Roof Cap for my Garfield

madtex1967

Hi Everyone,

I have finally started working more regular on my Garfield and am adding a roof cap to the bay windows and roof line. The pictures below is the bay window in the upstairs hall and bedroom balcony. The picket (1/2" scale laser cut fence) will be painted black when finished. I am using the 1" scale fence for the roof top.

Here is the dilemma: The channel molding that holds the fence does not sit completely flat to the roof ridge. I have trim strips to cover the gaps. Should I paint them black as the channel molding and fence or leave them natural to blend with the shingles? The shingles are unstained and aging naturally. I would be afraid to stain them at this point as to any glue that I got on the outer sides would not take the stain.

Any thoughts and Advice?

Thanks!

Matt

Matt, I'd take a photo of that fencing, then take it into photoshop and paint it black, to see how it looks. That's the only way I can ever figure out what looks best.

I've got a black and white drawing mocked up, of my East Side Town House ( I used the coloring book feature that comes with a camera interface)..and so I was able to 'try on' different color combinations to see how they looked. Worked for me, should work for you too?

Everything is looking wonderful, btw. You're doing a stupendous job!

J

Matt, it's GORGEOUS! I think that if the trim is part of the channel molding it ought to be whatever color you decide looks best for the roofcaps. Where did you find the fencing? It's really perfect for the Garfield!

I think I'd favor painting the trim strips black. Do you have enough strips to do one set of fencing with black strips to see what it looks like and still have enough left to do all if the black doesn't suit?

Matt, I'd take a photo of that fencing, then take it into photoshop and paint it black, to see how it looks. That's the only way I can ever figure out what looks best.

I've got a black and white drawing mocked up, of my East Side Town House ( I used the coloring book feature that comes with a camera interface)..and so I was able to 'try on' different color combinations to see how they looked. Worked for me, should work for you too?

Everything is looking wonderful, btw. You're doing a stupendous job!

J

That is a great idea! Thanks, I might try that.

Matt, it's GORGEOUS! I think that if the trim is part of the channel molding it ought to be whatever color you decide looks best for the roofcaps. Where did you find the fencing? It's really perfect for the Garfield!

Thank you for the compliment. :) I will get more pictures posted once I get a few more things completed. I found the 1/2" scale fencing on eBay, Victorian Doll House Wood Works, and the matching 1" scale from Wood Victorian Dollhouse (it was a little cheaper).

I think I'd favor painting the trim strips black. Do you have enough strips to do one set of fencing with black strips to see what it looks like and still have enough left to do all if the black doesn't suit?

That is the way I am leaning. I am thinking of painting a scrap strip and see how it looks to help me decide.

Your Garfield is Outstanding!!!! I love it!! I too think it would look great painted black. Thanks for sharing your talent.

Thanks! I am humbled by the compliments on it. When I see some of the great work on this site, I feel I need to work harder at my houses. :)

Like you I have been working on my Garfield a lot more (because I'm on break from school). I just got a bunch of lights in the mail for christmas and I'm hard wiring everything instead. I won't post pics though till I have it almost done hah! Your Garfield looks great! You do a LOT of detailed work! Keep it up! And as for the advice on your cap-I have none, sorry lol!

Your Garfield looks great! You do a LOT of detailed work! Keep it up! And as for the advice on your cap-I have none, sorry lol!

AGREED...LOVE this GF!!! Love the color combinations...I think that it should be black too...but maybe a lighter black, not like a deep vampire black...maybe if you blend in some brown color it would make it blend a bit better...???

:) Love your Garfield!!! And I am totally green over that fencing, now my Mz Chantilly won't rest until she gets something very similar for her widow walk >sigh< as we have been discussing that area for ages LOL

I too think a dark colour would suit purr-fectly :blink:

Hugs and looking forward to seeing more eye candy!!!