yet another scratch build

mesp2k

Mansard roof for entryway

The roof & moldings will be done in faux copper with a bit of verdigris.

The roof will be ribbed.

The poster board & mat board are re-enforced with wooden rafters.

med_gallery_4762_5714_253092.jpg

med_gallery_4762_5714_349125.jpg

Maybe we should have Mike do us a mitering tutorial, too! BTW, the mansard totally rocks!

Thanks Holly - wait till you see it with a faux copper finish! When? Don't know - I ran outta' steam... :tired:

I check & recheck the miter so I don't cut in the wrong direction. I always draw a diagonal line to make sure I'm cutting in the right direction & on the correct side - its really a drag when you do the last cut - its wrong - & you find you've run out of molding, LOL!

I'm just using an Xacto miter box & saw (they could have made the blade stay in the handle a little better & made the blade a bit longer .) I place a piece of scrap wood in the bottom of the miter box - it makes a much cleaner cut & saves the blade. I also clamp the miter box along with the scrap wood to the bench.

...I'm just using an Xacto miter box & saw (they could have made the blade stay in the handle a little better & made the blade a bit longer .) I place a piece of scrap wood in the bottom of the miter box - it makes a much cleaner cut & saves the blade. I also clamp the miter box along with the scrap wood to the bench.

I do the same thing, except now you see why I invested in a flush-cut saw.

My father had a beautiful miter saw / box.

It was something like this one:

miter-box-model-88136303-and-kromedge-26-satin-cut-miter-saw-21260422.jpg

The blade is held in place on top &

glides along without touching any of the metal parts.

I wonder what happened to it?

Nothin' new to report - just wanted to let you know I'm still here -

...I've slowed down to a snails pace & the holiday weekend brought me to a complete halt - the heat broke today & I started cleaning my workshop - made a very very small dent - so much sawdust & tiny pieces of wood :insane: - got to get organized & back on track !!

• 11 months later...

Somewhere online I saw a tiled floor in a hallway that looked like a carpet!

Ok this is over a year ago, but I finally stumbled across the "tile carpet!"

Persian carpet designed by William Handley of Malibu Potteries:

tumblr_lxy9b2eGyY1qa1b1bo1_500.jpg

cc3.jpg

Logia at the Adamson house in Malibu California, built in 1930

Although Malibu Pottery shut down, Malibu Ceramic Works has reinvented and has been producing beautiful handmade ceramic tile in the traditional fashion which once made local tile companies famous, in the early 20th century, in Southern California for the past 30 years.

• Like 1

What a remarkably beautiful build. I missed the beginning of the thread since it started before I joined the board, so am very glad it was posted in one place for us Johnny-come-latelys.