What tool do you use??

uppitycats

... to do things like widening doorways (when the house is already constructed, they're there, you want to widen them..)...

or to cut bigger windows, or new windows where they didn't exist before?

My husband says the "Dremel saw won't work..it's at the wrong angle to get in there.." I'm not a tool person, but from the picture I've seen, it SEEMS like it would work..

but I thought I'd ask the experts.. :lol:

I use the dremel to slightly enlarge door & window openings, areas that just need sanding to be a bit larger or rounded. But for new 'holes' I usually call in DH with his trusty sabre saw (which I'm not allowed to use -- power tool, y'know :lol: )

I would proabably use a rotary saw, if it would fit. There is a rotary saw attachment for the dremel.

We have the Dremel rotary tool (only about $15 or so) and used it to cut a hole in the kitchen wall after the house was built. I was afraid of it and made hubby help. It was very noisy and shook the house, but it got the job done very well. After a little sanding and perfecting the "hole" looks great.

pic of kitchen with new "hole" in the wall

For the Master bedroom, when I decided that I wanted to open up the room like almost everyone else had done witht e Garfield, the Dremel wouldn't have fit well enough so I used a combination of Xacto knife and mini hack saw. Very messy job and was hard to do with one person, but again, it got the job done! LOL

I just use my trusty old utility knife. I just widened a doorway in the kitchen of my Beacon Hill to make room for a swinging door. I think I posted pictures in my "conservatory blog". :lol:

when I cut the wall out of the bathroom in the Willowcrest I tried using the cutting tool on the dremel

did not work out very well

so I used the xacto. one slice at a time. it may have been a bit more time consuming but the cut was smoother than the dremel cut.

again this is one of those areas that it is all about what works for you and how comfortable you are with tools.

personal preferences.

next question :)

nutti :lol:

Oh darn...and I so wanted to play with my new Dremel! :lol: We did widen one door yesterday with the handtools. Took awhile, but worked. Guess that's what I'll do with the other one that needs a bit of work.

My husband says the "Dremel saw won't work..it's at the wrong angle to get in there.." I'm not a tool person, but from the picture I've seen, it SEEMS like it would work..

I don't know anything about the Dremel Saw.. but a regular dremel works great for this! In my Santa House I had the entire house fully constructed - the wall paper up and everything and only Then decided I needed to change the door - I used a dremel to completely recut the door frame to fit an upgraded preframed door. I've used it many times to recut windows. In the Community Orchid Blog if you look at the house I'm building you'll see that I recut ALL of the windows on that house. All except the front set of lower windows were done with the dremel and to be honest I wish I'd done them with the dremel too! I used a scroll saw on those and the vibrations from the saw gave me a lot of trouble with the die cut pieces I'd purposely left in falling out due to vibrations. I recut the big front octagonal window to raise it and added 2 more octagonal windows on each end of the house and cut all of them with the Dremel. It's a Wonderful tool for remodling houses. I've cut walls, door ways, windows, floors All with my dremel. You just need to use the right tip for each application.

Here's the interior of my santa house - that door way had to be fully recut to fit the new door - the dremel made it fast, easy and a perfect fit and remember the house was fully assembled when I recut it:

post-86-1155829261_thumb.jpg

-David

I decided to bash in a double door in the Pierce kitchen after the house was built which was a lesson learned in the value of pre-planning. :lol: I used the dremel wheel cutter for that. It was a trick but it worked well. Since then I've invested in a mini jigsaw with an adjustable angle shoe and just love it. It's perfect for cutting out doors and windows and the blades are so fine that it doesn't splinter the wood.

Deb

David, a dumb beginner question: what attachments (or blade or whatever you call it!) did you specifically use to widen the doors? Thanks!

Not a dumb beginner question at all - it was pretty dumb of me not to say what tip I used -Doh! I think I need more coffee. I used (like Deb said) the wheel cutter. There are a couple of types. There is what I think is called a ceramic blade - I really do need to research names of things :lol: anyway.. no wait - I'm gonna get photos since I can't remember names -

The large one is, I believe a fiberglass wheel cutter and the smaller one is I think called a ceramic wheel cutter - not because it cuts ceramic but because it's made of a ceramic composit material. The ceramic type cutters do tend to break really easily and you should always wear eye protection when using either of them but Especially important when useing the ceramic type. The other cutter (the bigger one - fiberglass) holds up really well and I almost exclusively use those with wood now. Here are 3 shots of them - front, back and from an angle so you can see how they look

post-86-1155847973_thumb.jpg post-86-1155848283_thumb.jpg post-86-1155848090_thumb.jpg

As you can see the shaft has a screw head on the end. You unscrew this, slide the screw into the hole in the center of the cutter and screw it back on to the shaft - which means it's really inexpensive to replace the blades :)

Hope this helps,

David :(

I just use my trusty old utility knife. I just widened a doorway in the kitchen of my Beacon Hill to make room for a swinging door. I think I posted pictures in my "conservatory blog". :lol:

I use my trusty ol' tool too--Jimmy ...

But if I have to cut something, I can only use a razor blade. It's the only thing I don't cut myself with.

I use my trusty ol' tool too--Jimmy ...

And from what you've said, that particular tool works reeeeeeally well and is self operating! The only problem is we can't get one at Home Depot. I asked. They said no. :lol:

Deb

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone. And David, thanks for the pics! I have those with my Dremel Stylus, wasn't sure how to use them, and your pictures helped a lot. I'll practice a bit and see how it goes.

Just spent a bit of time googling the mini hacksaw and jigsaw, too.... Lots of stuff to add to my shopping list! :lol:

And from what you've said, that particular tool works reeeeeeally well and is self operating! The only problem is we can't get one at Home Depot. I asked. They said no. ;)

Deb

LOL! And they probably wouldn't sell him to you here either because they make way too much money off of him ... plus he's sick right now so you probably don't want him anyhow.

I got a rotary saw (spiral saw) for just that sort of thing, it has a guide for easier control. Plus it was cheap, 20 bones on sale at Toys is Us, I mean Harbor Freight. I've burned out the motor on a variable speed rotary tool which cost about 3 times as much, this tool is like a Dremel on steroids, lots of steroids.

I've ordered a few tools from HBS, but didn't know what they were for ... they just looked interesting. I'm more a glue, paint, wallpaper person. Ray uses them though. Just today he told me that he really likes the Easy Cutter. Says it saves him a lot of time.

-Susanne

One hand tool for enlarging windows would be a "veneer saw" usually found in woodworking specialty stores....Rockler, Constantine's, and Garrett Wade

X-Acto used to make a saw blade to fit the #5 and #6 handle tha would be great . This is not the razor saw blade 34, 35 I dont remember the blade # may no longer be available either

Ed