Mini Education

Medieval

I am very excited to share my school added a new course that i will be teaching. It's called Advanced Family and Consumer Science The World of Minis. I've already gotten permission from some mini YouTubers to use their videos in class, and I will be reaching out to more. I'd also like to include bloggers if I can find a way to share without hitting my school's firewall. I am so excited! The school is even buying supplies And we have a Cricut machine already! I sweet talked them into by saying, "The World of Minis is a course for 8th grade students that would challenge students to replicate life as they know it on a much smaller scale. The course is heavily interne dependent for research and instructional support. It requires students to implement mathematical concepts such as scale, ratios, and measuring as well as social studies concepts involving knowledge of time periods, cultures,  and eras to design environments from the past."

rsz_220230301_192010.jpg

• Like 4

This is great! Kids need to create something - it will build confidence and pique their curiosity. I teach at a middle school and, sadly, we no longer offer consumer science. I have thought about offering an enrichment course for miniatures, but did not want to add pressure to my hobby/ stress outlet - but maybe when I'm retired, it would be something different to do. Please keep us posted on this!🏚️ 📏🔨

• Like 1

6 hours ago, amyole said:

This is great! Kids need to create something - it will build confidence and pique their curiosity. I teach at a middle school and, sadly, we no longer offer consumer science. I have thought about offering an enrichment course for miniatures, but did not want to add pressure to my hobby/ stress outlet - but maybe when I'm retired, it would be something different to do. Please keep us posted on this!🏚️ 📏🔨

Thanks so much for encouraging words. Post?! Lol. I'll be begging for ideas. One student already suggested we do a book nook. So they have prior mini knowledge. If any of you have a YouTube channel or blog and would grant me permission to use.it.in class, please pme and I will give you my work email. I need the permission in writing. I would like to use the building blogs here down the road at the end of the school year when we make room boxes to assemble into a house and this forum has.great rss. Who do I approach for permission to use the forum? I can create a topic to post some of my kids progress for you all to "judge" as expert miniaturist.

7 hours ago, chapchap73 said:

Be sure to include a discussion of Francis Glessner Lee, the mother of forensic science.

I will be looking into this. I need to assemble a scope and sequence that layers repetition and building of skills and introducing new skills logically. I thought I would start with a simple kit. For example I can create a kit with basic supplies to assemble a chair or lamp and encourage them to make theirs unique. I'd like to do a found item challenge around a theme like a.fireplace. So much running through my head right now. Just have to organize and streamline. I am open to suggestions.

1 hour ago, Medieval said:

...Who do I approach for permission to use the forum? I can create a topic to post some of my kids progress for you all to "judge" as expert miniaturist.

Dean, I would imagine.

• 1 month later...

Bentley Miniatures (Ara) graciously granted me permission to do a school workshop on making a mini chair from her pattern and video for an event called A Special Knight Out for kids and parents. I made a model. My first attempt is a little sloppy. I'm going to try to do another one for the workshop. But first I have to cut out pieces so we do not spend most of the evening cutting.  I'm going to make 20 kits. Thank God the school gave me a Cricut machine!

rsz_20230423_214336.jpg

rsz_20230423_214336.jpg

• Like 1

What are you using for the chair legs?  Do take a picture/s of the finished chairs and post them, and let the kids (and parents) know where.  Who knows, we might get some new members!

• Like 1

This is just an idle thought, show your students your first and second efforts with your chair.  They need to see that some projects don't always turn out 100% the first time.  It's okay to make mistakes and there is always room for improvement.  Hopefully, they won't get discouraged with their project.

• Like 3

Good one, Gayle!  Aslso, will you include a pattern for the cloth upholstery with the kit? Or encourage your kids to make one before they start gluing.  That way, if they do mess up the first one they can take it apart and discard the old upholstery for new.

• Like 1

All good ideas!

1. Yes, I was going to show both first and second attempts. I realized my first attempt was off because I cut foam board by hand and it was 25% smaller than what I cut by the cricut, which was a true 1/12 scale. My goof.

2. I used the pointy ends of wooden skewers. But for the project I will offer that or big long wooden beads.

3. I have precut everything. I took Ara's template and loaded it into the Cricut Design Space. From making my first model I took measurements and added shapes for batting and fabric. I'm precutting the fabric, but there are 20 kits to assemble, so there will be 2 kits for each type of fabric. 

4. I plan on showcasing the Bentley House video and having the pattern with her info on it, encouraging them to subscribe. I will also include our forum website info. Thanks for idea. I didn't think about that!

5. This workshop will be fore parents and kids. Hopefully it will inspire interest in taking my class and bring new hobbyists to our craft! In my class they will be expected to create their own items. But this is just a hour and a half workshop, that heavily uses hot glue. Lol

Thanks for comments and support! Your feedback pushes me to think in different ways.

26 minutes ago, Medieval said:

...Your feedback pushes me to think in different ways.

IMHO that's the best benefit of this group!

They don;t show that well, but I used wooden beads for the feet of the armcnairs I made for the farmhouse:

parlor 2.JPG

Edited by havanaholly
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

They don;t show that well, but I used wooden beads for the feet of the armcnairs I made for the farmhouse:

I tried some beads. I just didn't have the right kind in my stash. I can leave that as an option people can finish at home if they don't like the skewers. Personally I like the Victorian ruffle to hide the legs! But that is too much for this project.

• 3 weeks later...

On 3/1/2023 at 4:46 PM, fov said:

Wow, that's really cool! I would have loved to take that class.

Me too! What an awesome

idea!!! ❤️❤️❤️ I make chairs and benches from foam board that are pretty easy. I could pull together a tutorial if you want :)

5 hours ago, J_Sea said:

Me too! What an awesome

idea!!! ❤️❤️❤️ I make chairs and benches from foam board that are pretty easy. I could pull together a tutorial if you want :)

Yes, please! I will give credit to you in class. Every little thing helps. We have quite a bit of foam board, especially because they are 12 years old, I'm leery of bringing my mini table saw for a lot of wood. Even leery of exacto knives. But we will start slow and when I know who to trust we will go down ghat road.

• Like 1