my poor baby

nuttiwebgal

we now know That Catriona is allergic to poison something.

we have this stuff that grows all over the yard and Hubby tries to keep it under control

but she was weed eating and didnt realise she picked up a handful of the stuff....Dad made her go in and wash up but she must have touched her face.

yesterday morning she had a spot on her chin...today her whole face is covered and her neck...she is miserable. we told her dont rub it..itll spread.

Im thinking a trip to the ER may be nessecary

poor kid is miserable!

nutti :lol:

we now know That Catriona is allergic to poison something.

we have this stuff that grows all over the yard and Hubby tries to keep it under control

but she was weed eating and didnt realise she picked up a handful of the stuff....Dad made her go in and wash up but she must have touched her face.

yesterday morning she had a spot on her chin...today her whole face is covered and her neck...she is miserable. we told her dont rub it..itll spread.

Im thinking a trip to the ER may be nessecary

poor kid is miserable!

bummer! sounds like a trip to the ER is a good thought. She may need steroid therapy. One thing to worry about is something called cellulitis which is a skin infection. I've had it before (from working out in the yard with a weedeater and some poison sumac - we had that in the yard when i live in Georgia). Since it's a holiday weekend, i wouldn't wait until tuesday to take her to the doctor. Hope it clears up quickly.

I agree with Marg & Holly, but you might also want to buy that Aveeno Oatmeal bath, it might help soothe and it all else fails, I use to put baking soda in the tub with my kids.

Benadryl will help with the itch, the main issue on the face is getting it around the eyes, it can get very nasty. An ER visit is in order. And as an ER RN of 8 years, I don't recommend that lightly, I hate inappropriate ER visits.

well thanks to one of my GF we seem to have dodged the trip to the ER so far.

we have been giving her benedryl and my friend gave her some ointment prescribed by her DR. has steriods in it. we saw definate improvements with one treatment.....but I havent seen her this am so going to the ER could still happen.

I hope not...its always a waiting H&## whenever we are forced to go!

thanks for all the kind words.

well she woke up with more patches now spreading to back and arms.

we thought we had dodged getting it in the eye but this am signs were there.

so DH has taken her to the ER. hopefully they will be able to give her some relief.

poor kid.

now that everyone is allergic to the crap in our yard...HOW do we get rid of it.

we have a huge patch of Poisin Ivy that comes back every year and this poison sumac.

ok Gardners what do we do?

I hope Catorina feels better soon. I been checking the board to see how she is doing.

As for the poison ivy and sumac. I googled how to get rid of the plants.

1) use round up or ortho ivy killer. With these you will probably kill any surounding plants that you do want. The ortho stuff says it won't kill trees.

2) Pull the plants out by the roots. You will have to dig atleast 8" to get all the roots and runners. Or cut off the plant at the base. Don't let any leaves grow topside at all. The roots will eventually give up and die. This takes several years.

3)Hire a herd of goats. They can eat the stuff. You will still have to dig up the roots. The roots are just a posionous.

The info I found also says to contact the local agraculture department for help in getting rid of it. I think I would dress up in hospital bio hazard gear, cut the plants and the roots and poor round up on the remaining roots and strat my garden over again next spring.

Please let us know how Catorina is doing.

well she has her shot and nice expensive cream.

so I feel she shall have a full recovery...what a way to start the summer vacation...

so Ortho roundup...ok telling DH

we are not concerned about other plants as this is our whole yard and one of our trees.

and we live in town.

thanks for the support! and all the suggestions.

Lynette, I hope it turns out good for her quickly. Sending well wishes her way!! remember that you should be careful even with her clothes and other things she has touched because she or the rest of you, can get infected.

My son had a really bad case of it no his hand one year. Found out he had used someones pencil at school who had ome into contact with that stuff and his hand and arm broke out. The doctor told me to be sure to launder his clothes seperate from the rest of us till it starts healing.

:lol:

I hope she will be well soon. Nice cool baths!

Spray the heck out of it with any weed killer. If you can find a specific one for poison oak/ivy go for it.

When you are done disposing of it, THROW AWAY THE GLOVES!! Dont touch them. Dont wash them. Dont reuse them. The oils can stay on them for long periods of time.

If he has to walk around in it, I would wear sneaks and clothes that dont matter, and throw them away too. You dont want to run the risk of getting infected. Even dead poison ivy can give you a reaction.

TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS. (i am having flashback itches)