I bought this house from micheals

asherah

I'm going to use the one with the bay windows. I've been looking at pictures from the movie and that's quite similar. I'll leave off the porch, bay windows, and window trim. Then add some half timbering and window ledges, and 'plaster it, and try one of the fur thatched roofs on it. Egg carton stone fireplace and chimney, plaster walls, and homemade looking furniture. It should be a real challenge!

These dolls are just the right size, about 3 inches for snow and the prince, the dwarves are about 2 inches. I sure don't know what to suggest for dolls, there's only one set I've seen anywhere in half size and HBS has them. Not real impressed with them.

As far as scale, we're talking about fantasy houses, so I don't worry about it too much!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is why I bought a set of stairs. You could recut the stringers (make new ones) and have the steps closer or just add a step in between each existing step. That would make it right. You could use the stair treads from the other houses you didn't put stairs in.

Well I got Nada done yesterday after I built the widow seat and hunted for dolls. I might have to resort to those clay pushmolds after all and just not show their backs since they are flat-sided! Now we are talking about the stairs not being right they are buggin me...too late already glued in and part of the scene! :rofl:

Don't worry about the stairs! I probably won't either. After all, look at the door on the one with the verandah! These are not to scale and there's no sense worrying about it. I think that's why I keep making fairy/gnome houses. They're not so picky!

I don't know if I will be able to think in one inch scale after these! As it is I have all kinds of things going on in the Puzzles! I am going for the over all affect and to heck with it! On another thread someone was talking about those push molds. I made one just to see what would happen. I used some generic clay and just stuffed it in the mold. I pushed it out onto a piece of wax paper and set it on my table on the deck in the sun....it wasn't bad. Maybe painted it could work in my house! Always hope! LOL Just keep their backs to the wall and don't look in the window from the front!

Hey, my doors don't have hinges and are glued shut so what is the problem with flat people and funny stairs? :rofl:

All right you guys! As if I didn't have enough taking up space in my basement 'bower,' you've convinced me to get the puzzle houses! Is the furniture kit decent? I've seen some really cute stuff here on this thread which gives me hope.

You're welcome, Roxie. I'm no expert by any means, but I learn quickly. Personally, I don't think I will seal the puzzle houses for a couple of reasons: 1) the sealant can be expensive, and 2) the houses are not expensive! I'll probably just do my usual two coats of primer, omitting the sealer, and paint or whatever from there. On any other kit though, I always seal (unless I'm going to stain.) I feel the larger, more expensive kits should be treated as such so I always seal them. Remember, though, if there are any pieces you wish to stain (flooring, stairs, trim, etc.) do not seal them as the stain won't "take."

P.S. Sorry, but no pics in a gallery. Yet! Bought a good digital camera and once I get it figured out I'll tackle the gallery thing! The (wooden) Orchid was my first build and took me (only?) three weeks, top to bottom, paint and all! I loved it and it is probably still one of my favorite builds.

Well, here is Beulah, my fairy godmother. Pitiful, huh? Working with fimo is just nothing like working with old fashioned clay, but I guess I'll get used to it. She's the first thing I've tried besides pumpkins and other round veggies! I wish you could see her lopsided grin better, it was a mistake but I love it!

gallery_3692_3243_19805.jpg

Oh My gosh she is just too cute! I love her expression!!!!!

I am laughing right now just looking at this... sooooooooo creative and adorable! :rofl:

Ellen...the first Puzzle house I did I lightly sprayed the main sides with acrylic spray but the one I am working on now I didn't bother and this one didn't warp or anything. I was wondering if I sprayed the Orchid parts with the acrlic sealer instead of painting on sealer if it would work. I have all this spray sealer left over from a friend of mine who did paintings. It sure would be faster...I could lay them out on my deck and hit them in and afternoon.

What do ya think?

I am down another digital camera...I break everyone of them dang it! :)

I've been meaning to mention this for a while, but I've noticed that a seller on Etsy has some whimsical little dolls that might work for the puzzle houses. I am not sure of their size, as I haven't looked closely but you might want to check them out.

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?sea...query=dollhouse

This link isn't just for the dolls, it is to all the Etsy dollhouse stuff. I have found a LOT of awesome stuff on Etsy! And, I like Etsy because you buy it at the price listed . . . none of that annoying bidding war stuff to deal with!

I always see that ETSY in searches but never knew what it was...is it like ebay?

Well, yes and no . . . it isn't as huge as ebay, but it does have a great variety of stuff. Plus, as I mentioned before - you don't have to bid. The price listed is the actual price. So, in that respect, I like it better.

You know, I've looked at Etsy, but I dislike the way it is organized, so I always get tired of hunting for things and give up. I guess I'm spoiled to Ebay's categories and just too lazy to dig for things! At the beginning, wasn't it strictly handmade items?

I looked at the site and I agree there doesn't seem to be a lot of organization and it does seem to be homemade.

I am searching for these small wooden parts that are used to make Little Folks. Years ago I made tons of them and of course I don't have them now. They would be perfect for the puzzle house. I have the books and traced the company links but can't find them anywhere. If you have no idea what I am babbling about I could scan one so you can see what I am searching for. :rofl:

This is an edit. Its called Little Friends ( not folks). I cant find the wood shape that make the bodies of the bunnies sitting on the Happy Easter sign and also the Pilgrims. I hope its ok to post this picture here I am just trying to find the parts to make dolls. Thanks

post-4159-1248127369_thumb.jpg

Sherry

Thats why I was asking if anyone had seen them. I can't find that kidney bean shaped piece of wood. I even looked up the book and the company but couldn't find the shape. I also checked various wood craft dealers but no luck. It figures...I had made a bunch of them for every holiday and occasion imaginable.

Maybe someone will come up with them.

I tired to download the updated version of the Orchid instructions from this site but after it downloaded when I tried to open it said the files were damaged. This is the second time in a couple of weeks I tried with the same results....spinning my wheels as usual here lol :rofl: I am done whining for now.

Roxxie, I have only used the acrylic sealer spray on wallpaper and small, finished painted projects. Never as the main sealant on a house. I really couldn't comment if it would work or not; that question should be posed to a higher authority! Greenleaf recommends a 50/50 mixture of shellac and denatured wood alcohol - it's all I've ever used, has worked great, and I'm sticking with it as the majority of houses I build are quite large, can be expensive, and I'd like them to last. There are other options out there, though.

Re: "Little Friends." You couldn't find the parts, the links, or the company? I'd be interested in knowing more about them myself! Darling little things! Is there a toll-free phone number on the catalog you can call? Maybe they're out of business or perhaps operating under a different name?

Curious about the download of those Orchid instructions. Go to the "Front Office" and ask them about your download issues - they're full of great information. Perhaps they can snail mail (or email or PM) you a set. I used the instructions that came with the kit with no problems whatsoever. Good luck with that!

I don't know why the sealer wouldn't work. You're going to paint or stain over it anyway, so the wood won't be exposed. If that's what you've got, go ahead and use it.

As for the instructions, they charge $6 per set. I found that out when I lost my storybook instructions. But if you have the original set, use those and ask questions here. There are plenty of people who have done the Orchid and can help you. Or just write and tell them that the instructions file won't open for you. But I'm betting you will do just fine with the instructions you have!

I think that you can paint over acrylic sealer with acrylic paints they are same based so why not? I would never be able to use that shellac/alcohol mix anyway.

I am almost done with my second puzzle house...thinking of making a Halloween house for the last one..

If I had storage space in this house I would be in trouble lol

Making a ceiling fan is harder than I thought!

I can't wait to see this one-how did you make a ceiling fan?

I couldn't make myself scribe another hardwood floor, so I'm doing flagstone in the bottom room of Snow White's house. Then I'll look for a printie to make hardwood floors upstairs. I think this will be my last puzzle house for a bit. I want to do my Storybook!

I can't wait to see this one-how did you make a ceiling fan?

I couldn't make myself scribe another hardwood floor, so I'm doing flagstone in the bottom room of Snow White's house. Then I'll look for a printie to make hardwood floors upstairs. I think this will be my last puzzle house for a bit. I want to do my Storybook!

Perhaps you might find something at Jim's printables here http://www.printmini.com/printables/pq.shtml that would work for your flooring? Can't wait to see your Storybook either, I have one in a box sooooo eager to get free so to speak.

Hugs

Wow wow wow! I finallly got my dsl! I can join the rest of the world now and may never get off my computer!

I made a non working ( of course) ceiling fan for my new house. I have been giving hints on what I have been making but I am going to wait until I get it more together before I take a pic..tee hee!

I was tempted to get that storybook but want to make my Orchid first!

:unsure: