4.3 earthquake: Off to a "bumpy" start today in Illinois

what2craftnow

I know a 4.3 earthquake is no big newsworthy thing for most - but here in Illinois, we just don't have them that often. It woke us up here. I just thought the dumb dog had jumped up on our bed and was going to yell at him - but he was not even in the room. LOL

My teenage son on the other hand, was convinced someone or something had run across our roof! :) Like anyone would be out running roofs at 4am after a semi-big snowstorm...kids, gotta love 'em.

Did anyone else feel the earth move this morning? Just curious. Seems Mother Earth has been doing a lot of "shifting" lately :flowers:

I felt one in Philadelphia once, in the early 70's. I woke up during the night from the sound of what seemed to be an explosion. In the morning I found out we'd had a little earthquake.

I got curious, and just found this about earthquakes in the northeast, seems we've had quite a few little quakes over the years.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/sta...nia/history.php

If you scroll down the side bar you can get info on quakes by state.

We had a small quake in Maine a few years ago, but I didn't notice it.

We rarely get them here in England and about 18 months ago I experienced my first. It was the biggest for several decades but I don't recall the measure. I was working late and it was about 01:00 a.m. when the whole house seemed to shake, it happened so quickly but I recall seeing what appeared to be the corner of the room actually moving. this was followed by a loud bang - and then nothing - no cracks or damage. John was asleep so I woke him up and said I think we have just had an earthquake, he said "don't be silly it was probably just Mai (siamese cat) jumping off the dresser" rolled over and went back to sleep.

Isn't it about time for the New Madrid faultline to move a BIG one? Like rerouting the Mississippi River again?

It will happen some day, though scientists have no way of knowing if it'll be within our lifetimes or 200 or more years from now.

Yesterday I happened to find a scientific article about the mountain in the Canary Islands sliding into the sea and forming a 100 foot tidal wave that will come sweeping across the Atlantic.

It said that won't happen, that mountains don't collapse that way, and that the original source of the story was a university department that was looking for massive publicity to get more funding for themselves.

I have figured out the best route inland, though, just to be on the safe side. The trouble in Maine is, only small backroads lead inland.

As a native Californian, they're just part of life. I could probably tell you a few stories . . .

One hit at night after the kids were in bed. They were sharing a bunk bed, and my older son was complaining, "James, stop shaking the bed!"

:)

I had heard that this quake wasn't on the New Madrid fault. But as for the New Madrid, I was just watching a program on earthquake survival a couple days ago and they were saying something like a huge quake on that faultline had a 95% chance of happening in the next 30 years. Think I'll stay on the West Coast here. :ohyeah:

Wow, living in California I am right near a fault so I'm used to them. I didn't think they had earthquakes over there. But I also didn't think we had tornadoes here and a couple weeks ago there was a small one in Long Beach (where I was working that day). Nature is so unpredictable.

I was listening to a San Francisco based radio station on the computer and they issued a tornado warning for parts of Santa Clara county a couple weeks ago. I lived there 25 years and never heard such a thing. They broke into the radio program with one of those warning things and I expected them to say it was test like they always do. Imagine my surprise when they came on and said tornado warning! I had never heard one of those alarms ever being anything but a test too, so there were two firsts in one fell swoop!