Real photo Backdrops behind the windows

WyckedWood

Id like to try doing some photos where there appears to be a real life scene out the window ,trees, flowers ,etc.. but I have no idea how this is done....is it a purchased backdrop (I see those on etsy) or is it done with computer software? Thanks for any insight.

I'm not sure if you mean scenes permanently attached to the windows or just what you can see through the windows, but I did a blog post on how I use non-permanent backdrops: http://www.otterine....nd-the-backdrop

I've seen people PhotoShop an environment around the whole house in pictures, too, but I've not attempted that myself.

Do you mean a backdrop for the whole project? or a scene that stays attached to a window?

For my wall-hanging house I put two scenes in the windows as a permanent fixture. I printed the picture I wanted from my computer, scaled to size, then used the bubble pack that came with the window to hold it in place. That gives it a little more depth. I also added a small light at the top, not visible from the inside of the house, to give the illusion of daylight.

post-4286-0-26211700-1354731828_thumb.jp

This is a second-story window so I'm showing the distant skyline (Seattle, of course :) )

post-4286-0-26537800-1354731832_thumb.jp

This is the first-floor window, so it is showing the trees and plants right outside. It also has a light at the top.

• Like 1

Non permanent and just what can be seen through the window, not surrounding the entire house. Thanks for the link Brae, I'll check out your blog post. CJ...those are cool, thanks for the pictures. I love the Seattle skyline, used to live on Whidbey Island.

• Like 1

I just looked at your blog post....I imagine you have to consider the scale of the picture youre putting on the foam core. By scale I mean, the size of the elements (trees,hills)in the photo. For a beginner trying this, do you suggest one scene over another as being the easiest to fool the eye...such as...a winter snowy scene as opposed to a garden scene? Yours all look so realistic. Do you have these printed at a store like Office Depot?

I usually just look for landscapes and print them on a regular printer on regular 11 x 17 paper. Computer desktop background images are a great source online. Gardens would be lovely, you'd just have try a few to see what works for you.

I googled garden landscape photo (in image search) and found this page of gardens. http://freshome.com/...eaceful-refuge/

I'd try ones that have a good flat perspective...like this one http://cdn.freshome....rden_design.jpg

and this one http://cdn.freshome....n_landscape.jpg

You might not be able to get a full print of these on 11 x 17 without cropping, but you are really only trying to fill a small window area. You'll find it's relatively straightforward...just move the background around until it looks good to you. :)

Also, as for scale, you'll find your eye will just naturally make sense of the distance. If you have a far off landscape, your background seems vast. If you have a garden, your background seems just out the back door.

Desktop wallpaper - that was the term I was drawing a blank on. If you do a google image search for garden landscape desktop wallpaper you'll find some nice large images for printing. :D You could even go total fantasy: http://www.wallpapercube.com/fantasy-landscape-wallpapers_w5512.html

I want to do something like this for the front hope king dollhouse I made to look like my own real home. I was thinking of taking a picture of the scene outside my real life window and printing a mini version to apply to the dollhouse. I just haven't gotten around to it yet but I can't wait to try it out. I need to make one sliding door and a window. Will probably do it after the holidays so the decorations aren't in the way of the photo. Good luck with your project!

Thank you so much Brae, I think this will b very interesting to try. I think my printer will only print to standard paper size. What printer do you have if you don't mind my asking, Im in the market for a new one anyway. Gina...that sounds like a really neat project, looking fw to seeing what you come up with. I live in Suburbia and theres nothing interesting outside my RL windows, just the side of the neighbors house 3 ft away lol.

You're very welcome! :D

As for printing, does your printer have a manual feed to print on legal size 8.5 x 14? The standard 8.5 x 11 might work, too depending on the photo and the size of your windows. I would imagine you could print them out at FedEx/Kinko's, etc., too.

I save interesting garden scenes from magazines like Veranda and Architectural Digest. A lot of them seem to be the right scale for behind mini windows. I usually mount them on illustration board and leave a one to two inch space for a few branches or bushes with landscaping materials. That gives the scene more depth.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input Casey...it occurred to me that I have a Monet art book thats very large, more like a tomb, might be neat to have one of his landscape paintings showing through the window.