Shiny Sealant Breakers or Primers / Rehabbing

Blondie

My Maison McColl house has salmon, pink, and purple paint on it that has been sealed with something that makes it very shiny. I'm rehabbing this house, so I'll be painting over the original paint.

Sanding won't work because it barely touches the shiny seal. My father told me about "seal breakers," but they scare me a bit with all of those chemicals. I'm also worried about hurting my fragile-ish wood.

I may have to call someone who refinishes real life furniture to get some ideas. I used Kilz Primer in white. I put it on the frame kind of thick and then let it dry. I can scratch the primer off with my thumbnail and see the salmon still there with no scratches. Primer fail!! If I leave it and paint over it, it could all come chipping off in a few weeks and that would be NO GOOD.

Any suggestions?

I was just in Lowes the other day and saw something in the turpentine section. But darn if I can't remember what it was! But it was supposed to degloss so you could apply another coat of finish without hurting the stain underneath when you're refinishing furniture. If I'm out that way today, I will take another look and write it down....

I think Debra is on the right track. There are several products for use when you are redoing countertops that de-gloss laminate so the new paint will adhere and that has to stand up to lots of use so "sticking" is super important. My DIL has done a countertop that way and it came out very nice and hasn't chipped. Because you have paint underneath whatever the shiny stuff is, I don't think you will damage the wood. The paint should be enough of a barrier. It's not like you will be soaking it in it. Probably it's a "wear your gloves" kind of thing but I do that with lots of things. Another thought is to take one of your sections right into the paint store with you and have them take a look at it and see what they think it might be and what would be best to use.

Good luck - can't wait to see how it comes out.

A gel stripper to roughen the surfaces? I know there are some not so heavy duty ones (as in: not dangerous to health) - they don't work great but should do the job of stripping at least one layer.

A cheap and non-toxic thought is to try using matte Mod Podge as a sealant. It has enough of a tooth that I've used it as a primer before putting wallpaper on a slick surface so it might be worth a try. Depending on what they used to make the "shiny" parts shiny, the Mod Podge might peel off too but it's worth a try, especially if you have a jar on hand already.

Deb

• Like 2

All of these are very good suggestions. The trim is especially shiny, so maybe I'll take a piece of that with me and go stalk a paint guy at a store.

One problem I might encounter is that I read about a few of these strippers, and you're supposed to repaint within an hour. I have a rather elaborate paint scheme worked out with a bunch of different colors, so maybe I'll just have to paint all of it white real quick and then do the real paint job later.

There are a LOT of pieces to strip here. I CAN DO IT! Boing boing! (Convinces self!)

post-1461-0-61304200-1393963209_thumb.jp

There is a shellack based primer out there - Zinsser or BIN - not sure, but they stick on everything. I used it on vinyl high-gloss cabinets and it still sticks after 6 years, so that should work no matter what. It's expensive but definitely my go-to solution for crappy surfaces.

If you use the shellac based one, remember it's not water cleanup. There are several varieties out there and it's easy to mix up the water based ones with the shellac based one.

I just read all of your suggestions to my father, and he said we can find some of these items and give them a whirl in spring. He has a big Morton building (farm equipment building) that we can work in to have plenty of ventilation. I'm really grateful for all of your suggestions and help!! Thank you SO much! :) :) I'll be sure to take pix and document the whole experience for you.

If you're working in warmer weather with open ventilation you can buy a box of disposable rubber gloves and use a chemical stripper you don't have to immediately repaint after the old surface gunk comes off, especially if your dad is helping you.