I bought this house from micheals

asherah

hmmm Sherry..I save Crystal Light type containers and Stan's pringles can's with the lids for stuff. Cottage cheese, yogurt containers if they have lids anything like that you could even put them inside and glue the lids on?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same problem, Sherry. Broken glass too- or knives. Always worried it'll tear the garbage bag, or cut someone else.

Glass jars are a solution- like sauce jars. I'd worry about using Crystal Light and Pringles cans because they're just cardboard- and I've seen how easily blades can pop through that. Since your husband uses needles like that, you should see about getting a SHARPS container like they use at hospitals- I know they have services to dispose of them, since you're not supposed to throw those sorts of things in the trash. I can ask my mother (She used to work as a CNA/CMA for residential elderly care) if she knows anything about how to get them, if you want.

As a last resort, you can take masking or duct tape and wrap the holy heck out of the blades. We did that with a loose razor blade I used on a fish tank to scrape the mineral deposits off- it was fine till we needed the thing again! Then I had to peel all that icky stick crud off! It kept the sharp edge from cutting, and since my son was pretty little then (not even three) you can understand how nervous I was about that thing!

WELL onto the dollhouses >.> I got the "gabled" house into dryfit, and pulled the veranda house out of the sheets and discovered something. Most of those lovely slots for the tabs are TOO SMALL! It's almost breaking the wood to get them through, and getting them out is worse. One of the bottom tabs all but exploded on me! It had a really nasty bad spot in the space between the outer layers that just crumbled. Dark reddish brownish gross dust... ick. Thankfully it's a middle tab, so not as big a deal.

Charissa, I had the same problem with the verandah house and had to shave and sand almost all the tabs...what a struggle! I ended up cutting some right off!

The two room one went together perfectly without any trouble at all...I can't figure out why. I am working on that one right now and its so much easier! Someone told me on here to spackle the spaces and cracks etc and that worked out pretty well. It was my first time building so it was good practice. Good luck! :p

Just use your exacto knife and trim a hair off each end of the tab. That will make them fit. Use glue when you stick them in the slots, and then spackle the slots, and they'll be fine with no more explosions!

Michaels sells the exacto blades with a container to put the blunted ones in. You could always push them into some styrofoam, and if you wanted to - tape up the whole thing before putting it in the garbage.

I hope Greenleaf does bring out some half-scale houses, as this thread proves that they can be lots of fun!

I haven't had any problems with any of the tabs on either house. I had to shave some a bit smaller, but that's it.

I am going to go with the 2 windows the same size and just put the fridge on the opposite wall. I like the kitchen with the sink under the window, but I don't like how the windows look then. Had I gotten the kitchen set sooner, I would have just made the window a bit higher or something. Too late now.

I took a different route. Used my dremel to sand out and enlarge the slots a little. It worked pretty well, actually. The gabled house I had no issues with, but the veranda? OH BOY. I was amazed at how easily it fell apart till those shims were stuffed onto the front!! I turned it at one point to adjust the downstairs inner wall, and lost the roof and side wall just from shifting it enough to get at the wall O.o

My son has been playing with the gabled puzzle house all afternoon. The puzzle furniture, too. I was working on sanding it, and now he has his Legos Duplo guy in there wandering around... he loves it! But he says he wants the "other" house - ie, the veranda. He was saying it's "beautiful" :p

I tried to get a picture, but he's gone all weirdly camera shy recently... this from the kid who used to be the world's biggest camera hog! He was getting up to run away when I grabbed the shot...

NathanDollhouse0001.jpg

He looks like a sweetie-pie in both pictures - I hope he grows up to be as appreciative of the minis as he's starting out to be! (Rotten sentence structure, I know ... but I'm tired.)

He is a sweetie... sometimes. He's opinionated, stubborn, and very sure of his place.... Does that mean we're raising him right? LOL

I want to get a second furniture kit and house and decorate it just for him to play with. He seems so into the ones I have and they aren't even full sized things. Of course when he gets older I'm sure he'll be horribly embarrassed by playing with a *GASP* dollhouse!! But sheesh, it's not that different from the Fisher Price Little People barn, is it?

I'm out of sandpaper. I can't finish sanding smaller pieces till I get more, so I'll probably work on sanding the large stuff for the veranda house soon. My husband leaves for the next 3 or more weeks Sunday night or Monday morning- I'll be busy this weekend, and pretty blue for awhile after that.

... Of course when he gets older I'm sure he'll be horribly embarrassed by playing with a *GASP* dollhouse!! But sheesh, it's not that different from the Fisher Price Little People barn, is it?

I'm out of sandpaper. I can't finish sanding smaller pieces till I get more, so I'll probably work on sanding the large stuff for the veranda house soon. My husband leaves for the next 3 or more weeks Sunday night or Monday morning- I'll be busy this weekend, and pretty blue for awhile after that.

Well, guys don't play with dolls - but they do play with action figures. I think they're also more comfortable building model buildings as opposed to dollhouses. :p When he's old enough, he can join the many male members of our group - that should help with his "gasps". :)

Do you have emery boards? They're really handy for sanding small bits - they stay flat and don't round off edges.

Minis are wonderful therapy for the blues! This community is also a great place to distract yourself and have fun. :p

I can't believe how long this post is!! I didn't read through the entire thread yet. Went to the Michaels in town here and they only had one house left, and they were clearanced out 50% off. My DH said he could take me to Lansing (30 miles north) and we could see what they had left. The homes were also 50% off, but they had quite a few left. I grabbed the other style and the last furniture set. DH works near Detroit, so he is going to check to see if they have another furniture set there. I plan on saving them for our daughter for xmas.

They don't have any left at our Michael's although they have plenty of the furniture sets. I'm working on my farmhouse while I wait for my wicker LR to show up, so nothing new to add here. I sure can't find a grandmotherly looking figure to live in my house, though. I may have to try fimo...that should be interesting!

Our Michaels is totally out of the puzzles but I have 2 more stashed in the closet.

I cut out windows last night but can't find anything yet to stick them on with. Would tacky glue dry clear? I tried a glue stick but it wouldn't hold.

I glued the stairs together just to see how it fit I never did a stairs before...that was interesting

I don't know who I can put in this house...I can't find little people! I wonder if Polly Pockets would be too big?

I have seen little tinker bells at target. I plan on getting one for my daughter to use for that house. could you turn something like that into an old lady??

Oh - too bad you couldn't find a Cruella DeVille small enough to use! (from 101 dalmations)

You can put blades, needles, ect into plastic laundry soap containers. That way you have a cover for the container. People bring them into the hospital that I work in, in these containers.