guilty feelings...

Sigh... I really thought I wanted the Victoria's Farmhouse, and my family went out and got me the kit "special" for my birthday 2 years ago. Really thoughtful of them. And its a pretty house...

But it is still only half built, sitting in the garage...

For one, I think MDF and I don't get along well- I just can't seem to handle processed wood. OSB gives me contact dermatitis, and MDF in enclosed spaces makes me lightheaded and dizzy. I can paint over it, but I don't think it will stay painted over (at least not in my house lol) I have primed it twice (it just soaked the primer up and asked for more) and then painted, but I'm wondering how covered up the mdf will stay or if it will become a problem over time. At this point, I'm considering doing a quick finish up (someone else finishing the painting) and selling or donating it to somewhere. I just feel really really guilty about it since it was my special birthday present!!! Ugh, rock and a hard place!!! Maybe if I finish it up and donate it next spring to the kids' elementary school fundraiser silent auction that would be ok.

Any thoughts?? Helpful ideas?

I'm not fond of MDF either. It's just so hard to work with. I think you already have it figured out (donating it for the silent auction). I know your family will understand when you explain to them that the wood was just not "friendly" and the house wasn't what you thought it would be to build. Plus, if you donate it and the school makes a nice piece of change off of it, it'll be a win/win!

Not sure where you are Wendy, but I would take it off your hands in a heart beat! I love MDF and hate sanding and filling plywood with a passion! Try listing it on Craigslist and see if someone in your area is a RGT lover. Maybe they can finish it so that it shines. I always hate to see a dollhouse (any dollhouse!) finished half heartedly but prefer when someone who loves it does what they can to make it the best it can be!! As for MDF holding paint over time, I've never needed more than two coats (it does seem to "drink" in the first however). Good luck!

I have a couple MDF houses. They do take a lot of paint on the milled surfaces and stairs. etc. The walls seem to be better and don't absorb as much. I think if you painted all the surfaces it would seal it so the MDF wouldn't be a problem with allergy. To me, the worst part of MDF is the weight. I donated my Victoria's Farmhouse because I could not lift it. Working on such a heavy house is hard too. You can't just flip it over to do the ceilings. Houses of 3/8 plywood are heavy too but not as much as the MDF.

i have worked with mdf for projects other than dollhouses. other than the dust, it's been good to work with. it doesn't warp, it's strong, but, it does soak up the paint. here's what i found, you have to use a good sealer/primer. kilz is about the best product for this. i like the oil base myself, but the smell is really bad, so i think the water base is probably the best. if you use this product, be aware, that even if it doesn't look like it covered very well, it probably did it's job, by sealing the surface.

dave

Thanks for the comments and advice everyone! I did use Kilz for the primer- its a great priming paint. Didn't use the oil variety due to smell/fumes, but the water based seemed to work well. I had learned that I had to use it when I first started painting the house last year and it took 3 coats of regular paint before it stopped soaking in. Kilz only took 1 or 2 coats which was much better.

Almost all the interior and exterior surfaces are sealed BUT I didn't seal the roof before gluing the shingles on... And there's no way I could take them off without raising mdf dust (used glue gun for shingles). I suppose I could try slathering it in polyurethane, but I don't know how much I trust that I'd have it totally covered.

The underside isn't sealed, but I don't know how much of an issue that would be. Can't imagine it would be that big of a problem.

It is a pain that its really heavy- theres absolutely no way I could ever lift it, even without my shoulder bursitis. Planned on having hubby carry it into the house, and putting it on a base turntable (gotta be some affordable ones out there for 400lb objects, right?? :pcwhack: )

I made a mdf house for my niece and they are heavy!! I think if you could finish it somehow or find someone to finish it off donating it would be a great idea!!

It's always good to give!

A childrens hospital raffle? A raffle might generate more money than trying to sell it and it would help out a local charity or school etc.

I sealed my house and the roof. I now seal the roofs and then paint them black so you dont see white underneath if there are any spots. I also do this with the floors.

The Kilz paint is really good. I found that it even helps cover grain in walls of the GL houses much better than regular paint when you decide to paint instead of paper a room. It costs a little more but does a good job with just two coats. You can still sometimes see the grain a little but not enough to show when it's all furnished.

Going to get some help sealing the living blazes out of it and see how that goes. If its a "no" then off to a good charity cause it goes, raffles or silent auction or some such.

If it does totally seal up, then we'll see about getting it into the house and up a flight of stairs that go around a tight corner. (being carried by a man whose motto is "I can do it myself. I don't need any help from anyone." So, how much does life insurance pay on someone who gets squished under a dollhouse? :pcwhack:

• 3 weeks later...

The last Creatin' Contest I entered for HBS was that five-sided MDF roombox that I turned into an atrium for DS and it convinced me I really do despise MDF. That said, I primed it (one coat) and painted it (two coats) and it stayed painted.

I've never worked with MDF, but I have heard horror stories.

There have been several times that I simply called Real Good Toys and asked them any answers to my questions, and they've always been very helpful.

If you have changed your mind about the house itself, whether MDF or plywood, you could do a basic outer finish and then sell it. A gift is a gift. It's yours to do with whatever you wish.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont like MDF... and I think it is because it is heavy and I cannot make it look like wood. I LOVE a wood floor.

I built the Shendoah, Victorias Farmhouse and currently Rehabbing the Alison Jr.

all are MDF.!!

I hated the Shenandoah because I could not make the wood logs look like wood.!! I wanted to stain this but I had to paint it brown.!

Victorias Farmhouse is just heavy otherwise I loved it.!!

and the Alison jr... it is the floors, I dont like the floors.!!!

kellee