Mistakes mistakes and more mistakes

Anya

David, you have a Skilcraft Colonial? Do you have pictures? My HUD house is a Skilcraft colonial. Woohoo.

I have a couple of pics - it still has no roof but I did get the shutters in to replace the original ones and I'm still working (slowly) one building windows for it

post-86-1160970849_thumb.jpg post-86-1160970901_thumb.jpg

This is my son's house - he's turning it into a Mickey Mouse house complete with figures from Halmarks ornaments :blush:

Nail polish remover also works on the plastic windows
Thanks Rowan I haven't tried the gasoline yet so maybe I'll try this first - got to go to the store tomorrow so I'll pick some up.

WD 40 a dollhouse builders best friend. Gets glue off of everything without damaging

Another great tip - I think I may pick up some of that too! :D

-David

Oh, listing mistakes...where do I start? It hasn't been too bad, considering it is my first house. The major mistake was glueing the window trim on upside down. I didn't notice it until I tried to put the floor on and the slots didn't line up. I sat down at my desk and stared at it, with tears in my eyes. Hubby asked what was wrong and I said, Nothing, I am throwing this mess away and starting over. I didn't touch the house for days...just kept staring at it. Finally one night, I grabbed my x-acto knife and started in. I fixed the problem and now I am almost finished with the house. I am so glad I didn't throw it out when I discovered my mistake.

Yup, that is my HUD house. She is lonely. She is upstairs in my bedroom just waiting to be brought back down and finished. She is mad cause she got bumped off by Queen Marquam!

Oh it is so good to know that I am not the only one making mistakes round here.

Talk about wallpaper. I cut out all mine for the BH back - to - front So I made a right hash of that one. :giggle:

I had to start all over again and since I was designing my own wallpaper it took about a week to do all the rooms, maybe more :hug: but I wasn't laughing then, I'll say.

My BH extension is slighty wonky haha but I like to think it adds to the character of the house..... well it's better than saying that it looks like I've done a shoddy job haha. :lol:

I think I will start a new album on all the mistakes I've made. I have learnt alot on here already.

Keep the replies rolling in! :yikes:

Instructions? Instructions?? Who needs stinking instructions....well, apparently I DO since NOT following them has caused me a more than little grief...I have learned my lesson though and I WILL FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS FROM NOW ON!!!

Instructions? Instructions?? Who needs stinking instructions....well, apparently I DO since NOT following them has caused me a more than little grief...I have learned my lesson though and I WILL FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS FROM NOW ON!!!

Must be the name...Irene...I hardly ever follow instructions either until I find that I totally mess up. They I'm like "where are those :censored: #&^*%:censored: intructions!!!!

This is a great topic - nothing like finding out that you're not the only klutz/moron in the group! :yikes: I've made so many mistakes, I've lost track of them. Upside down wallpaper - done that in mini and "real" life. I like to think that a mistake is an opportunity to make something ordinary into something unique and special. It seems to me that the "cover-ups" we come up with are more like finishing touches that lift the everyday into the sublime! (or something like that.) Necessity is the Mother of Invention, indeed.

One of the mistakes I made was on a dresser I was making and cut all the drawers too small, but the funniest part is when cut all new drawer pieces these I also cut too small. That was a bad night in my shop.

Ooo, Patrick, my first kitchen table with "working" drawer went like that, once I turned four legs alike (did I mention calipers are a VERY useful tool if you're making mini furniture?) AND the same length, all at the same time...

Oh nooo these mistakes are too bad haha.

I just made one with my mini chair. Ipainted it a terrible shade of purple and now the darn colour shows through anything I paint on top :thumb: haha.

Oh nooo these mistakes are too bad haha.

I just made one with my mini chair. Ipainted it a terrible shade of purple and now the darn colour shows through anything I paint on top :) haha.

I recall that my father used a silver (oil base) paint over dark colors that bled through topcoats. I think it was the kind of paint used to paint metal pipes. It did the job!

Do you think it would help if you seal it with a coat of polyurethane or Modge Podge and then paint over it?

My biggest nemesis is wood trims. I just can't seem to get the angles right so that they fit into the corner properly. I always end up with a wonky gap that I have to fill in with wood putty. Hardly shows though---just don't look too closely.

Sandra

Another one that I just thought of was wood primer. I painted they before assembly, thinking Ha this will be easier than painting afterwards. NOT! Some of the panels were warped and I had to wet them down and lay glass on them to flatten them out. Not a pretty sight. My husband just laughed and asked "Bad day?"

Sandra