i have lost my mind

ilovecats

I am sure some of you are aware that i am greedy and obsessed with finding fun dollhouses. The house that kicked off this craze was the Garfield. I daydreamed about it, decorated it and designed things in my head for months on end. I had the instructions on the table next to my bed and i looked and looked at the pictures EVERY night before i went to bed. Then something happened. I bought another kit and lost interest in building the Garfield. I decided that "one of these days" i would build it. Then i purchased other kits and decided that the Garfield would be the last one on my list to build. Then Andrew expressed interest in the kit. I was happy for him and it was his. I didn't think i would rekindle my interest in this kit, but this past week for some reason I have renewed my interest and have gone back to daydreaming how i would decorate and design things if i just had one. So now i want a Garfield :angry: :p:( Now i am obsessed with the thought of having one. I have lost my mind. Why do i want another kit???? Aside from the fact that it's an awesome house.....so the plan is to buy one probably by the end of the summer. Possibly in July when Ernie has his 20% off sale for the 4th of july. My thoughts go back to that front porch and climbing roses rambling over the porch posts......and following uppity cat's awesome ideas for taking out certain walls in the house to give it a more open feel. I am going to use a curved staircase on the first floor and......okay i'll stop...for now :D ;)

I have lost my mind. Why do i want another kit????

Marg--I don't have near as many kits as you, but--I do have 2 kits that I've not started on yet, and I have found myself "watching" 2 or 3 more on ebay, and thinking what I could do to them, and then the next thought is where do I put them.

(arguing with little voice in head) I really like that kit I really want that kit--If all else fails, it can sit on the washer or dryer when not in use, the kids really don't come home that often--that bedroom would really make a nice room for displaying the houses--gk probably wouldn't mind sleeping bags--that would give me two rooms to put them in. We could eat of tv trays, so that would free up the kitchen table (dining table is designated work area)

So until this argument is settled, I wouldn't say you've lost your mind--it's the addiction. :angry: :(:p

I

supposed to argue with it

Guess not, I went ahead and placed a bid :angry: :( So it was a waste of time argueing, should've known to just ignore it to start with.

Marg -

I totally understand. As a collector, each dollhouse has its own unique characteristics. The way a stairway winds or is situated, the shape of a window, a front porch. When I browse through my HBS catalogue (frequently) to look at the dollhouses, I imagine how I would do up each house.

I think that most of us on this site, dream not of owning and building "a" dollhouse or a "couple of" dollhouses. We aspire to have a village.

What would life be like without our hopes and dreams.

For many years some of my dreams were unachievable (a close family that gets together for the holidays and summer cookouts). I always thought that "one day" .... when our careers were more settled we'd have the time.... when the kids were not in school or in so many activities ... when tax season is over (brother who's an accountant) .... when Ray isn't working shifts ... when my brother's bookstore in Jasper was doing better and he could hire more relief staff ..........maybe my sister's allergies to my cats and my brother's dogs will get better .... on and on ..... and I waited ..... but we're older now ... my brothers and sisters kids are grown ..... and we still don't get together. And I've gotten used to it being just Ray and I. I'm not so sure that if we all did ever get together that I wouldn't find it overwhelming.

But building dollhouses and making my minatures .... this is under my control. And I like it.

-Susanne

I have never built a dollhouse before. So Christmas my husband asks me what I would like. Being I always enjoyed my dollhouse when I was young I always wanted one again. So guess what I got a dollhouse for Christmas. Of course I picked out one of the biggest.. :D I was attracted to the wrap around porch. So it sat in my basement until March. Then I began and am now addicted to it. I wonder if hubby is regretting getting me this gift. Oh well... <_< Also hooked on e-bay where I have been picking up some furniture for my new obsession. If you want, overstock.com has the Garfield for $199. That's where I got mine. Did I tell you I just love this hobby :D

I have the same problem. Completely obsessed with doll houses. I have about 8 now and no idea where to put them but here is my saying.

Doll houses are like babies, they arrive unexpectedly but somehow you manage to find the room for another <_<.

Marg -

I totally understand. As a collector, each dollhouse has its own unique characteristics. The way a stairway winds or is situated, the shape of a window, a front porch. When I browse through my HBS catalogue (frequently) to look at the dollhouses, I imagine how I would do up each house.

I think that most of us on this site, dream not of owning and building "a" dollhouse or a "couple of" dollhouses. We aspire to have a village.

What would life be like without our hopes and dreams.

But building dollhouses and making my minatures .... this is under my control. And I like it.

-Susanne

I so completely agree! Glad to know others feel the same way :D

I have never built a dollhouse before. So Christmas my husband asks me what I would like. Being I always enjoyed my dollhouse when I was young I always wanted one again. So guess what I got a dollhouse for Christmas. Of course I picked out one of the biggest.. :D I was attracted to the wrap around porch. So it sat in my basement until March. Then I began and am now addicted to it. I wonder if hubby is regretting getting me this gift. Oh well... <_< Also hooked on e-bay where I have been picking up some furniture for my new obsession. If you want, overstock.com has the Garfield for $199. That's where I got mine. Did I tell you I just love this hobby :D

Your house is beautiful!!! Very nice work! I'll keep an eye out for when i'm ready to by the Garf!

I have the same problem. Completely obsessed with doll houses. I have about 8 now and no idea where to put them but here is my saying.

Doll houses are like babies, they arrive unexpectedly but somehow you manage to find the room for another ;).

:lol: ;)

Doll houses are like babies, they arrive unexpectedly but somehow you manage to find the room for another <_<.

Love that saying.....So true. After my Garfield I will certainly be looking to bring another one into the world!

What she said :D

I am so glad to be among like-minded individuals! One day a few years from now I plan to have a room with so many completed dollhouses on display in it that people who see it will either be in awe - or they will doubt my sanity <_<

We don't get that much company though - so I'm not concerned about it!

Doll houses are like babies, they arrive unexpectedly but somehow you manage to find the room for another
I need to convince DH of that!

most of us on this site, dream not of owning and building "a" dollhouse or a "couple of" dollhouses. We aspire to have a village.

And I told him that, too!

It is fun to chat with people here who totally understand the love of minatures.

Ray is on night shifts (gone 5:00 P.M. to 6:00 A.M.), then he sleeps till 4/4:30 - gets up - eats and goes back to work.

So I spent the day talking to checking out dollhouse miniature sites (yeah, I did order a few things), thumbing through back issues of mini magazines (Nutshell News), and working on some 1/4 scale items. Why? Just because I felt like it. Anyway, the tiny cradle I was working on wasn't looking anything like the photo on the instructions, so I threw the instructions and photo away and made my own cradle. I'm really pleased with the one I made. I searched through my dollhouse supplies and found a tiny little clay "piglet" (less than 1 cm .... sorry ... less than 1/2 inch in height) and snuggled him into the bedding of the cradle. Don't ask me how I had so small a figure, you know how it is .... saw him on Ebay and just had to have him! Good thing, because today I needed him.

Anyway, I showed Ray while he was eating his dinner ... he sort of looked ... and said "that's nice" ... which really means "why did you make that and what are you going to do with it?"

The batteries on my camera are recharging, and I'm going back to the kitchen to work on the 1/4 scale rocking chair. Tomorrow I'll post some pictures.

-Susanne

BTW, after Ray went to work I actually went over to the grocery store and bought a Shepherd's Pie for Ray for his dinner tomorrow (it's a meat dish covered in mashed potatoes). I just need to pop it in the oven to warm it for him. Maybe he needs some meat. I've had pneumonia for the past couple of weeks and haven't felt much like making meals. Feeling quite a bit better today (finally).

Susanne has nailed it. We build our own little worlds.

I know this feeling - to be obsessed with the idea to buy/ own something! I'm dreaming of building my own designed dollhouse - I just can't stop thinking about this. I have planned every single detail in my head - just need to make it reality one day! But first I need a bigger 1/1 house to have space for the 1/12 one, hehe! My problem is - I'm feeling the same with 1/1 stuff too. Three days ago I saw a really ugly HUGE frame - it is black and very trashy baroque. Even my mom said it looked horrible! BUT - I couldn't stop thinking of it! So, the following day I had to buy it! And now, while I'm sitting in front of my PC, I can see this ugly thing on the wall. Well, am I happier now? Not really, maybe a little bit! Haha! I wonder what my friends will say about this ugly frame - I bet they will be scared of me! Oh, tomorrow I will go back to the shop cause I just can't stop thinking of a huge, trashy mirror! Where is my shrink? Haha!

Actually I'd really like to take a pic of this place and the various stockrooms of kits. Don't know how many we have now, at last count it was 40, but there's more since then. We're going to need a BIG room to display this collection, there are quite a few of the huge house kits. Like the Garf, Beacon Hill, Federal, Foxhall, Montclair, Queen Anne 2, Grosvenor, and there's a few others. But that little lot would take up a sizeable chunk of real estate on its own.