Dollhouse pool

adraria

Mine was just painted with cork pieces around the edge for pavers. A lot of the Barbie pools are on the small side for there scale so might do well for a big 1/12th scale pool. What I found helped with the painted pool was pearlized craft paint, it gave some depth to the water and made it a little more realistic.

I have always wanted to make a pool. I figured I would get a thick piece of Styrofoam, and carve out the pool, making shallow and deep ends of course. I would put the pool in a corner of the Styrofoam sheet, and use the rest for a yard for the house to sit on. I have used this technique for ponds. If you wanted a rectangular pool, I'd start looking at baking pans in dollar stores :-)

-Sarah

Edited by dainagon

Above or below ground and with real or imagined water? Water effect can be made with resin, you could use pearlised paint underneath it to create depth. A below ground pool wouldn't need to be that deep, just have the depth effect with paint, with a thinner layer of resin over the top, and then some stones around the edge.

Thanks for all the replies i will definitely see what i can figure out

I am sure she would want it to have real water but i dont think i would be able to handle seeing real water that close to the house i spent so much time building for her so fake water it will be. I had already planned to have a pond in the yard but she wants both the pond and pool so i am thinking maybe make an inground pool which would be sunk into a patio/deck.

I am trying to imagine a way that i could make to pool look like it is filled with water but still allow the dolls to pretend to be in it to swim any ideas?

Maybe a clear plastic cover cut to fit that she could remove when the dolls wanted to take a dip?

And be sure and tell her that she can't put real water in it! :chat:

That's a great idea

I think I will try to make it have walls on the inside that look like water with an empty center so the dolls can play in it and a cover that can be removed that looks like the surface of a pool

I don't know how to accomplish this yet but that's ok I have time the house is not finished yet and I have not even begun to think about putting the landscaping together yet so this project will be a while before started

But any ideas are welcome for sure!

you can always use a piece of blue plexi for thr top that can be removed

That's a great idea

I think I will try to make it have walls on the inside that look like water with an empty center so the dolls can play in it and a cover that can be removed that looks like the surface of a pool

I don't know how to accomplish this yet but that's ok I have time the house is not finished yet and I have not even begun to think about putting the landscaping together yet so this project will be a while before started

But any ideas are welcome for sure!

I just went to the pet store and saw a neat idea for a pool. THey have little pools that looklike ponds for reptiles and other semi-aquatic animals. THe one I saw was bean shaped and had steps at one end. It would make a really cool inground pool.

Sara,

You read my mind! :) I would start with non-condensed styrofoam, carve out the pool shape, only shallower, and add a layer of spackle. Sand to a smooth surface, airbrush a light blue to medium blue fade (for the deep end) and add resin. I always use at least 3/8" styrofoam for my yards, so I would only have to make it an extra layer or two thicker for a pool.

I thought of resin, but would it eat the styrofoam? Or would the spackle protect it? I have used clear caulking for water on styrofoam, but it would take forever to fill a pool with it. Now I wanna start fiddling around with stuff and seeing what works! :-)

-Sarah

I thought of resin, but would it eat the styrofoam? Or would the spackle protect it? I have used clear caulking for water on styrofoam, but it would take forever to fill a pool with it. Now I wanna start fiddling around with stuff and seeing what works! :-)

-Sarah

I wouldn't use resin (it requires a very toxic, corrosive catalyst) but 2 part epoxy would work perfectly. It won't dissolve the styrofoam, but you do have to mix it thoroughly before pouring it.