Photos of My Haunted House, So Far

Rowan555

I spent a lot of time on this last night, but I don't have that much to show for it. I'm hoping to spend a bit more time this afternoon so I can get the second floor in and finish painting the second floor walls. I made some mistakes and I'm REALLY glad that I decided to view this as a "learning experience" in order to get lots of those "first-timer" mistakes out of the way. I plan to do much better on the Orchid B)

Main things I've learned - life will be MUCH easier when my easy cutter arrives. And I need some decent clamps - using chip clips from the kitchen just doesn't cut it :blink: Oh yeah - and that whole dry-fitting thing? You guys know what you're talking about - I did it sort of halfway and should have spent more time doing it right before attaching walls, etc. Lesson learned!

Photos are in my gallery. Go easy on me!

Susan

I actually bought that paper at Michael's last week b/c the scrapbook paper was on sale - I had no idea how much I needed or what I was going to end up doing with it, but I bought three sheets of each and it was perfect. Now that I see how good it looks I'll be stocking up next time the paper goes on sale.

It's coming right along -- the paper will certainly give it the appropriately haunted feel :blink: Gonna be a real cute little house.

LOL!! When I saw the wallpaper, I thought, "Wow! It looks just like Aunt Louise's house!" Aunt Louise lives in the family home in New Orleans, a double shotgun that has been in the family for about 150 years! (And is where DH was born at home.)

You go, girl! This is looking good!

LOL!! When I saw the wallpaper, I thought, "Wow! It looks just like Aunt Louise's house!" Aunt Louise lives in the family home in New Orleans, a double shotgun that has been in the family for about 150 years! (And is where DH was born at home.)

You go, girl! This is looking good!

Thanks, I take that as a big compliment. I wasn't actually going for a New Orleans look, but I think it's just part of my "being" and I can't help having it come through in the things that I do.

I've gotten the second floor on (that was a nightmare) and painted the attic walls - as soon as they're dry I'm going to tackle the roof. Why am I dreading that part so much? Is this where I realize nothing fits together anymore? :blink:

Susan

You're making good progress, I too like your choice of wallpaper. Don't fear the roof, if it gives you to much trouble walk away for a while. (That's what I had to do on my first house) :blink:

I got half of the roof done - I may do a bit more and then it's time to go to bed. Hoping to work on it a bit more tomorrow in between errands and yardwork. The purple looks garish in the photos, but it looks nice (imo) in person - much richer/darker). Teo more photos are in the gallery.

I found some really neat scrapbook paper packs at Dollar Tree today and that pretty much decided the color scheme for my Orchid when I'm done with this house. It's going to be wild - I actually can't wait to get started on it. That must mean I truly am addicted already, mustn't it?

Susan

The purple looks garish in the photos, but it looks nice (imo) in person - much richer/darker).

That must mean I truly am addicted already, mustn't it?

Susan

Oh, Susan, I had no doubt that you were an addict :blink: B)

And the purple doesn't look garish -- it looks haute witchee if you ask me :D

The purple looks garish in the photos, but it looks nice (imo) in person - much richer/darker).

Susan

I think this is some kind of digital photo thing. When I took photos of the charity dollhouse, it appeared that there was a big area (maybe 1.5 x 2 inches) of siding on the porch that hadn't been painted. But when seen with the naked eye, it did have a coat of paint. I think the photo washes out areas that are not thoroughly saturated with color. The bit in question probably only got one coat of paint, as it was in an awkward place. The rest of the siding had 2 or 3 coats.

so will this be a haunted house?

or will this be a happy party house?

I happen to like the purple! it looks great

and once you add the trim...like you said it should tone it down to a low yell

instead of shouting at you..."hey look at me"

I an enjoying your photos and your excitement.

I always enjoy opening a new kit and getting started on a new house.

nutti :blink:

I finished the structure last night, put on the trim and shutters and the porch, then did a stucco effect on the exterior walls today. I'll let that dry and paint the exterior tomorrow - probably a dark gray, but I'm not sure yet. I think it's coming together quite nicely, and I'm very happy with it so far.

Wow - that's some quick building, and it's looking wonderful! I love the stucco! What did you use?? I tried for a stucco effect on my Glencroft, and I had a hard time getting the texture right (I used the Greenleaf stucco mixed with paint).

Can't wait to see it furnished!

it does look nice!

I have a big tub of that stuff and was wanting to try it out an a haunted house

when it dries will it crack much? or at all?

also I noticed you had the window frames and outside trim on before the stucco effect

was this the way to do it or would you recomend doing it differently?

when I do the tissue/paint method I do it very lightly or not at all around those areas and put the trims on last

I want to try something different and this seems like just the thing.

thanks

nutti :D

it does look nice!

I have a big tub of that stuff [wallboard mud] and was wanting to try it out an a haunted house

I used wallboard mud on my Orchid for a different kind of stucco effect in a fairly thin layer. I "buttered" it on with a fairly flexible palette knife and then pounced it with a damp sponge to raise the little peaks. So far haven't seen any signs of cracking, and the house has been handled a lot, turned every which way while I was working on it.

Here is a pic that shows part of the stucco texture and part of the foundation, also made from wallboard mud. It is thicker than the walls. No sign of cracking there, either.

it does look nice!

I have a big tub of that stuff and was wanting to try it out an a haunted house

also I noticed you had the window frames and outside trim on before the stucco effect

was this the way to do it or would you recomend doing it differently?

thanks

nutti :D

As much as I hated to put the trim on first, I think it was necessary b/c the texture is so heavy. It won't take more than a few minutes to touch up the trim paint after I paint the house. Now putting the porch up was just plain STUPID :( - I don't know WHAT I was thinking when I did that. That was the only thing that made it very challenging.

I started off using a craft stick to apply the joint compound, but quickly realized a spatula would be much more efficient and effective. I found an old one in my kitchen and it was SO much easier. I used the craft stick to get up in the hard to reach areas, and I used my fingers as well. It was fun! I'm thinking I might try using joint compound on another house to make a stone effect, using the edge of the craft stick to "draw" the borders of the stones. Then I can paint each individual stone, and the joint compound in between the stones will serve as the mortar. I'm going to do a test board of that one day soon to see how it would look.

I used wallboard mud on my Orchid for a different kind of stucco effect in a fairly thin layer. I "buttered" it on with a fairly flexible palette knife and then pounced it with a damp sponge to raise the little peaks. So far haven't seen any signs of cracking, and the house has been handled a lot, turned every which way while I was working on it.

Here is a pic that shows part of the stucco texture and part of the foundation, also made from wallboard mud. It is thicker than the walls. No sign of cracking there, either.

I really like the look of yours, thanks for the tip. I may try that on a future house. I wouldn't have thought about using a sponge. The joint compound is so easy to use it seems like you could do so many different effects with it. Your foundation is incredible as well - I was just posting about doing a stone effect in the future, and that looks WAY better than anything I could come up with!

On second thought....

I just got done painting - and while it wasn't hard to paint around the trim, and it will probably take only 5 minutes to touch up the trim paint, I might go about it a different way if I had to do it again. I'd probably prime the exterior, then place the trim where it goes and trace around it with a pencil, then remove it and do the texture and paint, THEN paint the trim and glue it to the house. As long as you're really careful not to texturize past the pencil lines, you'll be okay - and your finished product will probably be a bit neater than mine.

I wanted to do my house grey and my roof black - I ended up using some house paint we had in the garage, and it's a bit darker than I would have liked - but I figured it made sense to use something we had on hand.

I bought a floor tile at Lowes yesterday and I'm thinking about doing the stone tile "thing" with the exacto knife and putting it on the porch. We'll see how THAT goes...

Hi Susan,

I'm ashamed to say that I only finally just took a look at your gallery - but wow the house is looking great! And even though i'm not a "purple" sort of person - I really like the color in the attic :) Can't wait to see how it comes along :p

-David