Grout as stucco?

hollyclyff

Has anyone tried using tile grout as stucco on a dollhouse? I ask because I have plenty of both sanded and nonsanded grout already. Anything else I've read about using, I would have to buy. I've never done stucco before. My other houses have clapboard, but I want to do something different with the Buttercup I'm working on now.

I haven't tried it though it sounds like a great idea - Do you have any scrap pieces of wood that you could do a test on? That's my only thought here sorry :) When I used the store bought "stucco" I had to use a paint sponge to get teh right texture even though it was already supposed to e stucco texture - I laid it flat after I applied the stucco and then lifted it off gently and it did give it a decent texture... I'm wondering if that would help with the grout , again I don't know but I do hope you try it out and let use know :D

-David

I have not used it but a friend of mine said it made her house to heavy. I don't know though because I personally have never used it.

What about some of the texture sprays they have out there? Also, what about using joint compound? I think Marg used that on her cantebury.

I have not used it but a friend of mine said it made her house to heavy. I don't know though because I personally have never used it.

What about some of the texture sprays they have out there? Also, what about using joint compound? I think Marg used that on her cantebury.

Y'know, maybe I'm totally off base, but isn't tile grout like cement? If it is, it certainly would add some considerable weight to a house :D .

My "stucco" of choice is spackling compound/ polyfilla (how can you not love to use something with a name like that?) and I texture it with a corner of an old credit card (It's what I use mine for,lol). Tracy, didn't someone on Small Stuff use grout for stucco? I agree about the weight. I tink I'd use the grout for pavers for a garden walk or flower borders, or to simulate flagstones on a ground floor, but the weight would be quite a factor.

Heidi, you might slather glue all over your ceiling and put styrofoam into a paper bag and crumble it up fairly fine and dump it into the wet glue. Paint it when it's totally dry with a water-based paint and you should have a very lightweight "popcorn" ceiling.

Ah, see I hadn't thought of the weight issue. That's why I asked you guys! I guess I need to go buy some spackling compound. I've used it before for ceilings, but I was out of it and I saw that grout just sitting there and thought maybe it would work.

I am going to give it a try in a corner of a room with the drywall compound and see if i can get the pointiness of the kind of ceiling that I want. If it doesnt work, I will go with the styrofoam idea.

Thankies!

I am going to give it a try in a corner of a room with the drywall compound and see if i can get the pointiness of the kind of ceiling that I want. If it doesnt work, I will go with the styrofoam idea.

Thankies!

Heidi, I texture all my ceilings. I put on a thin layer of drywall mudd and use a slighly damp sponge and dab away. It gives a realistic look to your ceiling IMHO. Then after it's dry about a day or so later i come back with the white paint and dab my sponge brush over the entire ceiling, ultimately giving it two layers of paint. If you brush on the paint, it doesn't look as nice. The first layer of paint is somewhat soaked up by the drywall mudd, so a second coat is necessary. Looks great in the end!