Removable/false wall question

creationodyssey

Sorry I searched and searched but all I could find is people talking about their removable walls in here and google was confused and gave me false doors…

Anyway I’m turning the upstairs of my aster cottage into a proper loft and want to put up a removable/false wall for the bathroom. How do you do that? Do I need mini wheels like they use in closets to slide it back and forth or do I just wedge it in and hope for the best? 

You could just wedge it in, but a little dot of museum wax, poster putty, or something similar will hold it until you want to remove it.

Edited by KathieB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, creationodyssey said:

Did you use the tiny mini hinges?

Never.  I cut strips of chamois 3/8" wide.  The chamois detailcloths you find at automotive supply stores like Pep Boys or NAPA are a nice thickness;twill tape also works, but is thicker & wider than I like.  Those itty brass hinges & I have a hate/ hate relationship.

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Those itty brass hinges & I have a hate/ hate relationship.

I remember opening a package of these hinges and thinking - "Wow! look at all the extra nails for these! That's crazy!" Until I needed EVERY SINGLE ONE to try to install the stupid hinges. They kept flying off the needle nose plyers I was using and they were too small to locate once gone. I said, "never again".

Those itty brads/ "nails" have slightly rounded heads so that IF you succeed in correctly aligning the leaves of the hinge to countersink them into the edge of the door and the door frame and IF you succeed in getting the nails hammered into the hinges as far as they will go without skewing the leaves of the hinge, those "nail" heads will NOT let the door close properly, which is why I started out sandwiching my chamois strips between the halves of the door and the wall and door frame.  I have since discovered pin-hinging, which is far more satisfactory to me, personally.