Miniature Landscaping, Flowers and Plants

kathi17

I was thinking about you when I decided to post it Michele. :-) But so many other people have commented on yours and Karin's flowers lately that I figured a lot of others would be interested as well. Those two boards have a ton of tutorials and ideas linked from them!

• Like 1

Making flowers and plants is so fun. I think out of all of the little side hobbies that branch off from the main hobby of dollhouse building, flowers are my favorite. Not that it's easy, but it sure is interesting and rewarding. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Making flowers and plants is so fun. I think out of all of the little side hobbies that branch off from the main hobby of dollhouse building, flowers are my favorite. Not that it's easy, but it sure is interesting and rewarding. 

That's the other half of bringing all one's 1:1 hobbies and scaling them down for dollhouses.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

You and Michele are making me want to start landscaping before my house is even finished! Since my Japanese Inn is front opening, I'm going to have to mount it on a little hill so I can open the front without it bumping into anything.

It's on a 2' x 4' sheet of plywood now, but I thought I would buy a sheet of 1" styrofoam insulation. Then I could make a hill from two or three layers for the house to sit on, with stairs going up to it from the main landscaped part. The styrofoam should be easy to carve into a nice little hill, and I will probably be able to carve a hot spring pool into it as well. I love those hot spring ryokans in the pictures of Japan, and that's what I want for mine!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Kathi, you are having more fun with your Japanese Inn than ought to be allowed by law. :) 

Yeah, I really am! This is much more fun than any of my other houses, even though some of the building is either really confusing, or really repetitive!

14 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Kathi, you are having more fun with your Japanese Inn than ought to be allowed by law. :) 

7 minutes ago, kathi17 said:

Yeah, I really am! This is much more fun than any of my other houses, even though some of the building is either really confusing, or really repetitive!

It's so incredibly elegant!  I want to shrink myself & DH down when it's done and come live there! (and soak in that hot spring pool!)

• Like 2

Just now, havanaholly said:

It's so incredibly elegant!  I want to shrink myself & DH down when it's done and come live there! (and soak in that hot spring pool!)

I would love to go to a real one, but this one would be even better, because at the real ones, you have to be naked in public!!! At my age, I'd scare everyone away if I got naked!!! :-D

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kathi17 said:

I would love to go to a real one, but this one would be even better, because at the real ones, you have to be naked in public!!! At my age, I'd scare everyone away if I got naked!!! :-D

That's another reason! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

I agree. I find it very soothing and meditative. :) 

Love the ideas for the hill and hot springs! 

I don't have the same luck with 1:1 gardening that I do with 1:12, unfortunately :) 

It's nice not to have to worry about direction of sun..shade...water source...local climate...late freezes, etc Haha

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

Love the ideas for the hill and hot springs! 

I don't have the same luck with 1:1 gardening that I do with 1:12, unfortunately :) 

It's nice not to have to worry about direction of sun..shade...water source...local climate...late freezes, etc Haha

The worst part about real life gardening for me is the weeds. I like perennials, but the weeds always got ahead of me!

At least with mini gardens, all you have to do is dust!

• Like 1

On 4/8/2016, 10:39:45, kathi17 said:

The worst part about real life gardening for me is the weeds. I like perennials, but the weeds always got ahead of me!

At least with mini gardens, all you have to do is dust!

I'm right there with you, Kathi!

• Like 2

How about the back ache that goes with real gardening?! After a weekend of spring cleaning the rl yard I can't even sit in the chair long enough to do my mini gardening ugh. 

• Like 1

I had forgotten about the back ache! Actually, I always thought of that as a good back ache though, because the winters are so long up here, and I was so glad to finally be out in the yard, that I didn't mind it!

On April 12, 2016 at 9:14:30 AM, WyckedWood said:

How about the back ache that goes with real gardening?! After a weekend of spring cleaning the rl yard I can't even sit in the chair long enough to do my mini gardening ugh. 

That was me a few days ago! After I sat on our path one day cleaning out the weeds and the next day planting perennials, I had to take my arthritis meds for a few days and I'm in my 30s! I don't have arthritis but had some sort of a back problem for 2 years and finally my dr. let me try an arthritis med and it got rid of my problem. Now I only take it when I've done something strenuous on my back. 

Just bought my first plant kits here at the Chicago show and I can't wait to try them!

• Like 1

I made these parrot tulips last night and today from the kits I bought at Chicago. Kits are from Paula Gilhooney. Paula had the red painted on the white laser cuts but I went back with a white pen and made very fine veining in the tulips. Did the same with the pink with markers and then pink watercolors. I did the red ones first and then felt like I got better with my stylus work on the pink ones. No leaves because I don;t know if I'm going to go with a garden scene or try a flower arrangement. All I know is that I am hooked on these flower kits. Paula's parrot tulips are laser cut on some kind of Japanese crepe/art paper. Love the texture.

IMG_0018.JPG

• Like 1

On April 15, 2016 at 10:05:06 PM, WyckedWood said:

Have fun with your kits! My arthritis started in my 30s, I remember thinking I was way too young for arthritis :) 

I thought it was arthritis and when the did x-ray and MRI, they said there wasn't any.  Did not have elevated inflammation in blood work either, but you know what, I still don't really believe them - or else why did that arthritis med fix me? Aleve didn't fix it long term, but the arthritis med did. In my heart, I feel it's the beginning of arthritis even though dr. said not.

• Like 1