I Glue Like a Toddler

Blondie

Getting some of these wall pieces together is hard! Oof! I was getting all frustrated, but then I heard your voices (well, your words) in my head telling me to just have fun. I decided to not take myself so seriously and just try to jam them together (gently).

Then I started gluing. I don't have any toothpicks, but I did have a plastic fork. I put lots of glue on a paper plate and used the fork to shove the glue along the edges. Then I took a paper towel and wiped it up--which helped push the glue into the cracks. My wood is fairly warped on the big pieces, so I rigged up some books.

How long should I let the glue set before I start working again? The bottle says an hour--that good?

Yeah, I'm going to do the priming/painting on it once I have the basic tic-tac-toe thing put together. A lot of people have said that the area behind the staircase is impossible to paint once you have it all together, so I'm planning on doing all the interior walls before I get too much further. Thank you for the reminder!

Since the outside will have the siding, I don't need to prime that, right?

Man, I love you guys. Having people to ask questions of is such a lifesaver!!!! Or sanity-saver, I should say. :hide:

After i glue any seams I throw some masking tape on it to pull the seams tighter, it works well and helps pull the warping out a little as the wall gets straightened. The weights are a good idea as well! Good job!

After i glue any seams I throw some masking tape on it to pull the seams tighter, it works well and helps pull the warping out a little as the wall gets straightened.
When I glue the seams I reinforce them with heavy-duty staples.

The weights are a good idea as well!

I use my old nursing textbooks & reference books.

Since the outside will have the siding, I don't need to prime that, right?

Right. You might want to go ahead and measure & draw your horizontal lines for the siding on the exterior walls while they're all more or less flat on their sheets (just a suggestion).

You might want to go ahead and measure & draw your horizontal lines for the siding on the exterior walls while they're all more or less flat on their sheets (just a suggestion).

Very good idea--thanks!

I just went out to get some cat litter at Walgreens and saw a whole bin full of mini clamps, screwdrivers, exacto knives, etc. They were all 2 for $5. I got lots and lots of mini clamps (4 in each package). Wheeee! Walgreens all seem to be pretty much the same no matter where you are, so you might want to check it out if you need some or something. (Look at me, pretending I know something!) :hide:

The first thing DH told me when I began to build my first kit" You can't have too many clamps. Those are my very favorite kind!

How long should I let the glue set before I start working again?

I meant to address this in my previous post as "what to do whilst glue (or paint) dries". I actuallly have the threads on my bead curtain strings in the midst of being glued to their rod while reading the forum. You can dry-fit or glue other assemblies, scribe floorboards, stain or paint trim, make furniture/ accessories/ fixtures; the only limit to things you can do while waiting for glue or paint to dry is your imagination. I usually let my glue set up for over an hour, closer to two or three, before getting back to that part.

If you dont have toothpicks you can use un-cooked spagehtti!

When I read the topic title I thought you were going to post you use the method I use when I can't fi a toothpick; my finger!!! if all else fails. Plus when the glue dries you have the fun of peeling it off to look at your fingerprint casting! (I'm easily entertained)

Plus when the glue dries you have the fun of peeling it off to look at your fingerprint casting! (I'm easily entertained)

When I was in about 2nd grade, I used to scare my younger brother doing that (peeling the glue off).

When I read the topic title I thought you were going to post you use the method I use when I can't fi a toothpick; my finger!!! i

a tooth pick? spagetti? hmmmm what a novel concept...it would keep the fingers less messy

use less wipees to clean up. hmmm

what else will I learn to day?

nutti :thumb:

I found when I tried using spaghetti as a toothpick, it would break on me everytime. But I do have a bag of uncooked spaghetti that I lay my painted wood parts out on. After the pieces have dried, I put the spaghetti back in the bag for the next time.

I found when I tried using spaghetti as a toothpick, it would break on me everytime. But I do have a bag of uncooked spaghetti that I lay my painted wood parts out on. After the pieces have dried, I put the spaghetti back in the bag for the next time.

Oh, what a great idea!! I likes it, yes I do!!! I'll have to haul down a bag of spaghetti to the studio now. It's amazing how many things from the kitchen make their way into our work spaces. I've already got a couple of slotted spoons, a pair of tongs, a can of coffee and dozens of glad bowls down there. It's beginning to make Bruce suspicious about what I'm serving him for dinner. :thumb:

Deb

a baggie,wax paper or foil you have to look in my work area for those!

I just buy double so I don't have to run upstairs to my workroom for foil or wxed paper. I recycle the containers food comes in for all sorts of things. At one pooint our pharmacy was using plastic bottles without raised printing or "flash" (seam) on the bottoms, they were perfect for making glue glass plates.