Advice on room layout

Phillip

Two photos of windows ready to be installed. After all windows are in, I'll paint the shell gray to look like mortar and then apply bromley brick paste with a stencil. I would appreciate any advice on how to best work with a brick stencil 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh boy, advice on brick stencil. 

Firstly, it will take a very long time to do it on a house that large. I hope you have more than one stencil.  

When i applied it on the Betsy Ross House it was done with multiple layers:

-paint for the mortar

-the clay paste over the stencil

-the paste didn't give it enough texture and depth so I then spray painted it with a textured paint, reusing the stencil of course

-the textured paint wasn't the right color so I hand painted each brick with a brick red paint. Alternating bricks were done over with a black sharpie, due to the design.

Then I had to scrape the mortar areas to cleanup any messes.

It took long time and I was only covering a 12x24 flat board.  Good luck.

I'm trying to attach pics but not having much luck. Tomorrow.

You can carefully lay the stencil to match up a finished area if you let it dry first.  I got to help Peggi brick a little of her Van Buren with the Bromley stencil.  he used a spray adhesive on the back of the stencil, rinsing off the brick mix mess before it hardened on the stencil.  Its not something you want to rush through, but the end results make it well worth while and the plastic Bromley stencils are far nicer to work with than the Majic Systems' paper stencils.

You also may want to go ahead now and paint the roof the color of the shingles you will be using. This is done so specks of bare wood don't peak through your final roof treatment. By doing this now you avoid the slight chance of getting paint on your brick.

I'm planning to cover the windows in masking tape. because they have no outter trim, I thought it would be good to brick with them installed to help to cover any gaps between the window casings and the shell. For the roof, I plan to use sandpaper to recreate tarpaper shingles 

Dry fit your windows and trace around them and then mask off those areas.  Remove the masking tape when you have applied your brick compound and you will have a nice, smooth place on which to install your windows.  Are you going to put quoins on the house's corners?

Have you thought about mixing a tiny bit of the red chalk with the Bromley powder until you get the color you want?  If it were I, I would paint a test piece of scrapwood grout color and start with the straight powder and apply a little bit and let it dry and look at it.  I once got to help Peggi, one of our forum members, use the Bromley brick stencil and powder on her Van Buren, and it was very red just as it was, which is why I suggest doing a bit of a test piece first/

That house is absolutely beautiful! (Both yours and the original). Sorry I can't help with the brick color, the only brick I have ever used is for the foundations on my San Fransiscans, and that brick came with the houses.

Your carpentry work is outstanding. Very, very nice job on the windows and doors. The real house is also quite nice, so I appreciate your dedication to the details of copying it.

I've never used your brick product, but agree that doing a small test patch on scrap wood is a good idea. That's a huge surface area to make a mistake on, or have to redo it if you're not happy with it. I suppose you could always dry brush more red onto it, but it seems it would be far faster and easier to get the color right on the first shot.  

1 hour ago, stickyfingers said:

Your carpentry work is outstanding. Very, very nice job on the windows and doors. The real house is also quite nice, so I appreciate your dedication to the details of copying it.

I've never used your brick product, but agree that doing a small test patch on scrap wood is a good idea. That's a huge surface area to make a mistake on, or have to redo it if you're not happy with it. I suppose you could always dry brush more red onto it, but it seems it would be far faster and easier to get the color right on the first shot.  

With the variants in real brick color, I'm sure Phillip will go back and drybrush variations on the bricks after they're on & dry, but getting the basic color "right" IMO does involve some fiddling around first.

so this doesn't photograph as well as I might have hoped but so far going ok. I decided to mix acrylic red ochre paint with dap spackle. Reasonably functional but I really regret buying a small stencil. It was more or less shredded after doing the front and now I need to replace 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

This does look great, Philip. I've been contemplating a stone or brick exterior but so far, I've steered clear of that because I wasn't sure whether or not I'd like it. I got the stencils as well, guess I'l have to try it out now.......

• 2 weeks later...