Questions...

Betty

From reading this forum I realize I've made some mistakes and although the house looks OK and has held up over the years I thought I'd ask a few questions for the next time.

I never primed the walls before wallpapering. I wallpapered the outside walls before the house was put together. That was probably 15 years ago and they look OK...no discoloration or peeling. Hopefully, they'll hold up OK. Unfortunately, I've got to hope I have enough wallpaper left to finish the rest of the walls because I don't think I'd be able to find this paper any more. I did paint the remaining walls that need to be papered. My question...I thought I read somewhere NOT to paste over the copper electrical tape and I'm wondering what to do?

I think someone said something about using Modge Podge with the wallpaper. (I can't find some of the posts I've read in the past...now I'm printing out some of the tips as I read.) Is Modge Podge used just like regular paste? The paper won't crinkle?

I like the way some people have used landscaping around their houses. Do you just use a piece of plywood and cover it with that grass they sell for Christmas villages and train layouts? I was thinking that's where I could find bushes and trees. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also saw where someone said using a glue gun wasn't good. I put together the whole house with a glue gun. ): At first I didn't even know what you meant about dry fitting, but I've been looking at a lot of pictures. What kind of glue do you use?

Thanks for your help...

Hi Betty:

If your house is holding together, then it doesn't really matter what you used to put it together. For future houses, or if your current house does start to come apart, it might be better to use good old woodworker's yellow glue to put the house together. Some people use the hot glue for shingles but I use the yellow glue for everything. Hot glue is good for an instant stick.

As far as wallpapering right over the electrical tape, that's fine but don't turn on the electrical until the walpaper is dry! A danger to wallpapering right over the tape is if there is a problem with the electrical system, you may end up tearing off the paper to get at the tape. So, some people, myself included, make a paper template of the walls, transfer that template to tag board (a think board like mat board used in mounting pictures), cut out the wall shape and then wallpaper that board and attach it to the wall with double stick tape. That way, if something goes wrong with the electrical system, you can just pull off the board and have easy access to the tape without ruining your wallpapering job.

There are lots of landscaping ideas and yours sounds fine for a beginning. If you get into miniatures more, or if you want a more realistic look than what you've mentioned, you can graduate to more elaborate landscaping ideas...railroad supply stores and hobby stores usually have landscaping supplies. Micro Mark is one place; Hobby Builder Supplies is a good one.

Good luck and have fun!!! :D

Here is the link to view my blog on how to Landscape. In this tutorial, I show a small border. To do a whole house you would follow the same principals but do it on a bigger scale :)

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...p;blogid=2&

Scroll down to see it :D

As regards to hot glue, I have 3 houses that I have givin away 10 years ago when I first started making dollhouse and they are still holding up. My Mom's had been storing hers in a crawl space and recen;ty took it out and it looks the same way it did when I gave it to her. you should not worry about it unless you start to have a problem :)

I have used that lanscaping grass from miniatures.com and love it. It really goes a long way because I only put grass around the house not under it. Reindeer moss make great bushes and it is available at craft stores for a couple of dollars. I just used left over pieces of board for the base. You could even use cardboard for the smaller houses.

I used Hot glue to do my glencroft and it is fine so far. It has been about 5 years I think. It is better to use wood glue but yours should be fine.

Mod podge is great for scrapbook paper. You can use it to seal the paper before putting it in and after to glue it to the wall.

The only problem with hot glue is that it can soften when exposed to heat. It's fairly easy to remedy, if you notice a problem you can remove excess with a hairdryer and simply reglue with aforementioned carpenter's wood glue.

I think someone said something about using Modge Podge with the wallpaper. (I can't find some of the posts I've read in the past...now I'm printing out some of the tips as I read.) Is Modge Podge used just like regular paste? The paper won't crinkle?
Mod Podge is all I use now for wallpaper. I usually spread some on the paper and then some on the wall . . . that way when I put the paper up it has some give to move it into position. I don't get any wrinkles or bubbles using the Mod Podge either . . . which is a good thing! :tongue4: I wallpaper over the tape wire as long as the plastic covering isn't damaged exposing the copper wires. If it is, then I use electrical tape to cover over the wires and proceed with the wallpapering.

I like the way some people have used landscaping around their houses. Do you just use a piece of plywood and cover it with that grass they sell for Christmas villages and train layouts? I was thinking that's where I could find bushes and trees. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've used plywood and builder's insulation. It's really your choice. Just keep in mind the weight of the house and how much landscaping you're going to do. I'm planning an elaborate landscape for the Beacon Hill, so I used plywood and covered it with the grass from the hobby store. I'm going to add bushes, trees, flowers, et cetera as I can afford them. On my Mother Goose's Cottage I used the builder's insulation . . . that way I was able to dig out for the pond.

What kind of glue do you use?

I use Elmer's Probond Interior/Exterior Wood Glue . . . love the stuff. I've used (or rather hubby's used) a dab of hot glue only on very thin shingles because the glue tends to warp them.

Good luck with your projects!!

I use a mix of ELMERS and water to paste my wallpaper,usually the bubbles will disappear as it dries. I tell the buyers of my wallpaper packets the same. It's a LOT cheaper than BUYING dollhouse paste. I sell wallpaper assortments on EBAY as --- dogmom15. WOOD GLUE is best for my house assembly! Sometimes I will hot glue things to let them dry and peel it off once the wood glue is dry.

Donna

I use Yellow bond glue, LOctite for me, for the most part. For the foundation I wanted extra strength, so I glued it up with yellow glue, then when dry I reinforced the whole thing with polyurethane glue. I just dampened the inside seams and ran a bead of the poly, overnight and it was solid as a rock.

I think woodglue is the best for houses but I tend to use what I've got on hand and sometimes that turns out to be just Tacky glue which seems to do a pretty good job also. I don't use hot glue unless It's in a place that has to have a quick grab and tack and won't show. For wallpaper I like YES glue - it's artists archival quality glue that is a thick paste. But it makes putting wallpaper up a pleasure.

-David

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies.

With that hot glue I'll be sure and keep this dollhouse indoors and never in the garage or attic. I took down a Halloween wreath that I had on the backdoor a few days ago because the hot glue softened and the decorations were coming off in the heat. (I finally got to turn off the A/C for the first time in months today.)

I'm going to think about the wallpaper. I'm temped to wallpaper right over the electrical, but with my luck there would be a problem! It just sounds like a lot more work the other way.

I'm copying and pasting your tips into Word and printing it all out. I wanted to save Tracy's tutorial. Wow, good for me. :tongue4: I figured out how to do it. This forum has some really good features.

Thanks again...

For landscaping, I've always used a plywood base. My Beacon Hill is mounted on a plywood base. I then did some additional landscaping for the front yard on another sheet of plywood and have abutted it to the original base. I wanted it in two pieces because I have the BH on my dining room table, and like to lift it off (actually Ray lifts it on and off) to clean.

Right now I'm just finishing up a new front yard for the BH. This time, I made the front walkway as a flap so it will fit more tightly and cohesively into the original landscape base.

This time I screwed the fence posts right into the base for stability. I'm just waiting for some shrubs that I've ordered and I'll be finished.

You'll love landscaping. I love doing the dollhouse gardens almost as much as I enjoy wallpapering, painting and choosing furniture and drapes.

Oh, and for wallpapering, I've always used wallpaper glue.

-Susanne

Personally don't think there is anything that is 'absolute' about building a dollhouse...all sorts of products give excellent results.

Modge Podge was originally and still is used in decoupage (it's a glue & sealant in one), so it's terrific for any papering and ooodles of other coatings in miniature.

My glue gun skills are poor so I've always used carpenters glue for building and tacky glue for roofing and thus never have glue gun regret, however, if the house is OK, then you don't have a problem.

You can paste over tapewire -- I generally cover the wire with tape just to be safe (you can use masking tape or electrical tape). I also coat the joints, brads, grommets and wired-in fixture connections with clear nail polish to keep them from moving.

For landscaping bases, plywood is terrific, but depending on the size of the house, I've used foamcore and builder's foam, too.

You'll love landscaping. I love doing the dollhouse gardens almost as much as I enjoy wallpapering, painting and choosing furniture and drapes.

Thanks. Your landscaping (and house) are great! Where did you get the fence?

Personally don't think there is anything that is 'absolute' about building a dollhouse...all sorts of products give excellent results.

That's good to hear. I get too concerned with what's right and what's wrong...instead I just need to go for it and get things done! Thanks,