Miniature Magazines

Robin

I subscribe to 'Miniature Collector'. It's a pretty good magazine with lots of glossy pictures and I like the advertisements for new artisans and products.

I also like Dollshouse World, a British magazine, but is very HARD to find here in the US. I'm going to subscribe to it in the new year. It's very expensive at $82/year, but you can join 'the club' too and get discounts, some freebies when subscribing and whatnot.

There are a few mini-magazines out there . . . Dollshouse Miniature Scene . . . and a few others. I've only ever seen about four or five at my favorite book store (B & N).

I subscribe to Dollhouse Miniatures - because I can still get a subscription to it for cheap. It's a pretty good magazine but the publishers are new to Dollhouses - I think they're doing a pretty good job and each issue has some how-to articles which is what I like.

My Favorite is American Miniaturist. I love the quality of their articles especially their how to's - I've learned how to do some awesome projects from that magazine. I don't subscribe because it's too pricey and for what they charge I can't see having it shipped to me in the mail where the cover will get all wrinkled up and damaged :blink: so I buy them at the miniature shop.

The other one I sometimes buy is Miniature Collector. They don't have as much in how-to's - great photos of antiques and collections but when they do have a how to article it's usually worth the price of the magazine just for that.

-David

I subscribe to Dollhouse Miniatures. Got a good deal on it, and since I'm so new to this craft, I didn't know there were several others to even consider. There's no mini shop nearby, and most of the mags you all talk about are MUCH too expensive for our little local library.

I've gotten lots of good ideas out of the mag already, though, including lots of links to other online sites where I can get more ideas and sometimes downloads, so it's definitely worth it!

I live in an area where the newstands just don't carry miniature magazines -- not even at the bookstores :D

I've subscribed to American Miniaturist since issue #2 -- and incidentally, David, don't hesitate to subscribe because of the fear of the postal service. Every issue I've gotten has been perfect!!! This is my personal favorite -- just great projects & inspiration.

And I subscribe to Dollhouse Miniatures. I like their new format and I'll keep up that subscription unless the articles begin to deteriorate again.

Picked up Miniature Collecter over the years and although they're a great showcase for artisans, most of the information they provide is directed to high-end buyers (which I'm not) and not enough articles concerning construction and techniques (which is what I'm interested in). Guess that's why they call it Miniature Collector :blink: But they have beautiful layouts and photography, so for that reason I'll pick it up when I see it.

Do love the British mags -- lots of how-to's and they're loaded with info, but hard to come by....might subscribe eventually.

I enjoy American Miniaturist which has always been delivered without any damage in its plastic

wrapping.

and I enjoy Dollhouse Magazine.

both have wonderful photos and great projects!

I find them a tad pricey when its time to renew but I just cant seem to not renew!

love my mini mags.

nutti :blink:

This is so cool! I didn't realize American Miniaturist came in a protective plastic - I may have to rethink subscribing :p Our post office leaves a bit to be desired... some months my Dollhouse Miniatures arrives fine.. others it's late and looks like been to China and back, but even on the good months.. our postal worker insists on folding it in half and shoving it through the slot in the mail box instead of just opening the box to put it in <sigh> I've actually been tempted to take a hammer and try to bend that slot opening shut... but I don't think either the post office or my brother-in-law (who I share the mail box with) would like that very much :)

Melanie - I was just curious when the last time you saw DHM was. I'd hate for you to subscribe and be disappointed. I actually cancled my subscription when the magazine was sold and when I saw the infamous pompom chick cover issue I thought - oh well there's the end of another miniature magazine. But I started buying it again last November and then around February I resubscribed. Every now and then they still put something in that leaves me scratching my head and wondering just what in the heck about this article is miniature?.. but that's pretty few and far in between and they do seem to be listening to their customer feedback about their articles and issues - and the subscription price is pretty good (especially if you get it through a seller on ebay but if you do definitely check out the seller's feedback before ordering)

-David

My Favorite is American Miniaturist. I love the quality of their articles especially their how to's - I've learned how to do some awesome projects from that magazine. I don't subscribe because it's too pricey and for what they charge I can't see having it shipped to me in the mail where the cover will get all wrinkled up and damaged :) so I buy them at the miniature shop.

-David

I subscribe, and the American Miniaturist magazine has always arrived perfect (shipped all the way to Canada). Each edition is wrapped in a heavy plastic with a cardboard insert.

When I can, I pick up Dollhouse World, Miniature Collector and Dollhouse Miniature Magazines. I'll probably subscribe because I don't often see them at Chapters and Indigo where I usually shop for books..

-Susanne

I turned on the links system and added a category for this subject. I figured it's a good way to test this feature. At the time you can not submit links. I need to sort out some details first but will make an announcement when it's fully functional. I think it will be a great resource down the road.

Thanks!

Dean

I subscribe to three magazines. American Miniaturist, Miniature Collector and Dollhouse Miniatures and I'm always so excited when they've arrived. I've never had a problem with delivery or damages. All three come in protective covers.

Wendy

I subscribe to three magazines. American Miniaturist, Miniature Collector and Dollhouse Miniatures and I'm always so excited when they've arrived. I've never had a problem with delivery or damages. All three come in protective covers.

Wendy

Your Dollhouse Miniatures comes in a protective cover?? Mine has Never arrived that way - not the first time I subscribed or this last time. I wonder if that's something they only do to magazines going out of the U.S. <?>

-David

Your Dollhouse Miniatures comes in a protective cover?? Mine has Never arrived that way<?>

-David

Mine, neither -- but then my postman doesn't fold it either -- probably 'cause I have a rural mail box and he doesn't get the opportunity :)

I've subscribed to Dollhouse Miniatures since the early 90's and have never received mine in a protective cover either. Miniature Collector and American Miniaturist have always arrived in a protective cover though. I love Miniature Collector for the gorgeous photos of the gorgeous miniature scenes. I have also come to love American Miniaturist as it seems to have the right amount of everything. I am tiring of Dollhouse Miniatures though since they seem to be focuisng almost entirely on DIY projects.

Valerie

California

Thanks for your input!! I went to Borders today and picked up the only two mags they had - Miniature Collector and Dollhouse Miniatures. That was the entirety of their dollhouse stuff! No books.

I thought the Dollhouse Miniatures was the best of the two. Miniature Collector has some really great photos but way too high end for me. I'll check out American Miniaturist - that's seems to be a big favorite. Thanks!

I subscribe to all three mags myself and I too am excited to see one of them in my mailbox. I love looking at big glossy pictures of miniature projects, roomboxes, and dollhouses and all three provide that eye candy for me. I search ebay for old issues of Nutshell News as well.

Your Dollhouse Miniatures comes in a protective cover?? Mine has Never arrived that way - not the first time I subscribed or this last time. I wonder if that's something they only do to magazines going out of the U.S. <?>

-David

The subscription costs are quite a bit higher to Canada. I guess that part of the expense is that they package them extra well. I guess that the higher subscription prices are more than just covering postage and handling.

-Susanne

Deborah, you can go to their website and get all the information you need at http://www.americanminiaturist.com/am_subscribe2005.asp You can even subscribe online.

Looks like it's $112.00 for two years and $59.00 for one year.

a funny story about mini magazines

I recieve 2 and they usually come a few days apart

everyone who has been around me knows that the day my magazine comes to not plan on a conversation with me till I have been through the whole magazine at least once.

well the first time one arrived after gran came I told her it was my magazine time and I wouldnt be available for conversation for awhile

but she kept talking...after awhile I hear her and catie talking..she is PO coz I am ignoring her

I heard catie say...she cant hear you anymore she is in miniland and we are not there.

now she comes and finds me and gives me my mag and says have a nice visit...Ill talk to you later!

I am totally gone on magazine days.

nutti :)

David, I'm not sure how protective a cover it is but it does come in a sealed envelope. I really hadn't given it much thought until now but Susanne is probably right, we do pay more for subscriptions. When I took out mine in Feb. 06 I paid $95. US ($112. CDN) for two years. There was a sale on.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy,

That's probably it then but ouch the price! That's the only reason I haven't subscribed to Doll's House World or any of the other magazines coming out of the UK- I love the English magazines They have all kinds of great stuff in them! But it just cost too much to subscribe to it from England to America for me to bite the bullet and subscribe.

-David