Vic's farmhouse- I screwed up!!

You will have but just a little peice of tape showing on the outside front edge. What I did on 1 house, was to give that about 3 coats of paint, the same color as the house, and it doesn't show. I used strip wood on the other ones, same results. Best of luck with the lights!

how is it coming along? I'm anxious to see pictures and see how it looks with the new staircase arrangement. I'm back to working on mine, looks like this is going to take right at a year to finish...if I'm lucky! But I do love it!!

Still waiting for my hubby to put the tapewire in! Gotta deal with home repair from the giant hailstones first. Yuk! But, I've painted the house and I'll add pics. Its yellow, and I've had to tone it down 2x now bc it was blinding at first!

Paint so far, and I've actually toned that yellow down quite a bit! Not sure about shutter color- the green and blue are from cans of paint I had handy.

You can see where the smooth MDF just wasn't holding the paint! Kilz time!

gallery_3298_3209_491711.jpg

Yes, but it's sure worth the trouble. I love this house and can't wait to do the porch and landscaping on it. I did get the bathroom and kitchen 'kinda' finished and that is exciting. Still have to make curtains for the bedroom and living room, and then I can start hanging pictures, all that fun stuff! Pictures in my album if you want to see!

Ummmm, Ohhhhhh, I think I put my 2nd floor in wrong too!!!! I have been reading this post almost everyday trying to figure out how you know if you put it on wrong and well.... I think mine is wrong too.!!! But Unfortunatly I am too far done with it to fix it.!!

I have to finish up the porches..

My house is light yellow with green shutters and some burgondy on the trim. !!

Kellee

Y'all DO realize that the instructions are just a suggestion, right?

Insctructions, constructions, obstructions, destructions etc etc etc...

And if you were a man, you wouldn't be caught dead using instructions!

:lol: oh how true!!!! Those most often gets hadned over to me who likes to go through them just because and when things at times go "wrong" or on a detour I can make a little off hand suggestion borrowed from "somewhere" :giggle: LOL

Hugs

I did the same thing with the Alison Jr. and the stairwell ended up in a bad location, making the stairs come out into the opening of the stairwell below. What I did to fix it was to take the two halves of the stairs and create a split staircase with a central landing. This way the stairs came down like an "L". I enclosed the inside of the "L" to make a false wall that could be pulled out, stairs and all, so I actually ended up getting two rooms out of my grand mistake! I would post pics but the dollhouse is hiding in storage. Mistakes are just an opportunity for creativity that you might have been too timid to try otherwise!! :violin:

• 1 month later...

I read the instructions but they don't make sense to me. I have my own idea on the "order" of things and I don't understand how they are written. The instuctions on the VT FH JR have you gluing the whole thing together first and I really prefer to decorate as much as possible before I assemble. Is there a problem with that? Newbies probably shouldn't do their own thing huh? RGT doesn't label the front and back etc very well maybe there isn't a difference except the second floor where the stairs go?

OK Holly stop laughing at me...I can't help being confused most of the time! :)

Newbies probably shouldn't do their own thing huh?
I will differ with you (and you knew I would!lol) Absolutely do your own thing, but do try reading over the instructions a few times to try to get a general idea of how it was intended to be built before totally reinventing the wheel. Instruction sheets are proof that each one of us is an individual and not all individuals think/ understand things the same way.
Holly stop laughing at me
I do not laugh at people who are genuinely confused, I try to help out.

The very first dh we ever built was the ONLY one DH ever built, a "scratch build using the single sheet of plywood book from Dover Publications, and the pattern for the second floor was printed backwards, so we had the devil's own time getting it to fit! A lost of what some folks call "insight" is actually "hindsight"!

• 1 month later...

Have you made any progress on your house? I'd love to see how the stairs turned out. Here is a peek at the little bit I've gotten done, I'm down to shingling the roof, now. Then touch up the paint and start landscaping.

I just made these cushions this week, and hope to find a really good hanging basket for this part of the porch at the mini show next weekend. Mine are just not nice enough for the front doorway!

gallery_3692_2556_291561.jpg