you! 

• Like 3

Thanks for all @havanaholly, @FurMama, @LPCullen @KathieB @fov! I will definitely prime the walls. I am pretty good with an exacto knife... It will take a while. This is a big house and I think I will need help turning it sideways...
My granddaughter and I had fun with it today, and I ordered a science lab for the secret room in the attic (test tubes and all) because my husband is a scientist.

I built a spray box and have been spray painting some kitchen cabinets.

It is slow going here... but I will get there, and I will post—it is my forever project lol. Thank you all!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2023 at 5:14 PM, KathieB said:

Karen, I've found the best way to hang wallpaper for a neat, clean result is to glue it to the wall BEFORE cutting out window and door openings. When it is completely dry, I use a sharp eXacto knife to remove the paper covering the holes. Then the window and door trim, baseboards, crown molding, etc., are applied on top of the paper.

As for the wallpaper itself, I would choose peel and stick kitchen wallpaper from FancyWalls, since they are made from the best materials and have the widest possible range for every taste and color.

Thanks for the advice! It makes sense. I'll definitely try wallpapering the wall before cutting out the window and door openings. I'm sure this will give me a much neater and more professional result.

I really appreciate your help!