What's your favorite Mini?

hydroped

Question number 2 -

What is your most favorite or prized miniature and why? Is it a house or one of the items in your house?

My very favorite miniature is my paperclay horned toad made by Tori West IGMA Artisan. It's the first miniature I actually paid good money for heheh (ie didnt' make myself, or find at a yard sale), but that's not the reason it's my favorite. It's my favorite because as a kid I loved "horney toads" (that's what we called them). Every summer I'd catch one or two, put them in a shoe box with some ants to watch them eat for an hour or so before turning them loose again. They just fascinated me and I was so shocked to see someone making these in Scale miniature! I didn't think anyone but me would want something like that. It sure brought back lots of happy summer hours. :D And I'm still considering getting a second - just so the first won't be lonely lol B)

-David

I have lots of minis that I'm very fond of, but I guess the ones I cherish most are the ones my great-uncle made for me before he passed away. I have a couple of blanket chests, a mirror in a wooden frame, an end table, and a set of shelves that he made. He also made me a cedar chest that I really like (it's mini, but not dollhouse size - about 5" x 3").

No fair David! You know I cannot pick one! My THREE favorites are my Victorian Townhouse, my Tennyson and my Van Buren and its gazebo. Those three will never leave me, but if I had to choose out of all three, under desperate measures, stress, duress and a gun to my head, it would be the Van Buren.

my favorite!

well the Granville dollhouse will always be in my home it is sooo special to me.

LindaC won the first one I saw on e-bay :D

but when I mentioned it to a very dear internet mini friend that I really loved the look of that house ...she told me she had one sitting in her garage for the last few yrs gathering dust.....that incredibly sweet woman took that house apart carefully and sent it to me. everytime I look at that house I feel so incredibly lucky to know such wonderful people as my friends.

nutti B)

Since most of my stuff is still packed and most is new and I haven't decorated or finished my house I guess my favorite is the miniature boston terrier I purchased. It looks just like our dog, George.

But if I ever finish building and finally decorate I may change my mind.

Peggi

Hi and thanks to everyone who answered so far - I just loving hearing stories about people's miniatures. What a great passion to share!

Linda- You said 3! I count 4 with that Gazeebo :p j/k ;) heheh - but who can blame you sometimes it's rough to pick a very favorite when you love them all! :D <hugs>

Calamari - Once I asked if that thrill of making mini's ever goes away and the answer I got was - every time you start a new project it happens all over again! And they were right! I get so excited when I try a new project and it actually works! :D I don't think making mini's could ever become old when there's so much to be excited about trying and doing.

Shutterbug - that hummingbird feeder sounds wonderful! Would love to see a picture of it. :)

Tracy - I could bug you for an hour with questions bout Rik Pierces class! I definitely want to take on with him someday - someday as in it probably will never happy but oh boy do I wish it would! How did you like his class? Did you learn alot? You're houses were already gorgeous! It sure sounds like it must have been a fun class!!

CatColorado - Wow Sue Atkinson - I have a couple of her books. You need to put pictures of them in you Webshots so the rest of us can drool over them :D I would love to see her work in 1/2" scale

Peggy - that's so cool you found a mini dog that looks just like yours. Ours is a mixed "mutt" from the humane shelter so I had to find a dog that just 'sort of' resembles him and I'm trying to put hair on the figure... oy What was I thinking! I know it can be done, I've seen it done.. but how it's done? I have no idea ;)

Molmrath - it's so special when someone you love makes something just for you. My best friend growing up had a dollhouse that her grandfather made for her - when she got married they moved into a very tiny house and didn't have room to take the rather large dollhouse - so eventually she gave it to her sister thinking it would be safe and loved and in the family - well her sister went and sold it! Fortunately she had the original plans that he made the dollhouse from and because of her limmited space I'm going to try to reproduce it 1/2 inch or maybe 1/4 inch scale for her - I hope it works, she really loved that house.

Nutti - there's no getting around it - the Granville is a Beautiful dollhouse!! I think if I had that it might be my favorite too.

Marie - Bespaq, Bespaq, Bespaq - the only problem I have with Bespaq is they don't make furniature I can afford! :lol: But I keep eyeing it! - it's on my someday list along with a class by Rik Pierce ;) And if anyone hasn't seen the Lawyers cabinet - it is stunning!

- David

How did you like his class? Did you learn alot? You're houses were already gorgeous! It sure sounds like it must have been a fun class!!

I LOVE his classes! He is so patient and down to earth and his wife Leni is a REAL sweetheart too. I noticed in going to shows that some artesians are well, snobs! These two talk to EVEYONE at there table and Rik never make you feel stupid for asking a question in class or out.

I learn how to do shingles with paperclay and I will do this to the Glencroft I am working on now. I am saving right now for his class next year though I have NO idea what it is or how much it will cost. I know soon I will not be able to take his classes because they go up in cost every year.

Save NOW David!! It would be fun to meet you in person! Chicago is a Great place to visit too and the Bishop Shows are right across the street from Woodfield Mall and IKEA.

;) :D

Molmrath - it's so special when someone you love makes something just for you. My best friend growing up had a dollhouse that her grandfather made for her - when she got married they moved into a very tiny house and didn't have room to take the rather large dollhouse - so eventually she gave it to her sister thinking it would be safe and loved and in the family - well her sister went and sold it!  Fortunately she had the original plans that he made the dollhouse from and because of her limmited space I'm going to try to reproduce it 1/2 inch or maybe 1/4 inch scale for her - I hope it works, she really loved that house.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh my gosh! I would have been so peeved. Some people just don't seem to understand the value of an heirloom like that. :D I hope your smaller scale reproduction works out. That is a really nice thing for you to do for her.

CatColorado - Wow Sue Atkinson - I have a couple of her books. You need to put pictures of them in you Webshots so the rest of us can drool over them  I would love to see her work in 1/2" scale

I'll try and get some pics of the dolls up. They fidget so much that the pictures always turn out blurry!

Okay, they're up. Look at the bottom of the PAGE

My favorite is one that I made myself for my daughter. It's a replica of the Mattel 'Blaze' ride-on horse from the sixties. The real one is in my daugter's room - it was my pride and joy as a child. She's really too old for it, but I don't have anywhere else safe to store it. I made the miniature from a Breyer stablemate that I heated and bent and remolded and then repainted and added the stand, etc. It's in the playroom of my daughter's Bellingham.

I have 2 miniature favorites,first is my Beacon Hill and the second is a dining room cabinet with Reutter Porzellian dishes. My son and Boyfriend bought me the Beacon Hill for Christmas about 12 years ago, and when my BF was very ill and going through Chemo and radiation he went out and bought them for me for another Christmas. I could never part with either of them.

terri

I LOVE his classes! He is so patient and down to earth and his wife Leni is a REAL sweetheart too. I noticed in going to shows that some artesians are well, snobs! These two talk to EVEYONE at there table and Rik never make you feel stupid for asking a question in class or out.

I learn how to do shingles with paperclay and I will do this to the Glencroft I am working on now. I am saving right now for his class next year though  I have NO idea what it is or how much it will cost. I know soon I will not be able to take his classes because they go up in cost every year.

Save NOW David!! It would be fun to meet you in person! Chicago is a Great place to visit too and the Bishop Shows are right across the street from Woodfield Mall and IKEA.

;) :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well now Tracy, if you tell me when, where and how much, I might start saving now and just pop up in Chicago while you're there and attend a class with you! Don't think I won't now. Bet Dean thought I wouldn't either, LOL!

Hello David,

That's a tough question but I think my favorite Minis are my brass / iron bed by Reutter and a chest with an "Alfons Mucha" theme on it. I bought the chest on a school trip to Prague.

Tracy,

Would it be rude to ask how much Rik's class cost this year? So have some idea of how much I'd need to get saved up! What fun it would be to meet in Chicago! I've never been on an airplane but hey if I have to fly I might as well fly somewhere fun right? :D

Catcolorado - those dolls are Beautiful! I've tried doing faces that small but I don't think I could ever get them that delicate. Thank you thank you for sharing photos!!

Hollyclyff - I think I remember Blaze - was he one of the horses for the 12" coyboy set that included Geronimo, the Wests? I had one as a kid I was very fond of from that set, black with a white blaze on it's forehead - boy does that bring back memories! If it's the same set did you know they've come out with some of them again - from the same molds?

Terri (aka Smallhouset) - what a very special story behind those miniatures. I can see why those would be your very favorites!

Wendy and Anne - those sound like great items! I feel so unknowledgable about some of the minis out there but they sound lovely!!!

-David

Sorry for my slow response Linda & David!

I am not sure how much it will cost this year and I am not sure what he will do this year. This years class was $520 (The first class I took was $395). I am hoping that it won't be too big of a price jump but as I said I am saving now. I plan on being at the Chicago Fall Tom Bishop show in September to pay there right away so I'll get in. Last year, I almost did not get in his class. Hubby waited too long to send payment and the class sold out. He emailed Leni and told her his delima and she put me on the waiting list (I did not know about this) Well in January he emailed her and someone had just cancelled. He sent the payment and I found out when the card came in the mail saying I was in the class. I was so excited!

I am going to handle this myself this year because I don't want to miss out. As soon as Tom Post everything on his sight regarding this class, send your payment right away. It sells out super fast because the things Rik does at the Tom Bishop show are what Rik calls his "One Night Stands". He only makes them for that class and he makes no more. It's great to know too since that means there are less than 20 of that same kit floating around the world. Last years class was only 16. He sold his model of the Storybook cottage/toadwood vale cottage for $1600.00 Our mouth was wide opened when he told us so since I can not afford for him to make me one, I can make my own and use his parts and creativity.

:D

Every year I have him do something on mine though. In The dungeon he did the fireplace, On my Borgin and Burkes he did half a wall of bricks for me and this year he helped me with the side wall of stones. It is so funny how we all get the same kit and they all end up looking different.

It's just like how our Arthur kits are Linda. The same but different.

I would LOVE for you both to come! I would be so excited!! ;)

Tracy,

I was going to say "ouch" about the price of his class but to be honest I was a thinking it might even be higher than that. I wonder what one of Carringtons classes costs to take. I definitely don't have that kind of money laying around right now (for airfair, hotel room, meals and class) but at least I have time to work on it !! ;) How awesome it would be to meet you and Linda at a Miniature show!! Thanks for all the info on his class - it sounds Super! One more question if you don't mind - you mentioned that the Tom Bishop show is in September... I would think if the Pierce class was then it would already be sold out - when is the show with his class? You can tell I haven't had my morning coffee yet cant you :D

-David

David, no this Blaze is one that kids can actually ride on. He's a black and white pinto with a red saddle blanket. He goes up and down and his legs move in a galloping motion. He used to talk when you pulled his string, but mine no longer does. Of course the mini copy I made doesn't move or talk.

Hollycliff,

I remember those! Wow - of course by the time I ever saw an ad for one of those I was too old for it - wouldn'tcha know it? But darn those were cool! I think that is one of the coolest toys for young kids they ever came out with.

-David