Photos of My Haunted House, So Far

Rowan555

I really like the look of yours, thanks for the tip. I may try that on a future house. I wouldn't have thought about using a sponge. The joint compound is so easy to use it seems like you could do so many different effects with it. Your foundation is incredible as well - I was just posting about doing a stone effect in the future, and that looks WAY better than anything I could come up with!

Susan, the stonework was waaaaaaay too easy. I used a toothpick to draw the mortar lines. Then put a dirty wash (thin black/brown) over it and came back with some browns, greens washes on individual stones. Piece of King cake. :)

Thanks, guys. I had a color problem (the walls came out WAY too dark) so I ended up finding some OLD OLD OLD silver paint and I smeared it all over the roof (original plan was to do a black roof). I need to get a bottle of new silver paint to cover the old stuff, but I'm actually pretty pleased with the look and I think it has a bit of a magical quality that it was lacking up until now, with the rather somber interior colors. I put up a photo in the gallery, let me know what you think.

I "collected" some tiny poster images from art.com and allposters.com to paste all over the walls on the second floor - various witch-themed prints and The Scream - and I found a neat pentagram drawing which I'm going to modge podge onto a homemade table for the "spell room." It's coming together. It's hard to believe I just got this kit on Thursday. I better not do all my houses this quickly or I'll run out of space and money REALLY quickly! Of course once all the "big stuff" is done I'll move onto the little details and spend several weeks getting it as perfect as possible. Then it will be time to help my son with his "Christmas house" - a Primrose is on the way for him right now.

One thing I'm really not sure about...I widened the doorway on the first floor before contemplating the fact that the stairs will now cross over part of the doorway. Do you guys think I should leave the stairs out, or just put them in even though the doorway is going to "intersect" with them? I could probably do a little angle-topped bookshelf to put behind the stairs to fill in that gap... I just don't know.

Wow! the silver is perfect! Isn't it nice what great ideas a little pacing can jostle loose! :p

Stairs are something of a personal choice item. I left them out of my Orchid because they made the kitchen too crowded, which is going to prove a real problem when the occupant of the house has to fill the hip bath in the second floor bath ... the only running water will be a hand pump on the kitchen sink! :) Hardly anyone who has seen the house has remarked on the lack of stairs.

In the haunted house, you may want to keep the stairs and jury rig a bookcase or something. A witch's house needs to have nooks and crannies and ghosties and ghoulies ... one could be peeking out from under the stairs. :p

Maybe some dead mums in the window boxes? Or herbs for spell recipes??

It's grand to see that you're having so much fun with this project!