Custom Beds, Draperies Etc

Deborah

I didn't think I'd be terribly impressed by a site of beds - Wow! was I wrong! Awesome stuff - have you see the Good Witch's bed? And some of those drapes - I don't normally drool over drapes but there's a green and gold set on clearance there that I'd be sorely tempted to buy.. if I had a room that only needed one set of drapes and wouldn't make the rest of the house look shabby :blink: And some of those Christmas beds are pretty awesome too!

Thanks for the link I'm definitely goign to put this one on my favorites list!

-David

Wow, what an awesome site! I've added it to my favorites and will visit it often . . . . maybe one day soon I'll buy a bed set too! :blink:

I think her prices are VERY reasonable! I've seen the same beds for over $500 on some sites.

I am drooling right now. The stuff on there is amazing. I won't be able to spend more on my dollhouse beds than the furniture in my real house, but those drapery prices aren't that bad. Since I can't sew to save my life, I may have to take a trip back over there when it is time to do my windows.

Stacey

Wow, what an awesome site! I've added it to my favorites and will visit it often . . . . maybe one day soon I'll buy a bed set too! :lol:

I think her prices are VERY reasonable! I've seen the same beds for over $500 on some sites.

Now look, I KNOW we are all a bit crazy, But I CAN NOT imagine paying $500 for one piece of DH funiture, artist made or not. That is ridiculous. No offense to anyone here, but "reasonable"... really?? :blink:

Maybe part of me is just jealous that I can't afford to spend $500 on a piece of DH furniture! LOL

I didn't mean to say that $500 is reasonable . . . but I think $100 is reasonable for the quality of the BEDROOM SETS this lady is making and is on par with the $500 beds!

Check this out: http://www.miniaturesbyjune.com/ Her beds are at $500 or more!

her prices as compare to others I have found are not bad

if I sold one thing I would probably have to buy one of her creations

I love the pleats and how elegant it all looks together

nutti :D

Thanks for sharing this site ... her beds are so elegant and very well-made for the price she's asking. I've seen dressed beds advertised that cost much more than this. I recently paid $185 for a dressed baby change table for my Beacon Hill. My skills are limited, and I'm more than willing to pay an artisan for her talent and work.

-Susanne

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Glad you enjoyed the site , Susanne same with my skills very limited, due to corpal tunnel in both arms/hands, but i get by and no complaints. Anyway I am saving my change for sure, cause I am gonna have one of those gorgeous beautiful beds in the next few months hehehhe hubby Ken said he didnt mind he found one he liked also OH geeezzeee does that mean we are gonna buy two of them lmao

Have a great day

This brings me to a question I'm a little hesitant to ask, (I don't want anyone to think I'm here to sell stuff........you know I'm here coz I love hanging out with you guys) but what do ya'll think is a reasonable price for a dressed bed? I'm terrible at pricing, but one of the things I'm going to be adding to inventory is dressed beds. (like this one I made for my Pierce) The main reason I made that bed in the first place is because I didn't want to spend $100 on a mini bed and the reason I've decided to add them to inventory is because I'm really dedicated to the fact that mini-ists should have affordable options for designer type items. My beds aren't nearly in this league and I totally agree that her beds are worth every penny, but help me out..........what is an affordable price that you'd consider paying for a dressed bed? I've been considering around $50-$65. What do ya'll think?

Deb

My beds aren't nearly in this league and I totally agree that her beds are worth every penny, but help me out..........what is an affordable price that you'd consider paying for a dressed bed? I've been considering around $50-$65. What do ya'll think?

Deb

I think it is reasonable. I also think you shouldn't undercut yourself when you are starting out. Down the road people may expect to pay $50 for Deb bed when it is cleary worth more. If I may ask, how did you arrive at the price range.

Deb, I agree, don't undercut yourself in the beginning because you'll pay for it in the end (pun intended)! :D Everyone is different in what they will or will not pay . . . I'd be happy to pay $50 - $100 for a bed IF I really, really loved it and because it's not something I particularly enjoy doing myself.

BTW, what do you charge for your perfume bottles and how can I get me some? :D

Hi Deb,

Gotta toss my 2 cents in here too.. ok 10 cents - you know inflation and my tendancy to ramble on hehehe :D I think 50$ is just too cheap. That bed is beautiful! And as you make more they'll only get more and more beautiful. Don't underprice your work. Have you been to the miniature show you were going to yet? If not then wait till you get there and look and see what comperable work is priced at - I think you'll realize more that what you do is worth more than you think it is.

<hugs>

David

Deb -

Your bed is beautifully made. I'd easily pay $100 for a dressed bed like the one that you showed. What attracts me first of all is the fabric that is used. If it's a fabric/pattern/colour/lace that really appeals to me, I will go higher. The most I've spent on one piece of dressed furniture is about $200 (U.S.) If it was an item that I just had to have, I would go higher.

Your workmanship is excellent.

What I've noticed some of the sellers (that I regularly deal with) on ebay do when they list a new item (a line or product that they haven't carried before) is run it as an auction item starting at the lowest price that they would be satisfied to attain. If it sells quite high, they use the selling price as future "buy it now". Other sellers, list their "firsts" fairly high to start so that they don't become a "discount deb" seller. Still others, will offer low to start, and raise their prices as they attain a name for themselves.

I guess it's a real hard call. On the particular bed that you've shown on this thread, I wouldn't start the bid at under $75.00. I'd think myself fortunate to win the bed at that price.

Buyers are fickle. It depends on what the buyer is looking for. Some buyers are bargain hunters. I know that I'm someone that will pay a higher price for miniatures, but I also look at a lot of sites and ebay auction items before I make a choice. If an item catches my eye, I'll buy it.

I'm looking forward to watching your grow as a seller. There are a couple of other subscribers to this site who's work I've fell in love with. I think you'll do very well.

-Susanne

You guys are sooooooooooo great! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your input on this. I don't want to underprice things by being paranoid about overpricing. (did that make sense?) I've been researching on line and find dressed beds for anywhere from $50 to $500 so there doesn't seem to be any standardized range. But if ya'll think that the $100 range isn't too high, that's where I'll go.

If I may ask, how did you arrive at the price range.

Well, that's just it. I'm trying to figure out a formula for how to set prices and I have to admit I'm a bit lost on that. I ran my own business for 15 years, but setting tuition rates (services) is a lot different than setting prices for products. I'd sure appreciate any insight from other sellers about how to develop a formula for pricing. I don't have any problem with calculating the cost of supplies as the base line, but then I clutch about how to set value on time and effort.

Have you been to the miniature show you were going to yet? If not then wait till you get there and look and see what comperable work is priced at -
Excellent idea!! I never would have thought of that! The show is the second week in September and I'll take along a note pad and check the prices there. I'm going to be working on the beds in the next few weeks so that's perfect timing.

You don't want to be known as "budget Bed Deb"

<giggling> Well, I've been called worse, but I think as nicknames go, that's *definitely* one I want to avoid!! ;) But you're right. I don't want to start out with a reputation of being too cheap since people tend to associate lower prices with lower quality.

Buyers are fickle. It depends on what the buyer is looking for. Some buyers are bargain hunters. I know that I'm someone that will pay a higher price for miniatures, but I also look at a lot of sites and ebay auction items before I make a choice. If an item catches my eye, I'll buy it.
Thank you Susanne. I really appreciate your insight from a buyer's perspective. I don't buy much on eBay so your experience is *very* helpful information.

BTW, what do you charge for your perfume bottles and how can I get me some? :lol:

<cackle> I can definitely hook you up with some of those! I'll send you a pm with info.

Thanks again guys. I really, really appreciate your input more than I can say. The good news is that my business license arrived in the mail this week, so I'm legal to sell now! I've been working almost non-stop for the past three days on things like getting my website ready for sales, setting up a shopping cart, creating brochures, opening shipping accounts and that kind of thing. Since I'm exhibiting the faerie house and the samurai house at the Denver show, that seems like a good time to plan on launching the sales part of my site in earnest.

I'm so excited! And you guys are just the greatest!

Deb

Well, that's just it. I'm trying to figure out a formula for how to set prices and I have to admit I'm a bit lost on that. I ran my own business for 15 years, but setting tuition rates (services) is a lot different than setting prices for products. I'd sure appreciate any insight from other sellers about how to develop a formula for pricing. I don't have any problem with calculating the cost of supplies as the base line, but then I clutch about how to set value on time and effort.

Deb

I asked because my mom and I were having a conversation about "crafter suicide". A lot of people around here try to start selling their craft, but don't make a profit. They either try to undercut the competition or don't know how to price. I am probably going to be losing my job around October. I'm am going to be helping my mom this year plus making some general type crafts. I am hoping that can make enough capital to get some minis and dollhouses for the Christmas craft shows.

For the last six years my mom has been making personalized Strip quilted Christmas stockings. Mom has a Viking Husquva(SP) Embroidery Machine and a Singer Embroidery Machine. The stocking have a lot of decrotive stitiching with an embroidered holiday design in the middle. And they are bigger than store bought. Mom has sold about 600 of these for $25 each.

Now that I have given you my life story... Mom generally doubles the price of the wholesale cost of materials and adds an Hourly wage to each finished piece. Mom only sells by word of mouth, but this year since we will probably be going to craft shows and possibly ebay she is going to recalculate the wholesale cost to include the craft show fees, advertising, travel etc.

There are some books by Barbara Brabec. Craft Business Answer Book, Homemade Money, Starting Smart and Handmade Profits. I haven't read any of these. I have a book How to Start Making Money with your Crafts by Kathryn Caputo. Its very informative. The formula above is in the book, but the author says it is for wholesale pricing. Mom thought that was the retail pricing formula. That is what her friends use to calculate their prices.

My apologies if I rambled.

This is a very interesting thread. Knowing how to price from a retailer's perspective would enable you to know how to recover your costs for materials and time. I think that buyers can be helpful in educating what they're looking for.

I've acquired many minis over the last few years. More and more I'm in search of the illusive "wow" factor in miniatures. When I furnish a scene, I purchase the same old standard items: trims, floor coverings, wallpapers, beds, kitchen sets, landscaping items ... you know. But then, I look for those something extras. If I have a fruit bowl on the table, I love to have a half-peeled orange sitting beside it. A child holding a banana that has the peel pulled down.

When I buy a child's toy - I want a domino box set with real dominoes, a tinker toy windmill that actually turns, a carousel where the animals are handmade and unique, books with real pages and pictures. On the bedroom dresser I want a comb, perfume bottles, lipstick, compact. Details are important to me.

I love to have a dressed bed or sofa set that I won't see in 5 out of 10 dollhouses. That's what I look for.

-Susanne