Need identification on a mini brass item

justmesue

I got some Clare Bell brass items as part of a grabbag.What is a mortar and pestal used for? I have this cute little brass pot thingy and a brass thing that looks like a bat sits inside it. I went to a mini sight, and it's listed as a mortar and pestal, but for the life of me I'm clueless as to what it is. Not knowing what it is, leaves me not knowing where in the dollhouse I'm supposed to display it. Thanks.

Lots of things! They used to use them to grind medicines long ago, herbalists use them, and in Mexico, they have neat stone ones they use to grind corn meal for tortillas.

PS-the ones in Mexico have been around since the beginning of time, I think, and are usually made of a very coarse stone that helps with the grinding process. The American Indians had them, usually a big flat rock for the bowl part and a long rounded rock almost like a rolling pin. They would use them so long and so much that the flat rock would develop a slight depression like a bowl. We have an Indian campsite and cave paintings on the farm, and they found a beautiful pounding rock there once. The museum at Tech has it now, though. I guess mortar and pestle sets are one of the earliest kitchen utensils!

I love mortars and pestals! I've got several tucked around here and there in my dollhouses. I have to real life sized, one in my kitchen and another that I use for herbs and such. My favorite is made from marble because it has such a nice weight and balance to it.

Deb

:) hello to all

do anyone of you know of a book that has miniature makers marks . i have this book for s moment i thought she was looking for a marks . it is so interestig . very thick but i have so piece that have marks on them. so of anyone does nothave this book i would glad to help anyone look up marks on the bottom of you pece si am glad your gettng help .

jane :0) :D

Yes, mortars and pestles (sp?) are very handy in the kitchen for grinding things like rosemary seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, or grinding dried herbs, or combining herbs and spices into a fine powder or paste. I have a larger one (about 6 oz capacity) and a smaller one, both of which I use all the time.