Russian Lodge

Jo Med

I never did decide if this was a summer getaway or a winter hideaway for my impoverished Russian aristos. I'm still straddling the fence with an autumn look - but that could change.

I started this build last year before the Spring Fling and then put it away when the fling kit arrived. I dragged it back down off the shelf a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to get it finished. Just needs landscaping and ageing on the front, the roof finishing and a few bits on the back - oh and the carriage room needs to be done too.

Pics in my gallery

gallery_4015_4688_184693.jpg

Jo this is fantastic!

The doors caught my eye - so creative of you!

I've thought of using wooden bookmarks for decorating, but the fan idea is great & much less expensive.

Is this a kit or kits bashed or...?

The door is simply a piece of basswood cut to fit the archway. I had some laser cut bits that I used as panels for the front door and a piece of routed trim that I cut to fit as a frame. I painted the bits behind the laser cut panels matt black and stained the rest with medium oak stain. Its hinged with bits of black leather sandwiched between the door and the routed trim. The other side is just a plank door. I used some left over siding cut to half its width to make the planks.

The roof is made from Greenleaf speed shingles (best invention ever) in the diamond shape. I've run out of these though and to get some more the shipping will cost me almost twice the price of the actual shingles - bit down in the mouth about that so I may look for an alternative for the other side.

Thanks for the kind comments.

I was just thinking of using some laser cut pieces for my project. I am glad you posted this.

I've seen some inexpensice lace laser cut pieces at stores like Michael's and AC Moore and I am still thinking of how best to use them. They have to have a back (like your door) becacuse they are so thin I worry about breakage. I am thinking of doing a 3 piece panels among other ideas.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Coryann, Cindy and Kat.

Kat, your friend will probably tell you its nothing like a real Russian House - lol

Actually, she said "OMG!!! Is this for real?! Absolutely beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing this wonder with me, Kathryn!"

Hobbytown USA and Utrecht's (and stores like them) are good sources for the thinner basswood to line your doors.

Holly, thanks for the tip! I have been looking for suppliers for certain items and that certainly is one of them!

-Dawn