Baba Yaga and Vasilisa the Beautiful (or Brave)

Selkie

Wrinkled aluminum foil with a black-ish wash sort of pushed inside with a Q-tip? Slight reflective quality may enhance the firelight? -- just thinking out loud.

• Like 1

Okay, I gave up and cut another one this afternoon.

This time I photographed it before assembling so you could get an idea of how I am building it.

Explanations are in the album.

Parts laying flat

Parts standing up

• Like 1

Thanks. It will eventually work.

Probably not too much mini work today.

Been up with the youngest with the tummy bug.

Still have a couple more loads of sheets and blankets to go. Ew-w-w-e-e-e !!

Fingers crossed it doesn't spread to everyone else.

Posted some new pictures in the album today.

Have a test on the brick backing. It's a bit hard to see with all the bright pink foam!!

Also, lowered and enlarged a window that was at the wrong height for 1:24 scale and creating a garden window out of it for growing herbs and flowers, especially since Baba Yaga needs ingredients for her medicines, poisons, and potions and so on.

Need an opinion on two pieces I have that seem off scale to me. They were both labeled 1:24 scale but don't match each other in proportion - to me anyway. The bench is really skinny and the rocking chair is really long from the front to the end of the rockers in the back. Of course, it was the rocking chair that I wanted the most!! Any thoughts?

Don't place them near one another. Toss an afghan on the rocker to disguise the depth? I have two chairs in Marie Laveau's house that are each slightly different in scale but in two separate rooms. It's not noticeable, especially since Marie is sitting in one of them.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm back to building a wee bit anyway. I got the main parts of the house and the primary structural components out and they are laid out on the work table. By tomorrow I should be cleared for working with sharp objects again so I'm getting ready.

I have an opinion question on the bay window for the tower (a Pringles can). I've loaded three pictures in the album of the bay window in question. I'm trying to decide if it really matters what position it is installed in. It matters to the logic of the use of the room but I don't want to create a serious faux pas and have someone think I'm just a big dummy and stupidly installed the window upside-down.

Since I'm using this on the rounded surface of the Pringles can, it's going to need several modifications anyway so it won't look exactly the way it would on a Victorian house on a flat surface when all is said and done.

So the decision that is the most challenging at this point is which side up to install the window. I have just barely enough space for the window to fit above the dungeon door and still be below the clear lighted top of the tower which mirrors the lighted skulls on the fence posts.  

It fits flatter and gives more room to view the interior if I use the smaller portion at the top and the long pointed area at the bottom. Position 2. However, I think it is designed to go the other way round to be "proper".  Viewing the room is a higher priority to me but not at the expense of looking like an idiot.

Since this is a fantasy build, do I need to worry about "proper"? Can I just go with what makes the most sense to the build? Is it heresy or creative license?

This is the position that is ideal for the room viewing.

I'm with Lene. I like the heavier bit on the bottom for balance. And Debra's idea of blunting it by cutting off a bit is also a good one. And I can't imagine anyone mistaking Izbushka for a Victorian edifice! :D

I also like it upside down.  I feel like how you finish it will help -- like maybe you could paint/finish the bottom pointy bit (can i call it the "beard?" i see a beard!) to match the siding of the tower, and then shingle (or otherwise finish) the roof to match your other roofs.

Ah-h the roof - yes, it is going to be a feathered roof on the main house. I have collected gorgeous feathers to create "shingles" with since this is a chicken leg house after all. Only seemed logical to a Baba Yaga wanna-be like me.

I should mention that this is a 1/24 scale build and is a tad on the tiny side of that, so small things make a much bigger difference due to how small it is overall.

The base of the tower is stone with a heavy timbered door. The upper part of the tower is timbers with a combo of broken down stucco/stone/brick-ish mess. The messy falling apart look will evolve as I mess around with it. (pun intended)

The important part for the tower, at this point, is the cutting of the holes and installing the floor supports inside. The dungeon door is cut already. Where it dormers into the main roof needs cutting and then the bay window opening. Hence my questions.

Thanks for the encouragement. It helps a lot.

Well, I'm back to building a wee bit anyway. I got the main parts of the house and the primary structural components out and they are laid out on the work table. By tomorrow I should be cleared for working with sharp objects again so I'm getting ready.

I have an opinion question on the bay window for the tower (a Pringles can). I've loaded three pictures in the album of the bay window in question. I'm trying to decide if it really matters what position it is installed in. It matters to the logic of the use of the room but I don't want to create a serious faux pas and have someone think I'm just a big dummy and stupidly installed the window upside-down.

Since I'm using this on the rounded surface of the Pringles can, it's going to need several modifications anyway so it won't look exactly the way it would on a Victorian house on a flat surface when all is said and done.

So the decision that is the most challenging at this point is which side up to install the window. I have just barely enough space for the window to fit above the dungeon door and still be below the clear lighted top of the tower which mirrors the lighted skulls on the fence posts.  

It fits flatter and gives more room to view the interior if I use the smaller portion at the top and the long pointed area at the bottom. Position 2. However, I think it is designed to go the other way round to be "proper".  Viewing the room is a higher priority to me but not at the expense of looking like an idiot.

Since this is a fantasy build, do I need to worry about "proper"? Can I just go with what makes the most sense to the build? Is it heresy or creative license?

This is the position that is ideal for the room viewing.

If you had asked simply which way up then my choice would have been for the longer cone below.............just looks right to my eyes and given that it also allows a better view into the room.............well!

If you had asked simply which way up then my choice would have been for the longer cone below.............just looks right to my eyes and given that it also allows a better view into the room.............well!

Do you remember the old advertisement for Life cereal with the three little boys? The two bigger boys make the little boy - Mikey - try it before they will touch it. In the end everyone is jumping for joy because "Mikey likes it!!" That's how I feel right now.

• Like 1

I was also going to opt for long side down, but I'd leave the point, if you have room, and look for some long pointy filigree something or other to glue there to "fancy" it up, or maybe a stylized gargoyle amongst the falling brick & stone.

Spent some fiddling time with the tower today. Feeling like the Pringle can is just not the perfect size for this tower. I cut all the door and window openings and now it simply looks wrong. It's height is great but the diameter is just too tight. For the dungeon in the bottom part, it would be okay to squish the prisoner but for Baba Yaga to mix her potions and store her supplies and swish around her pestle and fuss with her skirts, it's just not working. sigh ...

So, I tried an 18 oz oat can. Diameter seems quite nice but it's too short. I could take a second one and attach on the top. Probably the simplest solution for the actual tower needs but I will still need extra materials of some sort to attach it to the building which the next experiment provides.

Tried a 42 oz oat can and it's the same height as the Pringle can so that's great - no adding on top -  but the diameter feels way too big for a tower on a 1:24 scale build. Thought about slitting it and tightening it up to the narrower diameter but it will be a bear to control while doing that and then the windows and doors are going to be trickier so I'm not landing on the seam. It also has to attach to the angled wall and a shedd dormer on the weird little roof so some of the extra cardboard could be cut to bend over and help reach across the slanted areas.

Of course I'm clear as mud here because I'm not posting a picture of exactly what I mean.

This one shows where the tower will be. I want it seamlessly attached to the house so I need to fill in the open triangular areas between the tower and the exterior wall.

Where you see a stick near the little face on the Pringle can is where the door is for BY to enter the tower potion room. (not cut out in this picture)

This is the dungeon door previously cut. The bay window would be above the door but off center to the left of the door.

This is just a shot of the roof angles and the wall angles so you can see the confusion of angles to deal with and still work with my crazy mish-mash of ideas.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. I'm terrible at them.

I'll try to get some shots of the two other cans and the cut up Pringle one to better explain what I mean. Off to try that while you all think.

• Like 1

Here are the new pictures that help describe the ideas of changing sizes.
If you click on them it will give you the description I put on them in the gallery.
Unfortunately  - grrrrrr - I cannot seem to get them right side up. They were right side too when I started and now they are all sideways. Hate technology when I can't make it work right. I'll still keep trying.

And you are creating this for.............fun? :crazyeyes: It's mind blowing, but I can't quit studying it.

Good question .... why? I always seem to manage to make any project I get involved in at least 10 times harder than it needed to be. Just a gift I have.

• Like 5