Please remember to support the few Brick and Motar stores left!

chellebelle

I'm planning a visit this week to one of the few actual brick and mortar stores left here in northeast Ohio, Dolls and Minis in Wellington Ohio. I have been saving up for a modest shopping spree, and am so excited to make a list of must haves and maybe a few extravances. It will be hard to decide because she carries so many items! Most of which are not listed on her website.

It's a nice drive on beautiful country roads. Very relaxing. Not too far for me to drive on a good day.

I just thought I'd do a quick reminder to support the few remaining stores. In these days of so many internet websites, it's pretty wonderful be able to actually see and hold items. Not that the internet sites aren't great too! There's something exciting waiting for and finally receiving a box of goodies! I believe there's enough sales to go around.

With the economy so bad nowdays, many customers who used to drive to Dolls and Minis from nearby states are not comming as often. ( I just happened to overhear that) I'm not affiliated with the store, other than as a customer and fellow member of the mini club founded with other customers.

Maybe it sounds a bit selfish, but I would hate to lose that store, it's one of the few places I love to go, and can drive myself since I limit my distance due to fatigue from MS. In addition, the owner, Dawn, has poured her heart and soul (not to mention money,) into the store! She is a member of our Greenleaf family, but I don't think she posts anymore, she's busy trying to give the best customer service she can, and keep afloat.

So, if you happen to be close enough to visit and shop there, please do. That goes for all the other stores in your area.

Hopefully there are enough dollhouse related sales to support both stores and websites! I hope it's OK that I post this here, as I'm not selling anything.

Thanks, Michelle

(P.S. the website is www.dollsandminis.com)

I agree. We've lost our local store and two slightly near ones in recent years. I do try to support them whenever possible, even to using their web site if I can. But realistically the web is the most practical for a lot of my needs.

There are no close mini stores to me, either where I am now or where I moved here from. Our Traci (New Day) has access to THREE! and it's one of the things I love about stopping over in Richmond to visit her!

Not anymore Holly. :(

One closed, but she still sells online. One I don't go to anymore. The 3rd I do go to, but it seems like the same old stuff every time. Nothing new. I still try to support them, though. I would hate to see them close. And I guess if you haven't been there, it would be like heaven - they do have sooo much to see!

I have one tiny shop left in my area, but unfortunately her shop hours don't coordinate with my schedule! :no:

Anywho- whenever I am on the road with a vacation or business trip, I always check the listings for any local shops. Of course my fav vacation spot to stop is at Ron's on my way down to my parents' house in Florida! :D

I have one shop about 20 minutes away (here). In my business travels I try to allow some time to get to other stores if I have an opportunity. I used to go out of my way in North Carolina to a little town called Mocksville and visit Happy House Miniatures. They were always nice and gave me 20% off of anything I wanted. The owner had a lot of old Chrysnbon kits and some other hard to find kits. Her inventory was dated, but she was retired and having some health issues and I was told she wasn't keeping up with everything. The business was for sale at one time.

I have been past a few of these brick and mortars that have closed. It makes me sad to see any local business not make a go of it.

Old inventory is a problem when the $ isnt coming in to buy new things. If I owned a shop I would treat my customers like GOLD...goodness knows we have so many options with online shopping, but for someone to ask about and actually care about your personal projects is really nice.

If anyone is up to a road trip, or passing through Lorain County, Ohio, it's worth visiting the store! I can't think of anyplace I'd rather go to! Wellington is a quaint little town, about a 1/2 an hour drive for me, which is about my energy level limit. She's in the town square part. I would have lunch at one of the wonderful local eateries, but that would mean less money for minis! I do have to say, she really does have more items than any other store I gone to. She also gets in new items all the time. If she doesn't have it, she can get it in just a few days. So, there's always something new and exciting!

I also like to drive around town looking at all the beautiful century old homes and storefronts! I have many more ideas than I have money, but it's fun to dream, lol!

Old inventory is a problem when the $ isnt coming in to buy new things. If I owned a shop I would treat my customers like GOLD...goodness knows we have so many options with online shopping, but for someone to ask about and actually care about your personal projects is really nice.

You know, Karin I think this is exactly part of what I miss at the store that I go to. They are very nice people, but neither husband or wife really seems to be "into" miniatures. The husband builds RGT houses for customers upon request and I think that is where most of the profit is for them. But, they don't have miniatures of their own or seem especially interested in them. Because of that, I don't think they think to ask about projects other than what I need to buy.

Not trying to be picky, though. I am lucky to have shops around here still and I hope they all remain in business. I wish I could buy Bell's (they were trying to sell a few years ago). I would love to fix it up and spend the days talking to mini people like us! :)

I have four wonderful shops that I frequent regularly - at one time there were over 30 miniature shops in California. I always plan road trips around miniature shop stops. In May I will be visiting the Great American Dollhouse Museum and the Kaye Browning collection both in Kentucky along with Lynlott's in Pittsburgh and The Little Dollhouse Company in Toronto.

Valerie

Michelle, you and I think the same way...I would pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and convince myself that since I skipped eating out at a restaurant, I basically could spend an extra $20 on minis that I would have otherwise spent on lunch;-)

Traci, thats interesting, seems odd having a shop if youre not that into miniatures.

Valerie, I dont know what part of CA youre in, but if youre ever in the Modesto area (an hour and a half south of Sacramento, there is a new shop that isnt listed in directories like NAME yet. Its called Huntley House Miniatures and its in Riverbank (basically Modesto). The owner bought out the old Bearly Big Enough that was in Stockton forever.

Traci, thats interesting, seems odd having a shop if youre not that into miniatures.

I thought so, too. But the last few times I have been there, the owner has mentioned in some way or another that it's not her "thing". They have owned it for about 35 years, though, so maybe it was her husband's idea in the beginning and over the years she has lost interest.

I'm just back, and am exhausted but happy. It's a lovely day, the ride was very relaxing.I enjoyed looking at everything, and buying a bunch! I didn't get the Highland, it was already built and painted. So, I shopped and chatted, and another club member came in and we visited, and it was really fun.

I hated to leave, especially since I still had money, lol. I'm keeping until the next meeting, when I'll email Dawn with the items I forgot to get and she can bring them for me.

Lots of new items on every shelf, and more not unpacked yet. I bought things for a house I haven't even built yet, but had to have because I loved them!

What a wonderful day!

• Like 1