Which is better?

Gayle

Okay all you seasoned builders, which is better..... construct the shell then decorate or decorating before glue? I've seen examples of both and was wondering what was the best to do. I'm sure each have their pros and cons but I would like your opinion. :)

Thanks

Gayle

It just depends on the house and what size it is. My Willow, I put the shell up minus the roof then added my flooring and wall paper and such....then was on to the windows....better to decorate your trim and such before gluing unless you are the best painter in the universe lol.

It's best to just use your own judgement, but I kinda do it as I go...seems to make things easier....

Well I would say it depends on the layout of the house. Since some rooms contain for instance staircases, it's always easier to paper/paint that room during construction. In 1:24 it's always advisable to decorate as you build (getting my little hands in there would be challenging otherwise). In 1:12 I generally decorate after building, but that's my preference and I really don't mind standing the house on it's roof. If you're papering & it's your first time, papering the walls first would be easier. Lots of builders do decorate as they build so either way is acceptable. :)

I always paint the outside and all the window trim. I also install the windows. It works out best for me because it is easer to cut around the windows and such. I know some people add wallpaper first but since I put in light tape I do not. I think it is a matter of personal taste and which works out better for you. Good luck to you which ever you decide to do. :)

I'm getting ready to start the Buttercup and can't decide which way to go. Both seem logical but about the time I reach for the paint brush, I feel as if I should be reaching for the glue instead. Decisions, decisions. :)

In my opinion, if you want to put the flat electrical tape in your dollhouse, it's best to make templates of all the floors and walls as you build it. Then put the tape directly onto the walls and then decorate the template...wallpaper, flooring, etc. Attach the template to the walls with double-stick tape. That way, if something goes wrong with the electrical system, you just pull the template off the wall or floor to get at the tape.

Now I always electrify my dollhouses so I don't have any experience with wallpapering as you go. Back when I didn't electrify, I wallpapered after assembling the house but I was never very good at it!

Gayle -- Didn't realize you were doing a Buttercup -- wonderful little house. There are a couple of things inherent in that kit that might mean you'd want to decorate the downstairs before gluing. I'd definitely decorate the window seat bump out area before I glued otherwise it'll be a bit tricky to work with and the same with the doorway alcove. I did mine after building, but it wasn't easy and when I do one again, I'll definitely decorate those areas first. They're just a tad awkward to get to.

And give us pics when you're done -- we all love Buttercups :wub:

I am workig on the Garfiled and have done most all of the interior painting and wallapering first. I am sure glad that I did. When we glued up a few walls the other day we realized that I had forgotten to paint a section and it was extremely hard to get into that crevice to paint it after it was glued down.

Another bit of advice was that our friends on here told me to glue the windows in later. I am glad that I listend because I had to go through one of those windows to get to that spot to paint. LOL

PS. We are not putting electric in our house so that may make a difference if you are.

I am new to building and am working on my Orchid..I did all my wallpapering and painting before I glued it together..I do not think I would have done as good a job if I did it after!! After the inside was done I glued the house together and then did the stoned look on the outside..minus the roof of course..I am working on that now.

I've done it before, during & after, depending on the house, on the inside, especially with the Buttercup; I always wait to do the exterior until the interior decoration is done. I haven't electrified yet. I'm also not averse to standing the house on its roof to get into difficult spots. I also try out a technique on a scrap to see if I can do it or like it.

Thanks everyone. When I built the San Franciscan, the instructions stated that it would be best to decorate before assembly. Looking at it now, I did the right thing there. I'll try to include a picture of it for everyone. I'm not satisfied with the inside so there won't be pictures of that part. You should have seen me while I had it on it's roof. Made me wish I were an octopus. lol Not nearly enough hands.

I've looked at a lot of blogs here and am impressed with the workmanship on each one. I can only hope "Buttercup" cooperates with me.

Thanks again. :wub:

because of Duracrafts build methods of sliding the walls into the groved supports I find wallpapering first on that type of house works best for me.

during the dry fit you can usually tell where you shouldd pre decorate.

the buttercup shouldnt be to bad.but if I did another I might do the downstairs before putting in the 2nd floor.

and than decorate the 2nd floor before putting in the roof.

have fun and plz post photos when you can!

nutti :lol:

First I painted the windows and the outside of my Orchid. After it I assembled the whole kit except porch, roof and partitions. I also glued the finished windows in place.Then I installed the tape wire, added the wallpaper and flooring. After it I installed the partitions, added the partially painted woodwork and stairs. Then I added the front door and finally the roof and porch. I think I will make the same on my next kit, this way worked out best for me.

That is why it is taking me so long to finish the Marquam Hill Mansion! It is Duracrafts fault! I can blame them!

I am having such a time with her. Because she was already put together I am having a beast of a time wallpapering behind the staircases. I am thinking I am going to just give up on those areas. I am not a mini contortionist!

I am a completely visual person. So in my instance, I assemble the shell, paint most of the exterior (excluding trim and delicate work) and THEN do the decorating inside (meaning flooring, wallpaper, ceiling, etc). Doing the shell and exterior painting first also helps me get a good 'feel' for what kind of mood I want the decorating inside to convey.

I usually stain the stairs (but put them aside for permanent installation after everythign is done), put in the flooring and then do the wall paper and finally the ceiling. This is just what works for me.

Of course, making this possible and not too challenging is the fact that most of the houses I work on are fairly large (right now the Real Good Toys Queen Anne) so the rooms are large enough to maneuver around in somewhat even though its assembled.

Whichever way you chose, good luck! :)