shingling tips?

macduff

Does anyone have any tips on cutting shingles to fit around dormers and gable roofs? I've been eyeballing the angles and it's very frustrating having to keep cutting away until I get the angle right. I was thinking there must be a way to make a template, but I don't know how, and am hoping some of you on the forum will have some clever tips!!! Thanks!

You could use a piece of typing/copy paper or other soft paper, like tissue or newsprint. Cut it roughly to shape and then press it into the angles to get the exact size/shape of the section you're working on.

Personally, I just eyeball it and clip. After a few rows, it seems to flow pretty well.

I just finished a 144th scale dollhouse...talk about SMALL shingles! I swore I would never follow the instructions for making that house again...they said to put the dormers on, THEN the shingles. NOT! Next time I'm putting the shingles on before the dormers!

Kathie is right tho...with a little practice you'll be able to "eyeball" it and do the cuts just right the first time (or maybe the second :ohyeah: ).

Another way to do it, which takes some planning ahead, is to make a template of the roof before you put the dormers/gable roofs on. Then you can pretty much use the template to cut the angles - but they'll still have to be trimmed a bit.

Thanks all for the tips! Sherry, thanks for the link - it never occurred to me to start with the angled shingle and work out from there. I will try that! It looks like a much easier way to go than trying to cut all different little angled pieces.

Boy that is the best tip! I had no idea you start there. I started on the left lower side and kept going until I got to the gable and wham...I had no idea what to do and made a mess of it! lol I saved that terrific pic of your roof Sherry! It may save me! :ohyeah:

I didn't use the easy-cutter with this. All of the shingles on one side are the same degree of angle. So you get one exactly right and then use it as a pattern to cut all the rest. Very little actual measuring to do, just establish the angle for each portion of the roof and cut the template, then all you have to do is cut and glue them on! And if you read his whole tutorial, he shows you how to cut them with a pair of scissors so that they don't split. It goes really quickly that way.