Placement Of Furniture

Merry

(Edited to say that I added a picture a few replies down)

I have a beautiful red chinoiserie tall chest full of tiny drawers, etc.

The only places I have to put it are on are side walls. Being on a side wall you can't see the tiny drawers or pull them out. I hate that because it's too pretty to not be seen.

Any secrets out there as to this problem? :blink:

Should I buy another house just for this piece of furniture? :)

I try and put pretty pieces with drawers etc I want visible, catty corner if possible if there is no room agaisnt a back wall. That happens a lot especially if the front window is big and on the same wall as the door. I've put dressers with mirrors that way so they reflect a pretty bed. What house do you have the chest in?

Merry, Hard to visualize without a picture of the room. Could you put it in a corner in the back between two walls. Would be on an angle but the drawers would be seen. I sure wouldn't want that piece hidden. Or another house would solve the problem! Janet

Sometimes houses where things are not obvious but have to be sought out or are just glimpsed, are the most appealing. I have one of those chests too but its for my Rutland Grange (if I ever start on it) so I haven't used it yet. I'm building a Russian Lodge at the moment and have created a few peek throughs because the part of the building I'm working on is a single, quite boringly shaped room. I wish I could post some pics because in this house you have to really get down close to it to see everything and I absolutely LOVE that. I painted a blanket chest, filled it with linen and put a kitten dragging a shawl out of it but to see this you need to examine it closely, you would miss it at first glance or if you looked from one angle. I also made a cloakroom with all my cast-off dolls clothes (and I have quite a few "mistakes" ) hanging from a shelf with pegs, now this entire room is only visible through half opened doors - front and back - so you only get a glimpse of the stuff in there but its enough to be intriguing.

So maybe you don't have to have your collectors cabinet on full show. If the cabinet doors are open and even a couple of drawers open, it can stand against a side wall and the fact that people can't see everything straight away will make them want to peer in to see more. Worth thinking about.

I try and put pretty pieces with drawers etc I want visible, catty corner if possible if there is no room agaisnt a back wall. That happens a lot especially if the front window is big and on the same wall as the door. I've put dressers with mirrors that way so they reflect a pretty bed. What house do you have the chest in?

I only have one house. haha! It's in my Woodstock. I like the cady-corner idea. :blink:

Merry, Hard to visualize without a picture of the room. Could you put it in a corner in the back between two walls. Would be on an angle but the drawers would be seen. I sure wouldn't want that piece hidden. Or another house would solve the problem! Janet

I've posted a picture above this reply hoping it may help to see what I'm talking about. :)

Sometimes houses where things are not obvious but have to be sought out or are just glimpsed, are the most appealing. I have one of those chests too but its for my Rutland Grange (if I ever start on it) so I haven't used it yet. I'm building a Russian Lodge at the moment and have created a few peek throughs because the part of the building I'm working on is a single, quite boringly shaped room. I wish I could post some pics because in this house you have to really get down close to it to see everything and I absolutely LOVE that. I painted a blanket chest, filled it with linen and put a kitten dragging a shawl out of it but to see this you need to examine it closely, you would miss it at first glance or if you looked from one angle. I also made a cloakroom with all my cast-off dolls clothes (and I have quite a few "mistakes" ) hanging from a shelf with pegs, now this entire room is only visible through half opened doors - front and back - so you only get a glimpse of the stuff in there but its enough to be intriguing.

So maybe you don't have to have your collectors cabinet on full show. If the cabinet doors are open and even a couple of drawers open, it can stand against a side wall and the fact that people can't see everything straight away will make them want to peer in to see more. Worth thinking about.

I understand what you're saying. If I knew more about bashing a house when I started this house, I would have put in more nooks and crannies. :p

The way you have it catty-corner in the picture could work, if you don't mind the fact that it covers a portion of your beautiful curtains. It will be visible there, but you'll need to add your stair railings to see if they take away any visibility. The room looks goregeous, btw.

The way you have it catty-corner in the picture could work, if you don't mind the fact that it covers a portion of your beautiful curtains. It will be visible there, but you'll need to add your stair railings to see if they take away any visibility. The room looks goregeous, btw.

I've been putting off the stairs, and they're almost the only thing I have left to do.

I don't mind part of the curtains not being visible, but I hadn't thought about the stairs.

The worst thing that can happen is that I leave the chest there, and then move it to another house something.

Thank you for the compliment!! :blink:

Okay, remember this hallway is not finished yet! haha!

I put the cabinet cady-corner. What to you all think?

Mary, your work is beautiful. So detailed. Putting the chest kiddi-corner bothers my eye, but that's me. I would place it there if the walls were plain. I love the detail of your window which might be lost especially when the stairway is completed. (You'll find the answer. I remember your beautiful bed! Janet

I think I'll have to play around with my furniture....all that have been stored away in boxes!

I figure it out, but I do believe I made a mistake in pasting the pictures up too soon. If I tried to take them off, the wallpaper will come off. They're all an oriental theme, but they can be used without an oriental piece by them.

I need to stop and think before I do something for crying out loud! :wave:

Which way will your stairs go? If the first step is at the far end of the opening and the railing will be at the near end, I'd check to see if the cabinet would fit on the side wall against the railing. Even though it would be on a side wall, it would be near enough to the viewer to appreciate the little drawers and lovely detailing. And it won't be so bulky as to block views of the interior of the room.

Which way will your stairs go? If the first step is at the far end of the opening and the railing will be at the near end, I'd check to see if the cabinet would fit on the side wall against the railing. Even though it would be on a side wall, it would be near enough to the viewer to appreciate the little drawers and lovely detailing. And it won't be so bulky as to block views of the interior of the room.

Hi Kathie, Thank you for your reply.

The stairs will be going the opposite way than what you have described. B)

If I had the house to do over, I would have put the doors on the far end, and have more wall to work with towards the front end.

This piece does not have to go here. I'll figure out another place or use it in the Worthington if I win the lottery. :wave:

Mary, one idea I have found useful is to invest in a packet of poster putty and temporarily put stuff together with it to see how you & the house like it. This can be in addition to the dry fit, or afterwards.

In another house, I have added sheer curtains and set my piece (it was a tv) centered in the window. That way I didn't have to see the back of the tv from the outside. I didn't have awesome curtains to cover up - so maybe if it is center, you can get both the details of the cabinet and the curtains. Providing the stairs doesn't block the view

Mary, one idea I have found useful is to invest in a packet of poster putty and temporarily put stuff together with it to see how you & the house like it. This can be in addition to the dry fit, or afterwards.

That's a great idea, Holly! I will definitely do that as I finish my house and before I permanently glue any more pictures up on the wall! B)

That's a great idea

I've never thought of a roombox, but it is indeed a great idea!

In another house, I have added sheer curtains and set my piece (it was a tv) centered in the window. That way I didn't have to see the back of the tv from the outside. I didn't have awesome curtains to cover up - so maybe if it is center, you can get both the details of the cabinet and the curtains. Providing the stairs doesn't block the view

Another great idea! Thank you, Audra! :wave:

I have come up with a plan! And it has nothing to do with the chest! I really think it's going to look delightful, and I'll show everyone as soon as I get it together! B)