Starting to look like a hacienda!

Sherry

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For turquoise, why not try acrylic paint? Mix it thick, let it dry, and then cut it to the shapes you want. Using a glass surface works well for this. I guess you could use polymer too.

I wonder if you could use the covering from those fake mice used as cat toys? The ones with real fur? You might have to trim up the fur a little but it might work.

Wallpapering is no fun. Minis are fun. Do minis.

What is the difference between joint compound and spackle?

Joint compound (aka wallboard mud) is a little thinner, used to cover the paper thickness of the paper tape that covers the joints in wallboard construction. It can be feathered out with a putty knife or other thin blade and then sanded smooth to blend with the wallboard.

Spackle is a little thicker, used to fill in small holes and gaps. Sometimes mesh is used to cover the gap and the spackle is applied on top of it. It, too, can be sanded smooth when dry.

For the size holes and textures we work with in miniature, either one can be used successfully. Joint compound can be cheaper than Spackle, but a small tub of Spackle goes a long way.

The biggest difference, Roxxie, is that joint compound spreads like whipped butter. Spackle is stiffer and good for filling large gaps or holes in the wall. But for a smooth surface that doesn't need a lot of sanding, you can't beat the joint compound. When it's dry, you take a just damp sponge and wipe down any little rough spots in the surface. I used spackle to build up the walls of this project, but joint compound for the final layer before the stucco.

For turquoise, why not try acrylic paint? Mix it thick, let it dry, and then cut it to the shapes you want. Using a glass surface works well for this. I guess you could use polymer too.

I wonder if you could use the covering from those fake mice used as cat toys? The ones with real fur? You might have to trim up the fur a little but it might work.

Wallpapering is no fun. Minis are fun. Do minis.

Acrylic paints might work if I could mix the right colors in the right way. The matrix in turquoise is what makes it so pretty and that would be hard to replicate. Gonna try the hammer and bag thing first!

We went over to see Roy and Darlene last night, and I got my bed! but he had a surprise for me. He made one with the curlicues on top, and another without, so I now have two wonderful beds! I think I'll use the plain one for the trading post and save the fancy one for my old hotel I will make out of the Franklin. And one tumbleweed, he's going to make a couple more so I can have a pile of them against the wall.

Please say an extra prayer for him, he is going back in the hospital again on Tuesday. He's been in A-fib for months now, so they want to try and 'reset' his heart and then maybe try and get to that clot. It would be so wonderful if they could take care of that!

Roy is doing just fine better than before!

While out riding around, I found this old adobe house. You can't see them all, but look at the vigas...they aren't all lined up perfectly, either! I feel better about my wonky ones, now!

gallery_3692_4284_650456.jpg

...While out riding around, I found this old adobe house. You can't see them all, but look at the vigas...they aren't all lined up perfectly, either! I feel better about my wonky ones, now!

gallery_3692_4284_650456.jpg

Thank you for this picture! Now I feel better about mine, too!

Roxxie, those are the ceiling beams, as Holly said. On top of those but perpendicular to them, are the latillas, small straight sticks packed closely together...that's where the style of wooden ceilings in contemporary adobe houses come from, as the latillas are so close together that they look like paneling almost. On top of that could be dirt, sod, hay, whatever they had handy, sometimes a layer of adobe on top of that. Of course now, the vigas are decorative and the roof is built like any flat roof with moisture barrier, tar paper, gravel, etc.

Stuff I brought back from New Mexico for the trading post. furs are elk, muskrat, gray fox, deer, and rabbit. Two large pots about 40 years old, some little pottery beads for more pots, 2 spines I'll use for something, and a stop sign I will probably never use but had to have! I also have a snow onyx bear fetish I forgot to put in the picture in addition to the lizard fetish with the turquoise eyes. Gonna try decorating kachina dolls with the tips of the furs and shave them down for rugs. No idea what to do with the two spines, but thought they were cool! The owner of the pottery/jewelry shop gave me the package of turquoise beads for 'just in case'. She was all excited about the dollhouse and thought I might could use the beads, too!

gallery_3692_4284_51597.jpg

I will, if I can! this house is going to be really special because of the things in it that people have made for, or given to me, for it, and the things I have bought on trips over the years, that will fit in it. It may turn out to be my new favorite...if I don't get frustrated and kill it first!

Sherry, where is your hacienda going to be located? I have a couple things I came across at a yard sale that made me think of you and I grabbed them: tiny red chili pin and a NM flag pin. I love the stuff you picked up!

• 2 weeks later...

After two weeks of just looking at the TP as I walk by, I've gotten some work done this weekend. Got the kitchen furnishings in, but still waiting on some accessories I ordered, like a pump handle for the sink, iron skillets, etc. Got one area of the store interior stuccoed, as well as the bedroom. Made shelves for the store, and 'dressed' one of Roy's iron beds for the bedroom...if you can call grubby sheet and pillows covered with a horse blanket 'dressing'!