Advice on room layout

Phillip

1 hour ago, Phillip said:

Oh - mostly because the bricks are fragile and prone to crumbling over time I think 

If mostly an effort to seal the bricks, then I think a matte finish would come closer to mimicking the surface of real bricks than the satin finish. You might want to make a test piece and compare the two finishes before doing the entire house.

Ultimately I used spackle and acrylic paint, which was what I used for the lintels as well. I'll test of course. I hope satin isn't too shiny. I have a can of modge podge matte also but I'm wary of the mess of a spray on solution 

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Real brick isn't shiny, nor is it satin.  I use spackle for stonework and stucco exterior treatments and I do not sal it nd I do not have rumbling unless I take a screwdriver or other edged tool to it.

Holly, did somebody spill molasses on your keyboard? <big grin>

8 hours ago, KathieB said:

Holly, did somebody spill molasses on your keyboard? <big grin>

No I'm a touch typist and this new computer doesn't like it.  If I go very  s l o w  sometimes it will cooperate.

I don't SEAL my spackling compound AND It hasn't CRUMBLED (and the so-and-so dumbputer still doesn't like the letter "A"!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

No I'm a touch typist and this new computer doesn't like it.  If I go very  s l o w  sometimes it will cooperate.

I don't SEAL my spackling compound AND It hasn't CRUMBLED (and the so-and-so dumbputer still doesn't like the letter "A"!)

My keyboard doesn't like it if I type too fast either. I'm always missing letters in my words and have to go back and fill them in after I finish. "A" is one of the letters my keyboard has problems with too.

Have either of you ladies tried cleaning your keyboard with a blast of canned air sold for that purpose? Even a tiny bit of dust or a crumb under a key can cause it to become lazy.

7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

This keyboard has been this way since the day we brought it home from the computer store.

Could have been dusty when you bought it. Have you thought about exchanging it for one that does what it's supposed to do? 

We had it in for maintenance & cleaning a couple of months ago.  I have noticed that when I slow down and pay attention to how I strike each key more of the letters make it the first time.  DH, a two-finger typist, doesn't have the problem.  I usually go back before I hit "submit", but obviously missed on that entry!

So, Phillip, what did you decide about the varnish?

• 2 weeks later...