Estate Sales

Brezavaqt

Okay...how does one go about finding an estate sale where there are minis being sold? I keep hearing about them and all the goodies that are acquired. But, can someone please share with me how you go about finding them? Is there a section in the newspaper? Is there an underground network that tells about them?

I see Estate sales all the time on Craigslist. They come up in my "dollhouse" search when they have, well, dollhouses. If you searched "miniature" you may come up with more.

Other than that, I don't know. I do see signs around like for yard sales, but wouldn't know what they had without going.

Good luck!

I've been lucky so far, and here's how I find them. I go on searchtempest, craigslist, local newspaper sites and auction sites, I do searches on all of them for dollhouse, doll house, (you'd be suprised how many people spell it as 2 words), miniatures and minis. Also, whenever I go to any garage or estate sale, I ask if they have any dollhouse items, even if there isn't any out or listed in the ad. Especially if it's an estate sale, some people don't realize their family member's "little hobby" would appeal to anyone else. It never hurts to ask. I also always ask if they have the Hallmark Christmas cookie oven and fridge. I can't afford them on ebay and ornament sites, but I may find one cheap at a sale. So far, only one lady had them, and she wouldn't even consider selling them to me, lol.

I do searches on all of them for dollhouse, doll house, (you'd be suprised how many people spell it as 2 words), miniatures and minis.

Yep, also do searches for "dollhouses" and "doll houses". Those don't come up on a plain "dollhouse" or "doll house" search, and sometimes people have more than one!

My friends and colleagues know about my building dollhouses and they keep an eye out when they go to garage, estate, etc. sales. One friend of mine dug out a Bobbie dollhouse from her basement for me to do. (I didn't know the name of it, but Alamom knew what it was - it's like a GL Haunted House.) I'm doing that one right after I finish the Bayberry Cottage (which is so CLOSE to being done, I can't wait!)

On Craigslist I use dollhouse; dollhouses, dollshouse, doll house and dolls house. They all seem to come up with different stuff, but not the houses I'm looking for. A lot of Fisher Price, Dora, Little Tykes, etc.

Kirsten

Watch your newspapers, local, and nearby cities..usually an estate sale will have some of the items listed, to draw in customers. Sometimes you'll get lucky and a dollhouse will be mentioned..especially if it's a big one. If not, you might call the manager of the Estate sale and ask if there's a doll house in the list.

Yeah, I put the words doll and house in several combinations too. So far tho, it's been all Barbie, Tykes, etc..nothing as grand as my Mystic Moggie. My idea of heaven would be to have a RGT East Side Townhouse pop up at an estate sale, or Craigslist. Other than that, I think I won't grab up any more houses for a long while. I have my hands full with the Chantilly and Mystic Moggie!

"bear:

Bre thats how I see them too I type in Dollhouse Doll house Miniatures into Craigslist and sometimes I get yard or garage or estate sales that have these items but alot times it plastic houses the little pink ones i seem to always get those lol :)

Thanks, Jenni, for that link! How cool! I'm too chicken to go to an Estate Sale though, seems too stressful and overwhelming.

But, there was a listing in my area that advertised 3 custom dollhouses. Even though I don't have any money right now, my interest was still piqued, and the CL listing only showed 4 pictures, of course none of the dollhouses. This link had lots and lots more pictures, including a "street" of houses. One house I did not recognize, priced at $600. Not very big or fancy, but had lots of stuff. The 2nd was a Tennyson, also with lots of stuff and for $600. The last was an Arthur, but it's price was cut off. And now I know!

I also read very carefully through the craft items on Craigslist. I have found some great buys on there for paint, lace, beads. scrap booking paper, I bought a whole box full of crafting items for 5 dollars that had at least 30 dollars worth of lace in it.