Received my Harrison Kit

John Z

I moved it for you John Z!

Don't be nervous about the Harrison! I'll be OK, and we'll help you with it. Yes, do read the instructions again, and even pull out each and every board and look at them and become familiar with them. I found that worked on getting over being overwhelmed best of all, familiarizing myself with the boards...

:D Oh, John, how exciting for you! I really, really want to build a Harrison one day (I want to build ALL the Greenleaf kits!, but after the Glencroft I'm a sucker for Tudor!). The first kit I ever opened I did the same thing, it scared me to death!

Now when I get ready to build a new kit, I take out the paperwork that comes with it and put the acetate window inserts between sheets of paper up on a shelf where they won't get scratched. Next I read over the instruction sheet. Then I take the schematic sheet and put all the plywood sheets into numerical order and mark each piece with a bit of masking tape with the part name written on it. Then I read over the instructions again, trying to locate the sheets & pieces for each step. Then I put it all away except for the instruction sheet and I listen to the house tell me what it wants to be & how it wants to look (my Glencroft wanted to be a pub, my Orchid I'm blogging on wants to be a country store).

Holding a piece of sandpaper in my hand I pet the wood and sniff it, oops, you don't need to know that...

Take your time, have fun, if it makes more sense to do something different from the instructions, try it. If you think of a new technique, experiment on a test model. The instructions aren't gospel, lightning will not strike you if you use sanding sealer instead of shellac, and we are still waiting for Dean to change the part about using a hot glue gun to assemble!

Did I mention to have fun? and welcome!

Don't be intimidated. Reading the instructions a few times can be very reasuring. And don't worry about mistakes. There are very few mistakes that can't be easily fixed. Just get to know what piece is what, and everything will start to make sense. You'll do great! :tongue4:

Holding a piece of sandpaper in my hand I pet the wood and sniff it, oops, you don't need to know that...

Too funny, Holly!! ROTFLMHO!!!

Don't worry, John, it's just a bunch of wood, it won't bite . . . well, okay, it might splinter, but it won't bite!! :tongue4: Just take one step at a time and before you know it you'll have a wonderful new house to play with . . . THEN it's time to worry, what color paint, what wallpaper to use, what furniture, et cetera, et cetera! :tongue4:

it's just a bunch of wood, it won't bite

Well, you'll need tweezers for min work as well as splinter removal and alcohol for diluting India ink as well as disinfecting the wound, and a couple of rolls of masking tape for holding pieces together for dry-fitting, so you should already be prepared for emergencies. I've been bitten by the tools more than the wood, BTW.

I love you, too, Teresa!

The last couple of kits I started I took all the wood outside and used the big hand held sander on it before I punched it out (to help cut down on all the sanding time) then I sealed all the wood with a sanding sealer (idea from Holly) except what I knew I was going to stain. Then I punched out and separated the pieces in the order they would be used and place in bags. That way for each step I was on, I just had to grab the bag listed for that step. Helped me alot in staying organized and also in being familiar with what the parts looked like. Oh I also wrote on a piece of masking tape the sheet no and part and taped it to the wood as I punched it. That way if a piece gets left out or you have to leave it for a while you know what piece it is.

It also helped not being so overwhelmed when you know working with one bag instead of all those sheets for each step. You will want to wait until the last possible moment to put the window sheets in to save from scratching, bluring them.

Well, that's more than I'm sure you wanted to know.

Thanks for all the great advice - I'm not very experienced with building dollhouses, so I'm soaking in your wisdom. :wave: (I'll be starting on the Haunted House that I won - it's very friendly; the Sugarplum is playing hard to get - possibly because I left her in her box too long!) :wave:

John read the warm up sheet the first part tells you DO NOT PANIC :wave: it says that for a reason. Too many times I find people who have had a dollhouse kit stored away and it's because they only opened the box and looked at all of the parts and got frightened away. If you follow the instructions, step by step you will have a wonderful house that looks just the way it does on the box.

We are also here to help you if you need it. There are several membes who have built this house recently so they can help you too. Read the instructions, open the box and smell the wood (I am like Holly there I LOVE the smell of a new kit newly opened). Then sit down and check and be sure you have all of the tools you need that is listed on the warm up sheet (Some of the newer instructions has the warmup on the instruction sheet).

Really don't panic. Have fun. You have time to have it finished before a December holiday present if you start now :wave:

John just read and re-read the instructions, the harrison is truly easy to build no matter what it looks like in the box :wave: . Just get familiar with the pieces take your time and have fun. If you get stuck on something just ask, we'll help you figure it out. :wave:

I suppose if I screw it up it can become the Haunted Inn.

now thats the spirit(hahahahaha)

in the dollhouse building world you will find out that it is NOT rocket science and most booboos can be covered with spackle,paint,wallpaper,trim or furniture or shelves.

if you take it one step at a time you will find it done and be ready for a 2nd project before you know it! :D :thumb: nutti :whistle: