Flashing the Garfield....

uppitycats

with real copper flashing. ....

I couldn't get the pics to load on this site (kept getting some weird error message?) but if you go here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/uppitycats

you can see the new pictures. And some kinda neat interior shots.

Spent part of the day painting the french doors that will go in the balcony spaces, and the back door, and a couple of pieces of wall where I modified things a bit...and laid a few more shingles -- I can only do a couple rows at a time, and then the glue has to thoroughly dry, or they'll start to slide down the roof...

I noticed, awhile ago -- that one of the windows/french doors in MY Garfield is different than the pictures I have, and different from what I've seen of other Garfields here..

MINE is cut (in the exterior wall of the house) with an arch....and there's an interior wall where the opening is square. So I had to do some building of walls. (Or...I put the thing together weird. Anyway...the exterior wall WAS arched!...and none of the windows for these openings was arched??)

Anyway...I'll try early in the morning to load the pictures here...I have a dial-up modem, and that might have been the problem (as I didn't have a problem before...but was loading early in the a.m.)...

The flashing looks great, in keeping with the great job y'all are doing on the rest of the house. The floors are really special, and your interior decorating is superb! I hope the little family gets some furniture soon!

The flashing looks great :lol: , can't wait to see how it looks with the shingles against it.

I noticed, awhile ago -- that one of the windows/french doors in MY Garfield is different than the pictures I have, and different from what I've seen of other Garfields here..

MINE is cut (in the exterior wall of the house) with an arch....and there's an interior wall where the opening is square. So I had to do some building of walls. (Or...I put the thing together weird. Anyway...the exterior wall WAS arched!...and none of the windows for these openings was arched??)

Which of the window/french doors are you talking about, the one above the room with the bay window? (I want to call it the kitchen because of my garfield, I don't know if that's your kitchen or not) Let me know and I'll go look at mine to see the difference between the two. Maybe I can be some help, 'cause that does seem really strange :lol: .

Yes -- as you face the side of the house where the back door is (which leads into the kitchen) -- the bay window on the left, on the second floor (exterior wall) was arched. And then there is a sort of frame-work about an inch in to the room (with slots in the floor where it fit?!) that has a large opening for the french doors, and two smaller openings on either side. I'm putting in a recessed wall back to the frame-work, installing working french doors into the opening, and using the doors that came with the kit for the side doors, one on each side, making them closets on each side.

Anyway -- on the pictures that were on the Garfield box, the opening is square. And on Garfields here, they're square..I think! Now I've gotten curious..I'll have to go back and check the pics here.

Anyway. I'm pretty sure my "bashing" will look fine...it just was odd...

Anyway -- on the pictures that were on the Garfield box, the opening is square. And on Garfields here, they're square..I think! Now I've gotten curious..I'll have to go back and check the pics here.

I know that confused me also. The picture on the box was different then the pieces in the kit. I did a little bashing also. On the inside I turned the left "closet door" even with the side wall, put a door on that and make the right opening into shelves.

Here is the picture of my french doors. Notice the arch on the outside but the inside door is square.

By the way I LOVE THE FLASHING! I wish I had thought of that!

I like what you've done to your windows! :lol:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused. I'm so new at this, I was sure I'd done something wrong. My french doors are going to be recessed into the room. I like the idea of the shelving...I still have time to modify mine..I'll think on that....

Beautiful! I didn't know what "flashing" was until I looked at your pictures. It really does add a very nice touch to the house.

Where do you get the copper strips and how do you install them?

I just looked at mine and it looks the same as yours and Irene's. So you didn't do anything wrong :lol: . (Excuse there being no doors I never attached them, I just set them in for now :lol: )

I really like the idea of putting shelves in instead of the closets, more room to display stuff :D .

Beautiful! I didn't know what "flashing" was until I looked at your pictures. It really does add a very nice touch to the house.

Where do you get the copper strips and how do you install them?

My husband is cutting the strips from a roll of copper sheeting, purchased at Menard's. He bought a box of the coil, 6" x 10 foot for $22. Any heavy-duty household scissors will cut it. Mark the line you want to bend it on. Clamp it between two pieces of hardwood, then start bending from the middle and work to either end. Use pliers to start, then tap with a hammer from the middle out to the edges. Use a short piece of pipe like a rolling pin to roll it smooth. Then tack it down with brass nails (and glue underneath.

A bit time-consuming...but less so than shingles. Have I mentioned how much I dislike putting on shingles? :lol:

Oh, I like that flashing. I may have to buy a Garfield just to do that.

Now I like that excuse.....sounds like a plan to me!

• 1 month later...