Stained Glass Windows

madtex1967

Hello Everyone!

I am sure this has been covered in the forum before, but I am curious the best way to simulate stained glass windows. I have seen the liquid lead in a tube used and then filled in with the paints. I don't like the uneven lines you get from this, especially if you don't have the steadiest of hands! :( I have read of others using tape, but unsure what that may be like. Also are the paints or the pens the best way to color the windows?

I am working on my kitbashed Garfield and thinking ahead on the windows I want to install. I like the patterns you can get from the peel and stick window patterns, but want something more realistic.

Any help, ideas, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Matt

I've done stained glass in a 1/24" scale house by printing on transparency sheets and it's worked out pretty well. It's not very dimensional that way, but in the smaller scale it works. I'm not sure how it would look in 1/12" scale.

I made a reall cool stain glass window in my garf before I changed my front door. I took an image put it behind mi glass traced over the lines with a thin black sharpie ,and colored the lines with the liqued paint. I didn't know they made pens. . . I used a very fine brush.

I used transparancies for my Garfield. They don't stand out particularly but they do look good when there is a light behind them.

gallery_4015_2790_815973.jpg

I got them from a site that makes them to measure for your windows. If you want the url pm me.

In the two entries I did for August 24 in my Team Arthur blog I described how I made a "stained glass" replacement for one of the missing acetate inserts. I drew a cartoon of the picture I wanted and taped it to the desk and lay the piece of acetate from a piece of packaging over it and taped it and loaded a liner brush with black acrylic paint straight from the tube to draw my "lead" lines; lovely dimensional effect when dry! I then mixed the colors I wanted my window to be and used some acrylic gel medium to make them translucent and painted in the spaces.

I used Gallery Glass to do my real window sidelights on my front door. Everyone thought they were real stained glass. Maybe you could do it on a dollhouse window? It takes a little practice but even shakey lines kind of fill out when they dry and don't look bad in my opinion. The only thing is the leading lines might be a little thick for the scale.

I also used a printie from Jim's site, the Autumn one. I put it in the kitchen bay window of the McKinley. I agree with Holly in that they don't show up super good in pictures, but they sure are pretty! I have thought about putting a couple of battery operated lights in the bay ceiling and in the tower where I also have printed stained glass, to help show those off a little more.

middle_small.jpg