Have you ever taken a class

jennybee

I hope this is the correct place to ask but have you all taken mini classes? Where I live they are having a miniature show and are offering classes the friday before. Since I have never been to a show or a class I was wondering if the prices I am seeing are the average cost. I imagine so since you get the supplies and its an all day class from 8:30am - 4:30pm.

For example last year the classes they offered was this:

post-837-1159903184_thumb.jpg

Here is the class description:

Students will learn how to decorate a green and oak hutch cabinet with food. You will be making a stuffed turkey, pumpkin soup, cranberries, mashed potatoes and gravy, pumpkin pie and a bowl of apples. The hutch and all accessories pictured will be included in the class fee. Supplies needed are an x-acto knife, tweezers, pointed medium paintbrush, scissors, tacky glue, a 6” ruler (preferably by Midwest Product with holes in the ruler to measure clay)

Am I allowed to list the cost of the class since it was already offered and in the past?

My main reason for wanting to take a class was to learn more, but to also meet some local people who are into miniatures too. :holloween:

I enjoy taking mini classes and do so whenever I can find the time and money. They are great confidence builders, because at the end of the day you walk out of there with something beautiful that you made and that you can be proud of. You meet other miniaturists and have fun visiting with them as you learn. You learn techniques that you can use in future projects. you learn to use the tools that have been sitting around that you bought because you knew it was used to make minis, but then once you got it home you realized you had no clue what you should do with it! Or you learn of other tools or supplies that will be helpful in your mini making.

As long as you can afford it the class and can work it into your schedule I can't think of any reason not to take it--unless you already know everything and don't like hanging out with other miniaturists.

Jeri

Never been so fortunate as to be able to participate in a live class, I have been invlved in online classes and loved those so if I could particpate I would do so ina heartbeat :holloween:

Hugs

I like people :holloween::cucumber:

I'm just the kinda sorta geeky/shy type that ya know is all quiet till i get to know you then HELLO, I'll talk your head off!!

I don't know what classes they will offer in March 2007 but I already have the cost of the hutch class saved away incase they offer it or something else. There is just soo much to learn and i think a food or how to age items would be a good start in the classes dept.

:woot: I have taken a number of classes at several shows and on line. I have found them instructional and a great confidence builder. If you have the time and can afford it, I say go for it. :holloween:

I have taken some of the Rik Pierce classes and next year I am gonna take two classes at the Tom Bishop show and I also did an couple of online classes.

It's a fun place to meet people who like what you like and also a GREAT place to learn neat things for sure!

:holloween:

I've taken several classes -- if it's something you're interested in making and if you'll be learning a new skill, go for it. You'll enjoy yourself, meet new people and make something you'll be proud to show off in your dollhouse :holloween:

Oh I would love to attend a real mini class. I have only ever did online classes. I do think it was worth the money that I spent. I won't be able to go to Miniaturia in Philly this year as I will probably still be recuperating from surgery or if not, then recuperating from the financial aspect of being out of work, however I am going to try to go next year and take at least one class.

~Bobbi

I took 4 workshops at the NAME house party in KC this past weekend and am glad of it for several different reasons. I now feel confident to strike out on my own with wicker/baskets and polyclay food and look forward to using what I learned. And after one class I'm also quite sure that I'm never, ever, going to get into quarter scale! In the fourth class, about 80 of us put together kits to make pet shop vignettes. While I'm glad to have the item and was pleased with the quality of the kit, I don't think I'd ever do that again. So, you learn on all kinds of levels! :holloween:

The cost of course varied with the workshop, but in every case I felt I got my money's worth in materials and the instructor's time and expertise. The latter being the most valuable!

I've taken a couple of online classes here on the Greenleaf Forum with Tracy and am going to take a couple of classes at the Tom Bishop show next March . . . which I'm really looking forward to.

I say if you can invest the time and money . . . go for it! :holloween:

I've taken a couple of online tutorials here on Greenleaf and really enjoyed them both.

Last month I joined our local miniature club and signed up for a workshop. It was my first time, and I got a lot out of attending. Most of my skills have been learned from reading magazines and chatting with people (mostly here at Greenleaf). But the experience of actually sitting in a class with a well-known artisan was a huge learning curve for me. She not only demonstrated how to build the project we'd signed on for, but demonstrated techniques, recommended tools and products, and shared some real fun stories. I also really enjoyed sitting and working with other people who were as interested in miniatures as I am.

I'd do it again. :wave:

-Susanne

if the class is something you want to learn and you have the time and the money to do it...than go for it.

a class experience is good for a person especially those of us who dont have a club to join or dollhouse shops to play in. spending time with like minded people and learning new skills is always a good idea!

and when you are done...even if you never do anything you learned again you have something wonderful to show to friends and family. and to gift to the dollhouse.

I say go for it!

nutti :wave:

Thanks everyone! The only show down here where i live is in March and its too early yet for them to show their class offerings. But I'm hoping to get into at least one, and because my b-day is the same day as the show I have been hinting to my husband that a class would be a great gift. Oh and another dollhouse kit. So who knows I may end up with both or at least some cool goodies from the show.