Doll house magazines

Mattie

I would like some dollhouse books that give variety of ideas/projects. The earlier books included this more I believe. I want mostly ideas and how to's from furniture, sewing, etc. For those that have back issues which do you recommend Nutshell news or Dollhouse miniatures magazines. Found some bundles on eBay fairly reasonable.

I have filled several 2" ring binders with how-to articles from the magazines, which I ended up clipping because all those magazines were bulky!  My best sources were Dolls' House & Miniature Scene, Dollhouse Miniatures (former Nutshell News) and the few issues of Dollshouse World that came my way.  I did NOT clip any of my American Miniaturist because they fit nicely into bookshelf-size boxes.  Crafts also carried dollhouse how-tos up into the 1980s.

Hi Mattie,

There is nice blog that a miniaturists has indexed many old and new mini-mags. You can search to find tutorials or topics that interest you. https://www.minimagindex.com/

I subscribe to American Miniaturist Magazine. You can buy a few copies at a time to see if you like the content enough to subscribe. There are also some free examples at their site. https://www.i-mag.co.uk/

I have bought quite a few Nutshell News' and they show up for free at many Miniature shows. If you find a good price on a lot for sale on eBay, it can become addicting.

My favorite current mini pub is American Miniaturist.....you can find much of AM's content in the other two mags that Ashdown publishes, and vice a versa.

Also, check Amazon for out of print books and magazines.

Nutshell News is my favorite. The small format ones from the 1980s and 1990s are great. They went to the larger format and then changed their name to Dollhouse Miniatures in the late 1990s, I think. They changed publishers a couple of times in the 2000s and the magazine is very different now. (Admittedly, I stopped subscribing around 2008, so I don't really know how it is these days.)

I'm probably biased since I started reading them in the 90s, but if those are what you're looking at on eBay, you can't go wrong with them.

The history of our hobby is documented in those old magazines, in the articles, advertisements and photos. They are a treasure trove of knowledge, talent and innovation. I have so many now it’s become kind of a problem...but I love them all, you really can’t go wrong. So many stores come and gone, so many artisans come and gone. I feel very sentimental about the way the magazines documented it all. Before the internet especially. 

From time to time each publication would change editors and some editors were better than others. So there may be a year here or there where the content wasn’t as good. 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I know this is an older post but I just wanted to add that if you don't mind needing to get translations (Google has a thing where you can translate text from images so it's pretty simple) Japanese dollhouse and miniature crafting books are great. Japan has so many amazing miniature artists who do hyper realistic pieces. I have a huge collection of these books and they're my absolute favorites. 

• Like 2