Custom Beds, Draperies Etc

Deborah

I like your way of thinking Susanne! Decorate the room with the "standards" and then 'dress' it with the extra one-of-a-kind items! I love it!

DEB - - - YOU GO GIRL!! I wish you much success with your new endeavors!

Mom generally doubles the price of the wholesale cost of materials and adds an Hourly wage to each finished piece

I hate to be a naysayer.. but I've been told that this kind of pricing doesn't really work with miniatures. The thing with crafts is that it's very hard to charge for your time because the better you are the quicker you can work and still have better quality work than a beginner.. so somtimes it's best to base the price on the product created not on how long it took to make. When I had my own ceramics shop I did use a formula and it worked like this - Price of mould divided by 10 that equalled your greenware price x2 equals bisque price- x2 equalled the finished price wholesale x 2 again equalled the retail price. It didn't take into account your time, the cost of slip, firings, paints or glazes etc but it's the same basic formula all cermaicists were using at the time so it was both competative and fair. Using the standard formula the income covered all my costs and I made a good profit without having to calculate how much glaze a certain piece might take or how many pieces will fit into one firing and divide the cost of firing by the size of each piece etc. It was simple and it worked - and it was the industry standard. I think different formulas work for different arts and crafts.

With miniatures what I've been told is that you really can't charge for materials because it takes such little material - of course this depends on what you're doing. If you're using precious metal and gem stones you betcha that should go into how much you charge! But a lot of the materials I get and use are just not really divisible by what it makes. I could determine how much clay it takes to make a doll and divide up my work that way and charge by how many hours it takes for me to put a doll together but to be honest , it wouldn't be worth my time to figure out how many wigs I can get out of a package of hair, how much material is on each one, etc. It's easier for me to look at the finished product and see if it has a good sell value or not. All the little bits and pieces no matter how much they cost to work with aren't worth much in the end if the final product is not up to the community standards.

Today we went to an estate sale where they had antique lace for sale - sis was like who would pay that much for old lace?!... well it depends.. to an average person looking at a recently dressed doll and having to have it explained yes.. but the price is high because I used antique lace.. they might be thinking you know for the price I'll take the new lace it looks better. On the other hand someone restoring a real collectors piece and using the actual laces of the period it would be Well worth the price to know that what they're buying has beeen fully and accurately restored right down to using antique laces - in that case the extra cost of the antique lace and the extra price it would add to the finished piece would be well worth it. It all depends on the skill of the artis, what your market will bear and who your target market is.

Anyway I know everyone works differently and has different formulas and I think no matter what your formula is - if you find one that works stick to it ;) But if you're not sure where to begin - I always begin by seeing what the competition is selling and for how much - just for information - and if you're fair and competative in price and quality you should do ok. I don't mean you should undercut the other guys, just offer a fair product at competative prices and that's usually a good place to start.

David :lol:

David you are so right! I have paid more for a doll because of the fact that it had antique lace and pricing miniatures is so tricky which is why you have to be careful not to go too high or set a price below what it is worth.

This has always been an issue for me. I have some of my customers from 3 years ago that won't buy from me now because they feel my prices are too high (though I now electrify the houses and use paper clay which is more expensive than paint & spackle ;) ) and I have one customer recently to send me more money when she recieved the house because she felt I priced my item too low and she loved the peice (I was flattered and surprised because it was an ebay auction).

When you do find the right formula, you gotta share it with us all :lol: . I price my items

at a price that I will feel comfortable parting with the piece. "Too high" is a relative term, what's too high for one person is very low to another and vice versa ;)

I think you've got the key to it right there, Tracy, setting a price you're comfortable with and feel good about. It doesn't matter how much money a person makes if they're not feeling good about what they're doing or the value of thier work. I think you just nailed it ;)

-David

I think you've got the key to it right there, Tracy, setting a price you're comfortable with and feel good about. It doesn't matter how much money a person makes if they're not feeling good about what they're doing or the value of thier work. I think you just nailed it ;)

-David

I agree!! I believe I've been trying to over complicate the whole process by searching for that magic formula. Holly, the formula you gave is the one I was looking for and that works for quite a few things, so I'll use it part of the time. Tracy and David, your insight is what I needed for figuring out what to do when the formula doesn't work.

Susanne and Teresa, your buyers opinions are also what I needed! You helped me gel a concept that had been illusive. Everything that I'm going to be selling is OOAK and I'd been a bit worried that I wouldn't find a market there. In fact, I have been flavoring my building over the past few weeks with a more generic tone to appeal to more people. While I still need to do that, what you've told me has helped me realize that I should find a balance. I'll do a lot of mainstream appeal, but I want to do the really unique things for those who want things they can't find in every mini outlet. Because my own style leans to the out of the ordinary, I was creating a conflict for myself by trying to build more exclusively mainstream. (believe me, this has had my muse quite upset) It's helped me quite a lot to hear that unique is in demand.

Deb

I'll do a lot of mainstream appeal, but I want to do the really unique things for those who want things they can't find in every mini outlet. Because my own style leans to the out of the ordinary, I was creating a conflict for myself by trying to build more exclusively mainstream. (believe me, this has had my muse quite upset) It's helped me quite a lot to hear that unique is in demand.

Deb, you've got to follow your muse! That's what will 'set you apart' from all the rest. Once you're out there and selling your product, people will seek you out because they know you have something different to offer! Follow your heart and the rest will fall into place!! ;)

Deborah, thank you so much for giving us the link. I couldn't resist when I saw the sets so I had to purchase one. I picked the CATRIENA Victorian Green/ Peaches. I fell in love with that one. I'm just not sure which house it will go in yet.

Oh, Wendy, congratulations on your purchase!! That is a BEAUTIFUL set and I can't wait to see it in one of your lovely houses.

I've just purchased a couple pairs of drapes for the Beacon Hill from her! :lol:

I'm so amazed by her work.

Wendy, I know what you mean! I'm in awe!! And she seems like such a nice lady too!! :D

I purchased two pair of the Ecru drapes with balloon valances. One pair is going on the third floor hall window and the other pair in the bathroom.

She's also going to be making me a bed and curtains in the 'Sylvia' style for the bedroom. I'm mailing her a sample of my wallpaper. I have to wait awhile though because she's swamped with work now and I'm not in any hurry . . . I have something else to look forward to right now! You know what I mean!! :lol:

Oh Deborah, I wish I had known. I'm sorry, I would have bought one of the others instead. I really love them all.

Tracy, how sweet you are, thank you!! Speaking of Webshots, how do you like the new format? I'm not so sure I like it or maybe it's just getting used to something new. I'm such a creature of habit and I'm beginning to hate changes especially when I was quite happy with the way it was.

I just visited the miniature site "Little Dollhouse Company". It's a Canadian miniature store out of Toronto (long way from me, but I order from them occasionally).

http://www.thelittledollhousecompany.com/

Please check out their site. They have the most gorgeous new dressed beds and sofas by Serena.

Just go to their site and click on "What's New" ... the items were just added on August 28th.

And, yes, I did place an order. :D

-Susanne

Oh Susanne, I was just looking at her site this morning and I didn't click on that link. What beauties they are!! I especially like the Country Comfort set.

Which one did you purchase? They are all so beautiful.

If you ever get to Toronto, I would suggest you make a trip to her store, it's absolutely fantastic. Just make sure you have a day to spare just to look at everything. They even serve you unlimited coffee while you browse. The store is amazing!

I ordered the high backed Victorian Crib (ecru) by Serena, and also the pink toile day bed (also be Serena), and a green sage dressed bed and end table (thought it might go nicely in my Orchid) ... Mama Bear isn't very happy with the bed she's be given. She feels that Papa Bear definitely scored higher in the bed department. This, after I've bought her new dishes for her kitchen and am in the process of painting and installing more shelving. She's a real bear to deal with. Then I ordered a couple of dolls. I thought I was finished, but when talking with Maria (owner of Dollhouse store) this morning, she mentioned a doll/vanity set that she thought I'd be interested in. When she sent me the photos, it so reminded me of Shalean's visits and how she loved to play dress-up in front of her own vanity mirror.

Yes, it's on my "to do" list that when Ray retires I want to take a trip to Toronto to see her store.

-Susanne