Russian Lodge

Jo Med

Thank you so much Anna and Jeremy. At the moment its in my "I almost hate you" category. The gatehouse part of the kit has no way for the opening front to actually attach to the building - it just props up against it. The shape of the roof makes it impossible to hinge normally - the front catches on the corner of the roof and it won't open. I checked what others had done with this kit and tried to heat and prise apart some bits of MDF to follow someone else's solution . It didn't work and it began to split so I had to glue it back together. I have gaps in the side of the roof which is the main cause of my dissatisfaction with it all. I'm going to have a shot at refitting it today. If that doesn't make it a bit better - its back to the shelf for this build I'm afraid.

(Preparing to run like anything and hiding place all picked out) Could you make a new roof that doesn't catch?

I was trying to unglue a support piece that prevented it from catching Holly. Then I would have been able to attach the support to the roof instead of the front of the house and it wouldn't catch - but it all started splitting on me and its a really odd cross section piece to replace. I've been attempting to create infills this morning. If I can make a decent job of that and put some shingles on to cover it, I might just be able to live with it.

The roof is a difficult shape to recreate but if I can't make this work I might have to take it all off. The shelf is threatening, I hate it when things don't go right and there's no-one to blame but me pffftttt!

Interesting idea Kat but I.m not sure I'm up to the challenge. Think its just going to be a detachable front - maybe held in place with magnets and I'll cover the roof gaps with ridge tiles down each corner - either that or lead flashing.

I've managed to extend both sides of the roof to narrow the gap, remove some of the shingles and patch up to the edges - that's taken most of the day would you believe - lol - there was a lot of thinking and staring of course. I think that some ridge tiles down the edges will cover the remaining gap just fine. I'm thinking of using those versi tiles which are textured card - a bit like sandpaper only a bit finer. I'll know better when the roof is painted.

Thanks for your suggestions - makes me feel not so alone with my problem.

Whohoooo, doing happy dance that it seems to go together! And I do believe you about how much time things like this can stral. But in the end it is most often those parts that makes and gives the item just the right look...

Hugs

• Like 1

Thanks Anna.

Well today I prised off some of the shingles from both sides of the tower roof, extended the sides of the roof with foamcore, patched up the shingles and now I have a much smaller gap. I think I'll be able to conceal it with strips of lead flashing. Who knows if a russian house would have lead flashing - who cares any more - this one will because I've already ordered some. Lets see how it turns out.

I finished the aging on the front wall and the cobbled yard and added a nice little bell on the porte cochere wall so I have actually moved forward.

Anyway here is a picture of Yuri and Lara admiring the view of my workroom shelves and muttering to themselves about how dusty everything is and about how people these days really let standards fall.

post-4015-0-89372700-1330390291_thumb.jp

Jo, I've been intrigued with this one ever since you began with it.

As with all your builds and dolls, your attention to detail is just incredible!

I can't fathom how you think to do all the little bits that you do.

Your pieces always look like you could just walk in to the scene and be a part of it all.

I've long been a Dr. Zhivago fan so that part is especially fun for me to see too.

You are truly gifted !!

Thank you so much Selkie and Beverley.

Yes you are absolutely right Beverley if the sleigh is outside it would make it a winter scene and I'm not sure if I want to commit to that yet (even though there is a christmas tree inside - its in Russia and I intend to keep it as my christmas house - lol). I'm not keen on the plastic horses you can get, not quite up to sculpting one and can't afford to buy a great one - plus there's not really enough room for a horse. The carriage room is on the ground floor but obviously the sleigh would not go through the doors, nor would it negotiate the porte cochere. But - I may still use a bit or artistic licence and stick the sleigh in there or maybe just standing on the cobbles. As for the snow - I'm still toying with that - maybe I will do it later. I'm just a bit worried about it getting dirty and looking awful after a while.

So as you can see there are a lot of anomolies with this house - don't expect I'll ever iron them all out.

Well I have had a real fight with the roof, had to extend the sides to make it fit and then when I was finishing it off with lead flashing to hide the remaining gaps, I broke the front of the roof off by pressing too hard on the lead. Oh my, does this house even want to be built?

Anyway, Dolls House Emporium are sending me a new roof support piece but meantime I've glued the old one back together and it seems to be quite sturdy so here are some of the latest pics - pre ageing and distressing but I was quite pleased with the way it went together in the end. The entire front of the tower, including the roof, is detachable and at the moment is just held there by the porte cochere. I plan to get some of those strip magnets to hold it in place.

Apart from the remaining landscaping, there's just the back of the roof to shingle but I need to order more from GL and the shipping is very high so I'm waiting a while.

post-4015-0-91875800-1330759089_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-84019700-1330759102_thumb.jp

The outside is almost complete. Just waiting for shingles for the back of the roof and then there will be a little more ageing to do. Then its just the carriage house inside to finish.

gallery_4015_4688_142596.jpg