Gather Ye Roses...

WyckedWood

This same flower that smiles to-day....To-morrow will be dying...this is a tutorial for a method of making old,shabby, faded looking roses using a coffee filter :-) In my recent gallery under The Sea Hag Beacon Hill are more photos of completed roses and a few small bouquets.

Im going to include pictures of each step...please ignore my beyond desperate need for a manicure...which would actually be wasted on me since my hands are always in some combination of glue/paint/clay.

Supply List:

*Coffee filters (mine are unbleached,but probably doesnt matter)

*Pastels in desired colors (I used a soft pink,wine,med.pink and green)

*Needle and thread (the stongest yet thinnest,sharpest needle you have)

*Cloth covered wire (I used some I had left over from a flower kit, but 32 gauge or similar is OK)

*Scissors

*Tweezers

*Aleene's Tacky Glue

*Floral foam (optional)

*Toothpick

*Wire cutters or old scissors

* Vase (optional)

*Assortment of prepunched leaves (these can also be made with coffee filters if necessary)(optional)

*foam pad and stylus for preparing prepunched leaves(optional)

* Visual aid (picture or actual rose to look at is nice but optional)

I'll be back after I throw something in the microwave for dinner....

post-185-0-00164200-1347066394_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

First step : Gather supplies

Step Two: Fold one coffee filter in half. Cut the filter in half along the fold.

Step Three: Cut along the long edge Apx. 3/8" from the edge. I dont measure this out, I just eye ball it. You want somewhere between 1/4" and 1/2". If you do measure it out and draw a line, be sure to cut on the line or your drawn line will show in the rose.

post-185-0-87260200-1347070070_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-47826200-1347070079_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Step Four: Color the strip with pastels. The right side of the strip is the center of the rose, the left is representative of the outer petals. Use one, two or three colors for graduated effect....of course if you truly want a dead or seriously faded rose, dont color it all....I didnt try that but I did sometimes just use a soft pink in the center and natural on the left side and I really liked that....but generally, darkest color on the right, to lightest color on the left. COLOR BOTH SIDES of strip.

post-185-0-51533200-1347070728_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Step 5: Now thread your needle, knot it and get it ready to go where you can reach out and grab it with one hand.

Step 6: Fold down the right corner of the strip, fold again to the left one turn

* note: in this picture sequence, reverse what you see...what should have been the second picture is showing up as the first

post-185-0-90698800-1347071556_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-74895700-1347071565_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

*If any of you are familiar with making real life ribbon roses you will recognize this as the "folded rose" technique.

Step 7: Begin rolling somewhat tightly down the strip. This will be the center of your rose so imagine that while youre rolling, make 5 or 6 rolls.

Step 8: Pick up your needle and thread and put a stitch in what you have already gathered, towards the bottom, but try to get all the gathers in the stitch.

post-185-0-97487900-1347072109_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-52270900-1347072121_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

At this point you can cut the thread or let it hang, because you will be tying another knot. I cut the thread because I dont like it hanging in my way. If you cut it, set the rose down and re knot your thread so its ready to go the next time you need to reach for it.

Step 9: Fold back the left side of the strip. This will leave a diaganol fold just to the left of your rolled center. Turn and sort of lift the rose down the diaganol line, when I say "lift" you want to create slight seperations in the layers, think of it as adding air pockets between layers. These diaganols will form points at their tops and will represent the petals, so try to make them somewhat distinctive, which can be a little challenging.Moving the center of the rose down the diaganol will take one or two turns.

post-185-0-71812200-1347072317_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-84470400-1347072646_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Step 10: Continue folding back the left side and roling the rose down the diaganol this creates. Turn and roll about 5 times. you will be holding the rose,pinching the base with your right hand. I stop when I have about two inches left on the strip, but it depends on how large you want the rose to be. Just keep in mind that the larger the rose the more layers and it gets difficult to bring the needle through too many layers. Which leads us to...

Step11: Take your needle and thread again and one more time sew through the layers to make a stitch. Again...do this towards the bottom of the rose but try to catch all of the layers. You may have to squeeze the rose to get the needle through, but dont worry about that, you can fix that when you style the rose. Sometimes I also take a stitch every few rolls, but its not really necessary, once at the beginning and once at the end is the important thing. The sharpness of your needle is important to your sanity at this point also.

post-185-0-54897700-1347073421_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-97295800-1347073434_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Step 12: When you've finished taking the stitch (and knotting it to secure) cut the thread and style your rose. Use the needle to prick and arrange the petals, pinch and twist or even make tiny cuts with sharp scissors to get an illusion of distinctive petals. Cut the "tail" or "stem" that youve been holding on to at the base of the rose.

post-185-0-87672400-1347074029_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-44081600-1347074048_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-56281500-1347074067_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Step 13 : Cut a length of florist wire about 11/2 inches long. This can be recut later when you decide how long you need the stem to be for the vase. Prepare a puddle of tacky glue and dip the wire into the glue on one end. Take this end and attach it to the bottom of our rose by laying it along side the very most bottom edge. You wont be able to push it up the center because of the knotted layers, so just lay it along the side on the bottom. Set the rose aside and be patient...let the glue set up for at least 10 minutes...this is a good time to start your second rose.

post-185-0-83576600-1347074512_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-70986800-1347074534_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

When it becomes more stable (about 10 minutes) proceed to

Step 14: Apply more tacky glue with a toothpick to the base of the rose. At this point it should be stable enough to stand on the florist foam to dry. While waiting for the glue to at least get 75% dry we proceed to..

Step 15: Making the "sepals" and the base of rose. Take a section of coffee filter apx 2 inches by 2 inches. Color it with pastels, green on both sides. This will give us enough for quite a few roses. After colored in, cut a strip about an inch long and 1/4 inch wide. This will be too long, but sort of tear it and make it so there are no corners. Set aside. Cut out the sepals, which are basically long thin spear shapes. Draw them on the paper first if you need to.

Step 16: (optional) Prepare the prepunched leaves if you want accent leaves

post-185-0-95762000-1347075445_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-96961800-1347075468_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-82257500-1347075529_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Step 17 : Shape the sepals by wrapping them around whatever you have close by, I used a clay tool, you could use a toothpick or tapestry needle. After they are twisted, further pinch them and get a nice thin spear shape.

Step 18: Attach the strip we made to the base of the rose by wrapping it around the base, cut off excess. This further stabilizes the rose by using the strip to connect the flower to the wire. Let this set up for a few minutes. Then pick up one of the twisted sepals with tweezers and dip it into the puddle of glue (your puddle may have dried and you may need to make a new puddle by this time :-) When the rose is stable (glue has set up) attach sepals to the base of rose going in a downward direction. Helps to have a visual aid.

Step 19: Arrange prepunched leaves on a wire in whatever manner you would like. Or make leaves from colored coffee filter paper. Or omit leaves, up to you.

Be patient and let the rose dry...hard for me!

post-185-0-92430100-1347076317_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-93010100-1347076355_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-31440200-1347076383_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Step 20: When dry, style rose again if necesary, arranging the petals with the needle.

Disclaimer: These arent meant to be perfect, just a less expensive alternative to add a soft, handmade touch. If you make lots of them, some will be better than others, make an arrangement so that your favorites are up front. I really hope I didnt forget anything and that someone else tries and enjoys making these as much as I do!

Here is our finished little shabby rose!

post-185-0-44775600-1347077148_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-26168000-1347077164_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Oh my - This is absolutely WONDERFUL !!!

I have admired your work for years. Even my grands that mini especially love your mice and stonework.

You have always been so generous with your tips and tricks, resources, links, and support.

This tutorial is so detailed that I think I might actually be able to do it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together.

I'm assuming it is OK to print these instructions so those of us who are a tad visually challenged can have them close up to look at.

I'll wait to do that until you post permission.

Thanks again.

Fantastic tutorial, going to ask hubby to sneak away a couple of coffee filters from work as those are the same shape, and I think a little more pliable than my regular ones.

Thank you for sharing

Hugs

Youre all very welcome! It was either write up a tutorial or work on laundry and I think I made the right choice! Selkie, I dont mind if you copy or print the pictures or the text at all, feel free.

• Like 1

After taking some time to read through your tutorial I have had one area of question come to mind.

Do you use any kind of sealer or preservation method after applying the chalk so it doesn't all just rub off while you are twirling and folding? Following that thought, do you seal them after they are finished:?

If so, what do you use and if not, how do you deal with the chalk to preserve it?

Thanks again for a wonderful tutorial.

I was just thinking about that too. Since I really like the faded look, I didnt seal mine, and ya, the chalk does get on fingers etc. but it doesnt all rub off. I bet it wouldnt hurt to seal them with maybe a matte acrylic spray sealer.

I dont think I would recommend spraying it before you fold the rose though, since its already somewhat difficult to get the needle through...putting a sealer on before might make it harder...but it couldnt hurt to spray afterwards.

The matt spray sealer that one uses for pastels was my thought. If you wanted to make fresh, not faded roses, lightly spray both sides of your filter strip before folding it and use a good metal thimble with thaat needle.